IGNORED

recommend some manga

Rubin Farr

i'm looking for a few new titles to read, something either sci-fi or superhero/fantasy based, not really a shonen fan. last stuff i read that i liked was Gunam 00 and the Starcraft series. something like Masamune Shirow would be cool. shit, i'll consider anything without lady dicks in it.

Guest disparaissant

i have read like 4 manga in my entire life, i'm not really a fan of the stuff BUT the four i read were absolutely fantastic:

Solanin, which is about a band trying to make it big and life and death and other stuff, it's really really really emotional and good and honestly really beautiful.

Nijigahara Holograph, which is about a creepy kid with head trauma and some other supernatural death related shit that i don't want to get into for spoilers sake.

Before Dawn and the End of the World, which is a collection of one shots by the same artist.

All of those are by Inio Asano. I read Solanin first and was so impressed and moved by it I had to check out her other stuff. It's all really good, but Solanin takes the cake. Though that might just be because I'm overly mushy or something. It's not shonen stuff, but it's not sci-fi either. No lady dicks.

Other than that, I've read Uzumaki which is just fucked up and pretty "idm," to use the parlance of these forums.

Junji%20Ito%20-%20Uzumaki.jpg

123647_Uzumaki.jpg

uzumaki-v03-c013-030.jpg

Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaa is great. Four books and possibly the most dense manga I've ever read, takes quite a while to get through. Also very much a forerunner of a lot of modern Japanese manga/videogame staples.

Just saw Uzumaki at the local comic shop for cheap, might have to pick it up. The film was a great fun (saw it a long time ago!)

Yawn, again?

Berserk, Akira, One piece.

First one has great atmosphere and deep characters, second is as awesome as best sf novels and third is childishly loony manga at its best.

yes i've read the classics (Akira, Miyazaki, GITS) didn't know i needed to specify that. and One Piece is pure shit shonen, thanx anyway.

side note - thinking about dropping green on some Tatsunoko goodness; Casshern & Gatchaman anime (the Wii game kicked ass)

Guest HerculesCzar

I read a small compilation of short stories by Yoshihiro Tatsumi called "Goodbye", which I quite enjoyed. Definitely one I'm glad to have in my collection.

I haven't read much manga lately other than a borrowed copy of "Ultra Gash Inferno"by Suehiro Maruo. In case you're unfamiliar, he's an erotic gore artist who's stuff is featured in a bunch of John Zorn liners. Really gross and pretty fun to read, but most likely not worth dropping the $ on.

181-0-Suehiro_Maruo-page.jpg

i have read like 4 manga in my entire life, i'm not really a fan of the stuff BUT the four i read were absolutely fantastic:

Solanin, which is about a band trying to make it big and life and death and other stuff, it's really really really emotional and good and honestly really beautiful.

Nijigahara Holograph, which is about a creepy kid with head trauma and some other supernatural death related shit that i don't want to get into for spoilers sake.

Before Dawn and the End of the World, which is a collection of one shots by the same artist.

All of those are by Inio Asano. I read Solanin first and was so impressed and moved by it I had to check out her other stuff. It's all really good, but Solanin takes the cake. Though that might just be because I'm overly mushy or something. It's not shonen stuff, but it's not sci-fi either. No lady dicks.

Other than that, I've read Uzumaki which is just fucked up and pretty "idm," to use the parlance of these forums.

Junji%20Ito%20-%20Uzumaki.jpg

123647_Uzumaki.jpg

uzumaki-v03-c013-030.jpg

woah that looks a lot better than i was expecting, i really like the movie so i must check out the comic now

Guest disparaissant

i haven't actually seen the movie, but i heard it's essentially shot for shot from the manga, so it should be interesting. i'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Tekkonkinkreet

tekkon.jpg

and then watch the fillum w/ Plaid soundtrack if you haven't already

The Film is great. I though the manga was called black and white?

Also Akira?

EDIT: I know it says black and white in the title but I thought it was actually called Black and White.

Haruhi Suzumiya is awesome.

I'll see if I can't dig out any other ideas for you. Check out anime-planet for recommendations based on stuff you read before (and also to keep track of stuff you've read/seen).

Archived