IGNORED

Some seriously weird shit is happening to my PC

Guest abusivegeorge

Guest abusivegeorge

My hard drive, which consists of a file called Windows.old and then, since the reboot of the system and the installation of Windows Vista after it decided to wipe windows XP from itself, the folders with anything in under the new reboot.

Windows.old contains all of my files from the hard drive before the crash, everything I had on here, is still on here and accesible through that file.

Now, my Hard drive keeps fluctuating in "free space". It's weird as shit, I'm talking gigabytes of difference everytime I check. Yesterday I had 27.5 gb left on my hard drive, today I only have 21.7 gb, after 0 downloads, updates or installs. It isn't just going down, the day before yesterday, it went UP from 19 gb, 28 gb.

What in the shit is going on?

Guest abusivegeorge

Lol, cheerz, yes even our summer is shit! Fuck all sun here for over a week, pissing fucking rain.

Guest Babar

SUPER BABAR HAS ARIIIIIIIIVED

sorry mate, i have no clue

but I think it really is just a problem of cache/temp files. When you shut down/reboot your system they get deleted hence the extra free space you noticed.

Guest abusivegeorge

SUPER BABAR HAS ARIIIIIIIIVED

sorry mate, i have no clue

but I think it really is just a problem of cache/temp files. When you shut down/reboot your system they get deleted hence the extra free space you noticed.

But it fluctuated as much as 9 gigabytes on Thursday, and it happens whilst I'm actually on here using it! The hard drive is working like a bitch most of the time, when I'm hardly running anything.

It's so sluggish, because the hard drive appears to be working so hard, it takes ages to even load a webpage.

dont overlook the ants just yet george

my dad had them in his laptop when he came back from the beach, we had to open up the latop and spray the douchebags with compressed air. If you ignore the problem the colonies could spread to your video card memory or even your motherboard frontside bus

Guest abusivegeorge

This is the thing, it never used to do it.

Cunting thing.

WHAT THE FUCK IS IT DOING, STOP WORKING AND DOING THINGS

Guest abusivegeorge

Since writing my OP, it's gone from 21.7 to 23.6

Am I being remote accessed or something? If the computers on a server (which Dad tells me it is). Someone can actually access the computer, correct? What the fuck they would want with it is beyond me, except storing data?

I think that's probably not likely, I can't remember what server he said it's on, something to with Virgin maybe? Our service provider. I dunno, I just know it's on a network because he was telling me before bed he suspects this is possible.

One of his reasons for suspecting this, is becuase I have shut the computer down many times, and it will randomly boot itself up, from complete shut down, at compeltely random times.

Am I being remote accessed or something? If the computers on a server (which Dad tells me it is). Someone can actually access the computer, correct? What the fuck they would want with it is beyond me, except storing data?

I think that's probably not likely, I can't remember what server he said it's on, something to with Virgin maybe? Our service provider. I dunno, I just know it's on a network because he was telling me before bed he suspects this is possible.

One of his reasons for suspecting this, is becuase I have shut the computer down many times, and it will randomly boot itself up, from complete shut down, at compeltely random times.

It's Micheal Jackson's ghost putting kiddie pron on your computer George

Guest Babar

as always i'm not an expert and i tend to be paranoid, but it totally looks like you're computer is infected.

1. You should have a look at your cpu activity (in the task manager ?). There are always ways to hide a process/application from the task manager though. Thus:

2. How hot is your processor ?

3. You could unplug your ethernet cable and see if your hardrive is still dancing.

What the fuck they would want with it is beyond me, except storing data?

Well, they may be interested in using your cpu to perform very heavy tasks. For example bruteforcing passwords or captchas.

Guest Calx Sherbet

My hard drive, which consists of a file called Windows.old and then, since the reboot of the system and the installation of Windows Vista after it decided to wipe windows XP from itself, the folders with anything in under the new reboot.

Windows.old contains all of my files from the hard drive before the crash, everything I had on here, is still on here and accesible through that file.

Now, my Hard drive keeps fluctuating in "free space". It's weird as shit, I'm talking gigabytes of difference everytime I check. Yesterday I had 27.5 gb left on my hard drive, today I only have 21.7 gb, after 0 downloads, updates or installs. It isn't just going down, the day before yesterday, it went UP from 19 gb, 28 gb.

What in the shit is going on?

that size change has happened with me too

Guest abusivegeorge

as always i'm not an expert and i tend to be paranoid, but it totally looks like you're computer is infected.

