digital (shift register) noise

human brain

mind/experience

tape echo/bbd echodelay

spring reverb/platereverb/mic natural reverb

subtractive/fm/ringmodulation/karplus strong blah blah

transducers (innies and outties)

(music + electronics) * explore = :D

beautiful philosophy of refined aesthetic and methodology in electronic music set exactly to piss off the autechre fans lead the sheep away from vst glitch laptops kid606 take things back to ceephax and drexciya every fucker will buy a synth and do fuckign classic tunage instead of this laptop shit pure 180 high quality analogue vinyls in a lush packaging

the tuss features a lot of digital editing, samples and fx.

How can you be sure ?

I'm still waiting for this "Digital vs Analogue" double blind trial (which i haven't participated in as I consider myself as a source of noise).

God, this whole "analogue vs. digital" stuff bores me to tears - who cares what it's made with (other than from an academic or anecdotal viewpoint) - as long as it sounds good, that's all that matters.

I wouldn't care if a musician's music was made with standard presets, as long as they were used in an interesting way and the music was good.

God, this whole "analogue vs. digital" stuff bores me to tears - who cares what it's made with (other than from an academic or anecdotal viewpoint) - as long as it sounds good, that's all that matters.

A-fookin'-men to that man....

if you claim to be "into gear" and cant tell shit liek the tuss (or even analord) was done with some digital elements to it, you are a fucking SPASTIC. congratulations.!!

also chunky you sound just like cwnt i bet you are him

Guest tompty

this doesnt seem to be an analogue digital debate BCMs right, alot of stuff on the tuss could not be done simply on analogue, not that it matters anyways

Guest hahathhat

beautiful philosophy of refined aesthetic and methodology in electronic music set exactly to piss off the autechre fans lead the sheep away from vst glitch laptops kid606 take things back to ceephax and drexciya every fucker will buy a synth and do fuckign classic tunage instead of this laptop shit pure 180 high quality analogue vinyls in a lush packaging

what are you doing to do when aphex goes back to laptop shit now that everyone's jumped on the ye olde analogue bandwagon? and especially when the music will still be good....

lightly finger his bumhole

I wouldn't care if a musician's music was made with standard presets, as long as they were used in an interesting way and the music was good.

Definately with you on this one. To be honest the people who get worked up about it are always the people who also make music, While the majority of people who listen to the music will A, be completely oblivious to whether its analogue or digital B, not give a shit either way.

Definately with you on this one. To be honest the people who get worked up about it are always the people who also make music, While the majority of people who listen to the music will A, be completely oblivious to whether its analogue or digital B, not give a shit either way.

I've made music for about 15 years and I honestly couldn't give a flying fuck whether stuff was made on analogue or digital, what software tools they use, what DAWs etc. etc.. IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE - a good track is a good track, hell you could probably make a great track using Notepad is you were awesome enough...

why is it so frowned upon to talk about what gear aphex used on analord? the whole analord project almost encourage fans to talk about just that. the analog vs. digital discussion isn't really even prominent here.

it's an aphex subforum, for gods sake. let people geek out if they want.

all the analouge only analord fan boys will get up set with this next comment

the

tr-707

isn;'t

analouge

it was used in nearly every analord track.

yeah, this is hilarious... there are other giveaway digital components in there as well, yet people jerk themselves off senselessly over the analogue "purity", even if they don't really know what it means. it seems like some people are hellbent on principle over practical application and result.

i do think the gear discussion can veer off in the wrong direction a lot of the time, especially if you weigh your appreciation of a work of music differently depending on its method of creation. there is so much psychology in this discussion that has nothing to do with the appreciation of musical arrangement/sound design, but just blind fetishisation of everything analogue. this also transfers over to other aspects of musical appreciation, like when people like a track MORE when they found out that (for example) aphex or squarepusher did it. there's probably about 5 million pages of shit that could be written about this, and how it's impossible to remove yourself from those feelings no matter how hard you try, but you've got to agree it's fucking absurd sometimes.

anyway, to make this post more watmm friendly, here's a few smilies:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

my point is, anyway, that you make different kind of music when you work on hardware because the interface is different. when I say different kind, I don't just mean 4/4 shit because you use drum machines, but like coming up with a melody through playing on a keyboard is totally different than drawing notes in a piano roll.

Guest Ministry of Undos

It can be a tiresome topic because it's another example of the human tendency to seek an either/or situation wherever possible. The equipment and techniques used can definitely make a difference to my experience of music, though that's not necessarily an analogue/digital thing.

A good (but off-topic) example is the album Twenty Systems by Benge. That's 20 tracks where each one was made using a single synth, with each track advancing one year and using a synth produced that year. So it starts in 1968 with a Moog modular and runs to 1987 with a Kawai K5M. I recommend it, though I imagine it's well-known around these parts anyway.

I'm quite sure every sound on the album could be reproduced in Reason to the extent that I would't be able to hear any difference. In fact I'm kind of obliged to take the guy's word that he used the synths in question. But so long as I do, the album is interesting because of the process followed and equipment used. I think it's musically interesting too, of course - someone else could take the same idea and produce a monstrosity - but the music takes second place to, or perhaps equal first place with, the concept.

And Analord has a similar aspect. Retape is quite right in saying that the interface can have a great effect on the end results, and it's a point Aphex himself has made in the past. When I read that Aphex is making track using purely vintage equipment, that's immediately of interest to me because I want to see what he does with it and what it does to him. For all I care that vintage equipment could be 100% digital, though of course analogue lends itself more to unorthodox systems and solutions and is more likely to lead to unexpected place (but then that could be said of Reason, once the virtual patch cords start swinging).

Where was I? I suppose my point is that it's a shame to throw out the baby with the bathwater - it's rarely interesting to read tired analogue vs. digital vs. real vs. virtual arguments, but that's not to say that technique and equipment aren't important factors, sometimes.

And when the creators turn round and say 'ha, you clods, it was all done in Fruity Loops', we just grab a box of tissues and a tub of ice cream and move right on.

Archived