IGNORED

Advice on calming nerves

Dale

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Coalbucket PI

I think a good thing to do is make a good plan for the morning and follow it precisely, make sure you know the route, what youre going to wear, what you eat etc. Then not only do you not have to worry about those little things anymore, when they go perfectly to plan it puts you in a good confident successful state of mind.

I was doing well in an interview last week, felt reasonably comfortable and then I noticed I had huge armpit sweat patches, really gave my confidence a buttfucking.

I think a good thing to do is make a good plan for the morning and follow it precisely, make sure you know the route, what youre going to wear, what you eat etc. Then not only do you not have to worry about those little things anymore, when they go perfectly to plan it puts you in a good confident successful state of mind.

I guess this sort of thing depends from person to person. People react very different to stress. But I would suggest the opposite. Whenever I had oral exams or presentations having everything perfectly prepared would make my mind focussed only on the talk and defense ahead. And to me, that's a bad thing because that would just build stress. Sure, I'd prepare and make sure I could talk about my subject and could defend it, but the hours before it was my turn I just kept my mind occupied with other stuff. Never overthink stuff. I don't understand people that prepare everything they will say down to the word. Just say what you want to say, don't go over every sentence and response in your head a thousand times.

So yeah, my advice is: determine what you want to tell, how you are going to defend yourself. And then just let it loose untill you are in the room. It's important to you so you aren't going to forget.

For the most part all of the responses are really great, thanks for the support everyone, I can definitely see myself putting some of your suggestions into action. Will update the thread to let everyone know how it goes later on. Just to put you in perspective, I know that I will be up against some competition, and this occupation will be extremely important to me if I get it. I'm still hesitant to take any medication to calm myself as I am not experienced with medications in general.

Guest underscore

For the most part all of the responses are really great, thanks for the support everyone, I can definitely see myself putting some of your suggestions into action. Will update the thread to let everyone know how it goes later on. Just to put you in perspective, I know that I will be up against some competition, and this occupation will be extremely important to me if I get it. I'm still hesitant to take any medication to calm myself as I am not experienced with medications in general.

unless you have plenty of time to experiment before the interview, I would definitely advise against any kind of medication you're not familiar with

Guest fogukaup

I agree with the GABA recommendation. I've tried many other benzos for long periods of time and GABA is the most subtle and effective, a background drug you could say. I just had an interview and got the position. I thought of relevant but bullshit questions to ask them the night before. Interviewers are probably nervous talking to you too, so asking them questions that make them feel comfortable talking about themselves or the position they hold is always a plus. In fact, getting them talking more is key. Then you can respond to their narratives with some light-hearted joke that makes them think that you're really "feeling" them. Once you've got them salivating off their own egos, mention how you're well prepared for the position but also eager to learn more in the field.

That's my system and it works most of the time. Remember to make eye contact with all 4 members of the panel and keep your hands in some relaxed but reserved position. My dad is from New Orleans and all into Voodoo. He would tell you to astral project into the future, set up your workstation there, especially your desktop background, and then go to the interview and meditate on that desktop background... I hope this helps you. Good luck on your interview!

I find that wearing a condom with teeth usually helps.

today is the day before my interview

I think I'm feeling a lot better than a I was previously when I made this thread --

I'm having some chicken/pasta salad tonight with a bit of bread. I've already prepared some hypothetical answers to some questions they might ask me, so as far as speech goes, I think I have that one prepared.

Then I'll have an early night later on.

Still unsure on whether I should bother taking the Swanson GABA tablets I purchased. Has anyone got any first-hand experience on using different forms of GABA (gamma-Aminobutyric acid)? As stated previously, I don't take any form of medication or tablets and I've always has this biased opinion throughout my life that such supplements are not needed and I tend to worry about side effects. I've looked up on the net all the info to do with side effects and they seem pretty harmless. Were they effective for anyone when calming nerves down?

