IGNORED

Advice on calming nerves

Dale

I have a job interview in front of a panel of 4 well respected, high ranking individuals in an organisation I'd like to be employed by next week, so time is limited.

If the interview was with one or two people, I think I'd be ok, but nerves are already hitting me and I'm worried about how it will all pan out. Could anyone give me any advice/techniques on the situation? How do you go about calming yourself momentarily? Any specific foods I should be avoiding on the day? I don't think there are any prescription drugs out there that can help -- when you consciously know that your heart is beating fast, that's what irritates me.

thanks watmm

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest the anonymous forumite

There are pharmaceuticals that can help you (benzos, beta blockers) but natural way is better:

L-Theanine 400mg + 100 mg GABA and you are good.

Try to visualize the night before the interview going extremely well, creating images of success in your mind helps. And obviously be ready for the interview.

Avoid caffeine and sugar. Drink a fair bit of water the day before and the morning of the interview (keep the brain hydrated). Get a good eight hours sleep the night before, wake yourself up with a cool shower. Arrive about fifteen minutes before the interview, then take the time to go to the toilets and splash your face with water. Have a banana about an hour before the meeting. Eat a nice healthy dinner the night before, maybe some chicken with a load of vegetables or something.

It's all about being alert and confident and remembering that it's just an interview, it's really nothing to be stressed about. One people or four people, makes no difference

Don't make any self deprecating jokes, if you're not confident then act like you are. A firm handshake is VERY important. Nothing gives off a worse first impression than a limp handshake. Smile, maintain eye contact with who you're talking to. Also try not to look at the floor.

Edit: Good luck!

There are pharmaceuticals that can help you (benzos, beta blockers) but natural way is better:

Try to visualize the night before the interview going extremely well, creating images of success in your mind helps. And obviously be ready for the interview.

thanks for the info -- I've never tried beta blockers before, and I'm an absolute noob when it comes to medications like this (the only meds I really take are hayfever pills [lol]). I'm from UK so I'm not sure if this can be purchased over the counter, do you need to get a prescription for this type of medication then?

Well Xanax works really, really well for something like that since you mentioned prescription drugs. Other than that I'm not sure there is anything significant you can do, as far as like diet and stuff. Just go into the situation super prepared, and have a disposition like you are super prepared. Walk like you own the place. Pretend everybody is in diapers and you've got a certificate signed by the president of the universe that says "I'm the fucking man."

Guest the anonymous forumite

thanks for the info -- I've never tried beta blockers before, and I'm an absolute noob when it comes to medications like this (the only meds I really take are hayfever pills [lol]). I'm from UK so I'm not sure if this can be purchased over the counter, do you need to get a prescription for this type of medication then?

Yes you need prescriptions. Otherwise you have to import with the risk of your order being seized by customs.

But try the natural stuff I mentionned, it does wonders. Trust me, I had social anxiety, it's mostly cured now but still can't help being shaky and nervous when I have to do public presentations, even in front of 4 people.

I buy my stuff there: iherb.com

Guest hahathhat

have a little kava kava before you stop out in front of the panel. that stuff is amazingly effective.

it wears off after a little while, though, and when it does i tend to feel quite crabby! i suppose that is better than nervous.

Avoid caffeine and sugar. Drink a fair bit of water the day before and the morning of the interview (keep the brain hydrated). Get a good eight hours sleep the night before, wake yourself up with a cool shower. Arrive about fifteen minutes before the interview, then take the time to go to the toilets and splash your face with water. Have a banana about an hour before the meeting. Eat a nice healthy dinner the night before, maybe some chicken with a load of vegetables or something.

It's all about being alert and confident and remembering that it's just an interview, it's really nothing to be stressed about. One people or four people, makes no difference

Don't make any self deprecating jokes, if you're not confident then act like you are. A firm handshake is VERY important. Nothing gives off a worse first impression than a limp handshake. Smile, maintain eye contact with who you're talking to. Also try not to look at the floor.

psychologically, I think I'm well balanced and can create confidence in my mind. But putting me on the spot makes my heart beat very, very fast - and I honestly believe that if my heart was going at a much slower, a relaxed rate, my mind would feel relaxed and my speech would then be ok in the interview. You simply can't control your heart rate I don't think. Taking deep breaths in an interview would make me look silly. I do appreciate the info and suggestions though! I'm taking all this on board.

psychologically, I think I'm well balanced and can create confidence in my mind. But putting me on the spot makes my heart beat very, very fast - and I honestly believe that if my heart was going at a much slower, a relaxed rate, my mind would feel relaxed and my speech would then be ok in the interview. You simply can't control your heart rate I don't think. Taking deep breaths in an interview would make me look silly. I do appreciate the info and suggestions though! I'm taking all this on board.

In my experience, the first impression is what slows the heartbeat. If you can get a warm response it'll help in no time. The dinner, caffeine and sleep stuff (plus banana as it releases sugars slowly) was my advice for not getting the fast heartbeat. Just don't have chocolate or dairy or anything like that in the morning! You'll feel sluggish but restless if you do.

Maybe do some pushups or go for a job in the morning before the shower though, that'll really help. When is the interview, by the way?

Edit: I'm not even gonna fix that job burger.

Maybe do some pushups or go for a job in the morning before the shower though, that'll really help. When is the interview, by the way?

i love a morning job before i shower

LOL, oh yeah. You know what I mean though.

this ^

+ deep breathing for 15-30 minutes right before the interview.

communicate from your heart - think about as many heart felt ways you want to influence the company your applying to in a positive way.

pick strong themes associated with the company that you can be inspired by and make these people feel your enthusiasm to get involved.

companies like to hire motivated, inspired, selfless, healthy employees. set yourself apart from the rest and don't forget to smile.

taking a run the morning before the interview right before the cool shower would help you alot as well.

make sure you make eye contact and for sure the firm handshake. try to quickly wipe your hand on your pants if they are a little clammy from being nervous. i think if you can remain confident, that will keep you calm in itself.

LOL, oh yeah. You know what I mean though.

a handjob?

*goes for a job*

other than what a lot of people have already been saying (firm handshake and eye contact especially), one thing that has always helped me with interviews is to make sure you have prepared some questions for them--dont just answer everything and then when they inevitably ask, any questions for us? at the end, have nothing to say. you are interviewing them as well. this is where you will be spending a massive portion of your life, keep that in mind, and ask questions about things that matter to you. what's the overall company environment like? do people work well together? do people have stock options in the company? are the incentives for job performance that exceeds expectations? ask if you can interview someone that is currently in your desired position. dont be afraid to put them on the defensive. but of course you have to feel some of that out, you dont want to piss them off either.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

defintely not the drugs. you don't need that. just breathe. make sure your suit is dark as sweating through a grey suit is impressive sweating.

just be prepared. practice your answers. even prepare for those stupid questions that "cool" employers like to throw in.

avoid caffeine too so you'll need water, orange juice and an apple to wake you up

oh yeah and ask them questions too.

Guest maantecaaa!!!

4-7-8 breath(from Dr. Andrew Weil)

Inhale for a count of four

Hold for seven seconds

Exhale for eight, making a slight hissing or whooshing sound

Repeat four times.

Works better the more you practice.

Archived