IGNORED

quitting smoking

Guest disparaissant

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Rambo

oh i just meant that everyone here is definitely going to fail quitting

lets be clear i hate everyone in this thread like a battlewound that hurts more than im letting on to an attractive female medic.

• 1 year later...

I haven't had a cigarette for 8 days. I'm currently using patches, but there have been times when I'm not wearing one and I don't notice a difference. A lot of this addiction is mental.

I find myself moving to have a cigarette, like after a meal, and instantly realising I cant. A very sharp depression happens at that point, and this is the moment where people either give in and have a smoke, or persevere.

The thing is, the down point doesn't last very long. You really have to be in it to win it though. I just can't afford to smoke any more, both health-wise and financially. This is it for me.

I plan to pour myself into exercise once I get past this apathetic stage of quitting. I generally don't feel like doing much at all at the moment.

are you like 12 or something?

this is legitimate question Q27

lmao that post of his sounded like my much younger former 12 year old self who said he wouldn't smoke or drink!

First, I'm 18. You could have just looked at my profile.

Second, I was not being 1000% serious in my post. It is just that I don't see the point in doing that shit. Just because I don't want to smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol makes me sound 12? What? Does that mean smoking and drinking is mature? :sorcerer:

Cigarettes are absolutely pointless. I see more sense in drinking. Who doesn't? I'm just not that interested in drinking. I mean I'll probably actually try drinking someday, but it's not really something that interests me very much.

I was like that when I was 18.

Then I started college.

Nicotine does improve concentration and calms you. After not smoking for a few days, putting on a nicotine patch does have a calming and focussing effect that's noticeable, but only just. its definately not worth starting smoking though. Waste of money and lung capacity.

"improves concentration and calms you"

for a limited time only

followed by the urge to poop, nap, and repeat. if the cycle is broken, become unreasonable and generally complain about everything in your life until you manage to find a cigarette. smell like garbage, get cancer.

Guest RadarJammer

I smoked for a dozen years before I had the balls to go for the quit. The second I weened off the patch I was hit by rebound constipation that I thought might probably kill me, coffee didn't help so I wound up getting some dip tobacco because I thought it would be a better alternative than the emergency room. 5 minutes after popping in a dip I took the happiest crap of my life and went on to nurture a renewed nicotine addiction for several more months before somehow managing to dodge all related bullets and purge myself of that torrid clusterfuck addiction.

My one advice to anyone who wants to quit smoking is to eat plenty of fiber just in case your one of the people who get rebound constipation.

"improves concentration and calms you"

for a limited time only

followed by the urge to poop, nap, and repeat. if the cycle is broken, become unreasonable and generally complain about everything in your life until you manage to find a cigarette. smell like garbage, get cancer.

I was referring to nicotine, which itself isn't what kills you when smoking cigarettes. I actually didn't feel that smoking a cigarette calmed me much because I felt shitty from all of the chemicals and smoke going into my lungs. The patch supplies a steady stream of nicotine while you wear it, and I did notice a calming effect from that. IMO smoking is a habitual/mental addiction first and a physical addiction 2nd, where people miss the communal nature of regular smoke breaks and the general "checkpoint" mindset of having a smoke at different times of the day or after different activities. I think people also miss the hit in the back of the throat from inhaling the smoke. These are just my observations having recently quit.

I smoke 1 or 2 self make cigarettes per day. Sometimes I love smoking and almost admire the taste, most of the time its just smoking, for the act of it. I'm not sure I'm addicted, maybe. Once, when I thought about not smoking I eat carrots. Made me all calm and stuff being like Bugs Bunny lol

ben horne

I quit smoking cold turkey back in August, haven't touched a cigarette since. I smoked about a pack a day before I quit. The key in the first weeks was to go biking or running whenever the need was too much to bare. I think I was succesfull this time because my mind was so set on quitting. I still get dreams once in a while in which I smoke. The feeling of regret those bring aided me as well.

I still get a slight urge sometimes. But it's not going to convince me anymore. Mission complete. :)

I packed in 4 years ago, I think you know when it's going to stick - the time just seems right. I read Alan Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking which actually helped: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0140277633 - the main thing is to detach yourself from those little conversations you have in your head where you argue a wonderful case for going to the shops to buy ciggies. Once you understand how the psychology of addiction works it's easier to casually observe the psychological processes rather than wilfully engaging in them.

I downloaded some Paul McKenna (who is a monumental twat I know) CD. Whenever I got tetchy and irritable, the precursor to lighting up, I'd go off to the bedroom and get hypnotised into relaxing and falling asleep for 5 minutes - then wake up calm, relaxed and no longer craving a smoke.

Whatever way you do it though, the end result is absolutely worth it - more money in your pocket, you can taste and smell properly again, your skin improves massively (my face went from grey back to pink), you don't spend morning hacking up omelettes and, more importantly, it's one less thing at the back of your mind that regularly pops up to make you feel bad about yourself.

i'm reading allan carr's book at the moment which tells you to stop cold turkey when you finish the book... we'll see.

Yes I like the way he encourages you to have a relaxing smoke whilst reading it. I wouldn't have finished it otherwise.

Fun fact: he's dead now from lung cancer, because of coaching smokers in smoke-filled classrooms.

i'm reading allan carr's book at the moment which tells you to stop cold turkey when you finish the book... we'll see.

Yes I like the way he encourages you to have a relaxing smoke whilst reading it. I wouldn't have finished it otherwise.

Fun fact: he's dead now from lung cancer, because of coaching smokers in smoke-filled classrooms.

he smoked over 100 a day for 30 odd years and was 72 when he died so not bad going considering.

Guest disparaissant

i finally managed to quit back in october, once and for all. aside from a few smokes here and there at parties and during finals week. kind of stopped drinking too, as the desire to smoke is strongest then.

so basically, i quit smoking and became really really boring!

but its good, i feel a lot healthier.

I managed to go about 20 days without but on uh.. 'social gatherings' i can't help myself. I don't really want to quit tho, I like smoking, I want to do it only when it's really worth it, I want to switch to rolling my own as well.

Archived