IGNORED

things your friends say

Guest disparaissant

i dunno where you guys get your friends, i've met most of my friends through common music tastes, going to gigs etc.. that said though, i have one friend who has an irrational hatred towards computer based music. he loves old electronic music like cluster, eno, etc but wouldn't give autechre a chance because he's not into "glitchy shit".. lo and behold, one day i put on 'nine' from amber while we were having some drinks and greens and he got right into it. haha!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My friends are pretty cool with it. I have a mate who absolutely loves Moderat since I played a couple of tracks, so he listens to it all the time when he's borrowing my CD, but he won't buy the album or even download it! But then I don't think he finds music to be a passion really..

Whenever I listen to ae he says something that makes me laugh, and he's said something along these lines a LOT

"Hmmm... Yeah, I DO like Autechre. AW-TEK-REE!" always on the emphasis on "DO" as if he's trying to convince me. But he's a whore for basslines so I think it's just Ccec, or the ending of Augmatic that get him.

My other two close mates like quite a bit of my stuff, but they got into Dubstep through me - I liked it when I first heard it, but got bored whereas they just got stuck in. Killfly by Download gives my friend Glenn a headache, a real physical headache whenever I put it on that he needs aspirin for. Must be some high frequencies that fuck him up, but he insists I never play that song. I don't think it's that offensive sounding.

My mom says most of what I listen to sounds like Video Game music. Also if a somewhat sudden noise comes up in a Matthew Friedberger album, no matter who I'm with it seems like, they go just go "Ah!", and give me a weird look.

Friedberger is pretty tame music in comparison to all of the jungle out there.

Guest ruiagnelo

sophomore year of high school, i was at a pool party. the chick that hosted it was ok, she let me put music on. i put on "gym tonic" by bob sinclar, typical french house tune if you don't know it. immediately, two chicks start complaining that it sounds creepy. seriously, wtf. it made me realize that i shouldn't try to share electronic music with anyone, because they're too satisfied with miley cyrus and rihanna to give a shit.

just ANYTHING like that bothers me the most. i hate it when people dislike something creative and cool JUST because it's creepy/unsettling or worst of all, weird. people are so afraid of obscurity

no man. they are just afraid of what is not conventional.

Guest Deep Fried Everything

everyone hates autechre when i put them on , i kind of find that refreshing. at least im doing something right

with an attitude like that, it would certainly make sense why they would have a disdain for something, be it either you OR the music you choose to listen to. being a contrarian for the sake of it? :whistling:

my pops: "Where's the melody? It's all just percussion."

me: "Are you fucking serious?"

listening to Wisp and some of my stuff (though my mom enjoyed Erothyme's stuff)

roomie: "That music has no soul."

in regards to anything I like/make that he doesn't like

everyone and their dog: "This sounds like video game music."

listening to my stuff and a lot of other IDM stuff

On that note, I think I might make a thread about the defining characteristics of the video game music sound.

fortunately for me, my friends embrace the music i listen to. but a while ago, my cousin's fiance had a homey over and i was playing some hardcore and he said

"hey dawg, i think your cd is skipping".

then this one time i was at a friends house playing some Nasenbluten (hardcore) and his sister begged us to turn off the music because it sounded like a pow wow

a dude at work found out that i made music and he was interested in listening to some. the guy mostly listens to hip hop and rage against the machine type stuff. so i gave him "oblique formation" and "feeling sorry for inanimate objects"... he came up to me the next day and said...

him: "dude... i wasn't expecting that!"

me: "what were you expecting?"

him: "like that trance stuff... that stuff sucks!"

me: "then why would you want me to give you cds?"

him: "i looked you up on myspace but the player wasn't working that day... i was curious!"

me: "that's cool!"

him: "i didn't know you made music like THAT! it's out there man! it's cool. not like anything else i've heard!"

so i basically have a new fan who thought i made trance music but was totally wrong.

I was listening to the new VHS Head album today at work and a female coworker came up to me and said this to me:

"What IS THIS?!? What genre is this even? This is..I've never heard anything like this before. *gives a disapproving and confused look* I never knew this about you chax.."

I found it more hilarious than anything, but that's basically why we have watmm and chatmm and how it is so important that it is possible to have communication amongst people who do understand and enjoy electronic music

Guest Calx Sherbet

a dude at work found out that i made music and he was interested in listening to some. the guy mostly listens to hip hop and rage against the machine type stuff. so i gave him "oblique formation" and "feeling sorry for inanimate objects"... he came up to me the next day and said...

him: "dude... i wasn't expecting that!"

me: "what were you expecting?"

him: "like that trance stuff... that stuff sucks!"

me: "then why would you want me to give you cds?"

him: "i looked you up on myspace but the player wasn't working that day... i was curious!"

me: "that's cool!"

him: "i didn't know you made music like THAT! it's out there man! it's cool. not like anything else i've heard!"

so i basically have a new fan who thought i made trance music but was totally wrong.

excellent, i can't get over the beauty of bear trap in the ocean

I was listening to the new VHS Head album today at work and a female coworker came up to me and said this to me:

"What IS THIS?!? What genre is this even? This is..I've never heard anything like this before. *gives a disapproving and confused look* I never knew this about you chax.."

I found it more hilarious than anything, but that's basically why we have watmm and chatmm and how it is so important that it is possible to have communication amongst people who do understand and enjoy electronic music

watmm might be the reason why i like more electronic music than i would've without

roomie: "That music has no soul."

sadface

fuckin sad how limited peoples' view of electronic is in the states :facepalm:

i think it's partly due to it not having a huge following, so it's automatically viewed as not good enough.. herd mentality, as Nietzsche put it.

"that isnt anything, its just noise"

"sounds like r2d2 or some shit"

"your taste in music is questionable"

That'd be friends who i wouldn't expect to like it. I've plenty of friends who do actually have similar tastes to myself.

Although I am the only person that I physically know that loves Luke Vibert :cry:

Oh yeah and when I explained to my Dad about The Black Dog's Music For Real Airports, he said it sounded about as interesting as watching paint dry. And my dad loves Eno :shrug:

My mate said

"I dont care enough about music to have an argument, ill listening to anything"

Which I kind of respect, music aint really his thing. But he shit his pants when I lent him my Raconteurs album so.....

Guest Calx Sherbet

i don't think i've ever heard "boring"

i have. "it's too repetitive! this is boring! wah wah wah!"

this is the stuff that resentment is made of.

eh, i guess i didn't think of repetitive nature...but it could very easily be labeled boring.

the problem is, i'm not sure if i could actually create a rebuttal to that. I'm very awful at arguing

Archived