IGNORED

It's not what you know but who you know.

soundwave

....they don't have the right contacts or know the right people?

Is it a fact that you need to have some kind of blagg or gimic to sell your shit or at least be in the right circles to get your shit out there and be noticed?

Are things easier these days with the internet or much harder due to saturation?

It also helps to be in the right place at the right time but could there be amazing innovative talented artists out there, lurking about undiscovered forever just because they don't know how to promote or sell what they create?

:huh:

Guest Jimbob

Definitely gotta talk to the right people, if they're into it then they'll push it and rant about it, release it etc.

it's a two way street though i reckon.....if you're spamming the fuck out of your stuff then some might think you're a cheeky cunt and not even give it a listen.....

Definitely gotta talk to the right people, if they're into it then they'll push it and rant about it, release it etc.

it's a two way street though i reckon.....if you're spamming the fuck out of your stuff then some might think you're a cheeky cunt and not even give it a listen.....

So true. I suggest giving up.

Guest ruiagnelo

I think it doesn't happen exclusively with music.

The right people at your side always open the right doors.

Guest Jimbob

depends what you're on about really........this is a very open ended thread, and there is no right or wrong way to get your stuff out there

sure its about connections else you are doing cold calling but if the product is not good enough or at the right time / market it will lead you nowhere.

Guest glasse

In 2010 it is all pointless anyway. Either you post your stuff and people download it for free, or you get discovered and signed and people still go on torrent sites and download it for free. The internet is a crap means of promotion with a few exceptions for a few people. Over saturated, everyone assumes it will probably sound amateur, you are competing on a global level instantly, etc. Everyone is a musician and posting your tracks is kind of like sharing your photos on facebook. Going out into the real world and trying to promote yourself at clubs and play live is better, but what are the chances that you live in a city where people care about weird electronic music? Maybe there is a large city close, but you have to kind of live there to be a part of the scene enough to really get to know people and network. Driving an hour or two to hit some clubs one weekend a month will probably not cut it.

Guest Hanratty

If you never make an effort to network, you probably won't go anywhere.

i've made no effort to network and look at me!

Guest sirch

Is it a fact that you need to have some kind of blagg or gimic to sell your shit or at least be in the right circles to get your shit out there and be noticed?

simple answer is yes. but, you gotta make some good music first..

gimics are nothing without good tracks behind them.

no good music to start with meany u getty nowhere, fully stop.

Guest sirch

In 2010 it is all pointless anyway. Either you post your stuff and people download it for free, or you get discovered and signed and people still go on torrent sites and download it for free. The internet is a crap means of promotion with a few exceptions for a few people. Over saturated, everyone assumes it will probably sound amateur, you are competing on a global level instantly, etc. Everyone is a musician and posting your tracks is kind of like sharing your photos on facebook. Going out into the real world and trying to promote yourself at clubs and play live is better, but what are the chances that you live in a city where people care about weird electronic music? Maybe there is a large city close, but you have to kind of live there to be a part of the scene enough to really get to know people and network. Driving an hour or two to hit some clubs one weekend a month will probably not cut it.

bollocks.

the internet is actually THE BEST means of promoting your music and networking!

going to clubs and saying hey check me out, will do fuck all for you, unless you've got the tunes. s'all about the tunes.

these days it's so easy to put noises together and call it "IDM".. or whatever.. but it's something all together different to make good tracks...

Guest sirch

Sometimes it's a lack of connections, motivation, timing, or promotional skills.

Sometimes it's just bad music.

i don't think a new artist should worry too much about promotion.. it's all about the music, firstly.

but you need motivation aswell.

fuck connections or timing, you can make these things happen later........ easily, IF you have the music.. :)

Sounds kind of jaded.

there's no one answer anymore. stop trying to find it.

also, really, if you're making music for anyone but yourself, i personally think you're not doing it right.

Archived