1. You should have a look at your cpu activity (in the task manager ?). There are always ways to hide a process/application from the task manager though. Thus:

2. How hot is your processor ?

3. You could unplug your ethernet cable and see if your hardrive is still dancing.

What the fuck they would want with it is beyond me, except storing data?

Well, they may be interested in using your cpu to perform very heavy tasks. For example bruteforcing passwords or captchas.

This is good thinking Babar, with regards to number 1, I have already checked the CPU usage in the task manager, it shows my processes that I'm using under my name, so I checked all processes to, where it shows other users and the SYSTEM. Nothing seems to be operating. The CPU usage though is always stupidly high, like 70-80% at all times, even with me just browsing this.

With regards to number 2, there appears to be no overheating happening at all!

Number 3: Already done this too and everything seems to settle down a little, but then again, the only thing I ever use this for is the internet, so when I'm on here it's running internet based activities 24/7, so I guess when I unplug it it's only natural it would calm down anyway.

It's Micheal Jackson's ghost putting kiddie pron on your computer George

Nah man I've already factored that usage in.

I had something similar afew years back, although it didn't go as far as gigabyte files.

I have no idea what I did, maybe it solved itself or I reinstalled windows or something. Sorry. :unsure:

Guest Babar

you could try what blackdust said, but that wouldn't explain why your computer is booting on its own (which is ultra-weird).

IMO you should REINSTALL WINDOWS (nooooooooooooooooooooooo *heads explodes*).

Or you could try to sniff your own traffic with wireshark (it will show what packets are going in and out from your PC), save them to a .pcap file, and maybe i might be able to identify suspicious packets (used by the attacker to give orders to your computer). Then you might be able to blacklist the source ip.

But:

1. I might be wrong. As i previously said i'm paranoid, and maybe this is just a system problem rather than a security hole.

2. Even if your PC is a zombie there are a lot of chances that i'm not competent enough to identify what packets are the bad packets.

3. If the zombie network is decentralized (well i suppose this is possible) there may be possibly thousands of computers giving instructions to your cpu.

4. Another possibility is that your computer only receives instructions every 3 hours or so. . .

Maybe you should try posting on a forum where people knows their shit, because i don't, i just have the background knowledge of a lamer.

find out which processes are opening and writing to files when you are doing nothing with something like process monitor. I think the system restore theory makes sense because the fluctuations are very sporadic, large amounts. my guess is that system restore deletes backups after a certain time. The problem is it probably hard to.... fuck, im too high to remember.

Its vista, turn off system restore that's what's eating up your space, it was one of the shit things about vista

this person speaks the truth

it's most likely system restore, turn that shit off yo

you could try what blackdust said, but that wouldn't explain why your computer is booting on its own (which is ultra-weird).

IMO you should REINSTALL WINDOWS (nooooooooooooooooooooooo *heads explodes*).

Or you could try to sniff your own traffic with wireshark (it will show what packets are going in and out from your PC), save them to a .pcap file, and maybe i might be able to identify suspicious packets (used by the attacker to give orders to your computer). Then you might be able to blacklist the source ip.

But:

1. I might be wrong. As i previously said i'm paranoid, and maybe this is just a system problem rather than a security hole.

2. Even if your PC is a zombie there are a lot of chances that i'm not competent enough to identify what packets are the bad packets.

3. If the zombie network is decentralized (well i suppose this is possible) there may be possibly thousands of computers giving instructions to your cpu.

4. Another possibility is that your computer only receives instructions every 3 hours or so. . .

Maybe you should try posting on a forum where people knows their shit, because i don't, i just have the background knowledge of a lamer.

Babar, you are truly the Watmm member everybody should be proud of. So full of positive energy, always ready to help, my fucking hero!

:beer:

Guest abusivegeorge

OK thanks for all the help guys, I have turned system restore off, so let's see what happens.

Really appreciate the help!

Its vista, turn off system restore that's what's eating up your space, it was one of the shit things about vista

That shit caused me no end of problems as well when I had Vista, wanky cunting thing. As soon as I'm earning proper cash monies I'm switching to a Mac.

You might also want to do Start - Run (or wherever Run is located in stoopid Vista) and enter: cmd

Then at the command prompt type: chkdsk /f

It'll then ask you if you want your drive checked on next reboot so press Y, then exit and then reboot

It could be that the allocation table got fucked up and that'll sort it out for you....

(and yeah System Store will eat up room too )

Archived