IGNORED

Broken Beat, who's over it?

eh Speedy

is anybody else completely uninterested in this broken beat thing, with beats tripping over themselves trying to be hip and dropping out of time. it really just sounds like a fucking mess to me. i can't even feel the funk. i'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong w/ my timing. it's just that this stuff is ass, no? did it come w/ dubstep or something?

i can see it being dated in years to come like "why were we doing this?"

Guest blicero

I think Steve said it pretty well:

Pitchfork: Has [the L.A. music scene/Low End Theory] changed for better or for worse in some ways?

FL: Well, I feel like a lot of kids, a lot of halfway kids, come out here, kids who started making beats six months ago, thinking they can get on stage because their drums are off. This kind of stuff annoys me. But we're able to throw this Sonic Warfare party [for Kode9's new book], which is crazy. We have a forum to do things that benefit bigger conversations.

Pitchfork: You're known for looser drums and rhythms, and with the new album and the move towards more live instrumentation, it shows there's so much more to it. That sense of rhythm is hard to master.

FL: It is. It's organic. I just don't quantize the stuff. You do what you feel and that's what it is. You don't try to out-feel yourself. Some of this shit is so straight on the beat, it's hilarious. The Thom Yorke thing is so on the grid. I get kind of frustrated by people who talk about that all the time. I just want to step away from that.

http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/7793-flying-lotus/

Guest blicero

i've said this a million times on this forum: all genres of music have shitty artists/music. very few, if any, genres are completely lousy.

Guest AcrossCanyons

i've said this a million times on this forum: all genres of music have shitty artists/music. no genres are completely lousy.

this.

also i am a fan of the broken beat sound. always have, probably always will be.

Guest illfly mandog

I like some of the early stuff...before it was every really considered "broken" Dilla, Madlib, Amon Contact, stuff like that.(if thats what you mean by broken)

Samiyam needs to shut the fuck up now.

Guest blicero

what's wrong with samiyam?

btw, dilla, madlib... that ain't broken beat. that is called hip hop, which is another very obscure genre with both wonderful and terrible artists.

btw, dilla, madlib... that ain't broken beat. that is called hip hop, which is another very obscure genre with both wonderful and terrible artists.

Although according to Stones Throw, the DJ Rels album was a deliberate tribute to Broken Beat. But I don't think I'd ever associate that with all the wibbly wobbly wonky stuff knocking about over the past few years.

If your taking about the LA beat style that's goin' down, then please recognize that these beats are not broken. "Broken Beat" has been around before any of this shit hit the scene. Please don't call this new shit Broken beat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_beat

Yeah, the beats are loose, and sometimes "offtime" but that doesn't mean its broken beat. I've always heard that tied with glitch music anyway.... which this is not.

Now... ya muthafuckas need to recognize

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTCC0loDlDY

Guest blicero

In all seriousness though, can someone post some shitty broken beats? I dont know many artists considered

Broken Beat"

Why the FUCK would you want us to post shitty music? you want your introduction to a genre to be based off the worst artists in that genre? WTF?

If your taking about the LA beat style that's goin' down, then please recognize that these beats are not broken. "Broken Beat" has been around before any of this shit hit the scene. Please don't call this new shit Broken beat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_beat

Yeah, the beats are loose, and sometimes "offtime" but that doesn't mean its broken beat. I've always heard that tied with glitch music anyway.... which this is not.

Now... ya muthafuckas need to recognize

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTCC0loDlDY

so are you saying that this guy is broken beat, or no?

BTW, I think there is often confusion between "Broken Beat" and "Wonky".

Flying Lotus, Samiyam = Wonky

Guest blicero

No, he's not broken beat, but people made this thread about LA Beat or.... "wonky" :facepalm: so I posted some.

Cool, just wanted to clarify.

Yes, "wonky" is one of the dumbest genre names of all time, second only to IntelligentDanceMusic.

Guest Backson

if this is about the whole beats being out of time thing, it goes without saying that some is good and some is bad.

i guess its a reaction to the fact that so much electronic music is almost fetish-like with its precision, so naturally there was going to be a backlash. Burial said something about it, how he thought that Jungle was killed but its own rigidness.

Anyway, Clark has avoided quantising recently, and he's come up with "Nordic Wilt" and some stuff on Totems Flare. So its just the other side of things really.

i think what mainly set me off is that ever since the trend came around i can't listen to Mark Pritchard anymore, and that sucks cause i really liked the guy.

Strange to bring this subject up now as "Broken Beat" came out of West London in the late 1990's thanks to 4hero, Kaidi Tatham, Orin Walters and a few other amazingly talented musicians. Strange because since around 2005 the true Broken Beat sound has kinda died off along with the Co-Op club and Goya distribution.

the real deal...

Archived