Guest fiznuthian

http://madrelabs.com/cafeceps

haven't tried it, but i eat cordyceps/reishi daily among other mushrooms

and i feel very centered, calm, and collected all of the time.

most people say it enables a strong sense of well-being that lingers most of the day with very little dropoff.

makes me cringe when i see someone drinking coffee in the morning in an

attempt to jump-start their already damaged body. :\

madrelabs makes a dark cocoa blend too if you don't like coffee.

their micronized mycelium is quite potent apparently, i got a free sample with

another purchase last week and tried it out. by the end of the night working two shifts

in a day, i was more hyperactive than i began at 5:00 AM, and i finished work at almost midnight.

no breaks, no sweat.

still running circles around my cooworkers. :w00t:

Guest fiznuthian

today is the day before my interview

I think I'm feeling a lot better than a I was previously when I made this thread --

I'm having some chicken/pasta salad tonight with a bit of bread. I've already prepared some hypothetical answers to some questions they might ask me, so as far as speech goes, I think I have that one prepared.

Then I'll have an early night later on.

Still unsure on whether I should bother taking the Swanson GABA tablets I purchased. Has anyone got any first-hand experience on using different forms of GABA (gamma-Aminobutyric acid)? As stated previously, I don't take any form of medication or tablets and I've always has this biased opinion throughout my life that such supplements are not needed and I tend to worry about side effects. I've looked up on the net all the info to do with side effects and they seem pretty harmless. Were they effective for anyone when calming nerves down?

yeah dude, trust them on the GABA recommendation.

there is loads of research behind its use and function in the brain.

supplements are necessary sometimes, especially considering how our food industry poisons us, and can be very useful.

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-GABA-500-mg-100-Capsules/605?at=1

read some reviews. there's other brands that are probably good if not better,

but NOW maintains a high standard in their products, and attempts to manufacture in accordance

to the latest research.. pretty safe bet as a generic supplement manufacturer.

most people say it enables a strong sense of well-being that lingers most of the day with very little dropoff.

another purchase last week and tried it out. by the end of the night working two shifts

in a day, i was more hyperactive than i began at 5:00 AM, and i finished work at almost midnight.

no breaks, no sweat.

thank you for the kind advice but unfortunately it's too late for me to order this now as the interview is tomorrow. What I'll more than likely do is take 1 capsule of GABA just before I sleep, then in the morning, hopefully it would have kicked in ready for the interview.

Guest fiznuthian

no breaks, no sweat.

thank you for the kind advice but unfortunately it's too late for me to order this now as the interview is tomorrow. What I'll more than likely do is take 1 capsule of GABA just before I sleep, then in the morning, hopefully it would have kicked in ready for the interview.

no problem, as your issue is anxiety i would definitely say you made a solid choice in ordering GABA.

but definitely try the mushroom coffee/cocoa sometime. i think it will surprise you. :)

I take really hot baths and then lie flat on a towel For about an hour to sweat it out after. This always chills me the fuck out.

I try to exercise regularly, too. I feel like it helps, but the baths are a sure bet.

yea godspeed. treat yourself to a kfc doubledown if you do well. actually maybe you should have that the day before so you can give yourself a cleanse. also, this will ensure you don't drop a clip in your pants during said interview.

I'm not too confident that I've got the job, that's why I wanted to wait a few days before replying to the thread to see what the final results were of the interviews. I ended up leaving the GABA, and got an early night sleep. In the morning I just ate loads of fruit: grapes, melon, apple, banana etc.. and just completely filled my stomach up with it. Drank loads of water as someone advised here, to keep myself fully hydrated.

By the time my taxi came, I wasn't nervous at all. I couldn't believe it! -- the days leading up to the day of the interview I was really frustrated with how nervous I was, but I was in a complete state of confidence when doing the interview (I think this was partly because I had plenty of time to psyche myself up for it). I know I did the best I could do with the questions they put me on the spot with. I don't particularly have any regrets with how the interview went so I'll report back when I hear more.

The only thing that pissed me off was that I shook all their hands at the beginning and after the interview - and almost all of them had a limp handshake which was a bit disappointing. I was firmly gripping and they were loose. Ah well. Also, I'd be really surprised if I do get the job as I don't have experience in the required field of work and I spoke to two other candidates before my interview and they had years of experience!

I hope they're not judging me based on experience; they knew full well that I had zero experience in that given field before inviting me to the interview (as stated on my application), so if they proclaim that I don't get the job because of this, then I'll be pissed off as they would have wasted my times knowing in advance that I did not even have the experience to go with the job.

Thanks again for all the help/advice guys. It all proved very useful.

I shook all their hands at the beginning and after the interview - and almost all of them had a limp handshake which was a bit disappointing. I was firmly gripping and they were loose.

if they offer you the job... turn them down.

Archived