IGNORED

John Maus

Guest plok

Anyone else a fan? Been loving the album "love is real". Love the lo-fi, synth based, weirdness of it all. Wish I could find more like it. Anyone else in the same mold worth checking out? Meanwhile just appreciate:

"Times is weird"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYFAcPS6HgE

"Do your best"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDOMk_pGacA

My whole world's coming apart"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReQXQ3E4ztE

Guest disparaissant

oh and as for people like him, well. there's not a lot, he's got a very unique sound i guess but aesthetically similar would be lo-fi peeps like ariel pink and r. stevie moore and gary war and (like i said) geneva jacuzzi and maybe even some stuff like nite jewel (much more sedate but lo fi and synthy) or tickley feather.

edit ohh yeh, that girl in the maniac video is 1/2 of nite jewel iirc.

Edited by disparaissant

I saw this hipster rubbish a couple of years ago, he was rubbish and I walked out. I came back in again later for other hipster rubbish though. :emotawesomepm9:

oh and as for people like him, well. there's not a lot, he's got a very unique sound i guess but aesthetically similar would be lo-fi peeps like ariel pink and r. stevie moore and gary war and (like i said) geneva jacuzzi and maybe even some stuff like nite jewel (much more sedate but lo fi and synthy) or tickley feather.

I love Ariel Pink and found John Maus through that connection. Bless you for the recommends! Will check out.

• 2 years later...

I could have enjoyed John Maus a lot more if it weren't for "Oh Dear, Grandma's Pissing Her Pants Again". I enjoyed "Bennington"- but there's a lot to be said for respecting yourself.

• 10 years later...

As nice as anyone could be about it, even going as far as to donate to their cause. It’s all fuck you get canceled die and no forgiveness out there right now unfortunately. 

• Like 1

the most offensive thing about all of this is that there is a vaporwave festival at all. forcing this to be a genre with artists who perform live is really corny to me. mfs are supposed to be anonymous with names in Japanese making music that is 100% just like one song from 1992 pitched down with a phaser and some delay. bitch I don’t want to see this “live” lmao

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, scumtron said:

John Maus cancelled from Electronicon-festival

So. He watched the Capitol attack from a distance, and performed at a MDE show long before anyone knew Sam Hyde was an alt-righter. And now he is cancelled from a festival to avoid that POC and LGBTQ+ fans feels unsafe?

? that festival, john mause is amazing. 

I'm so sick of art being banned for jack shit

• Like 5

not personally a big fan of his music, listening-wise, but i can get to him as a person. i do like ariel. vaporwave was kinda interesting at first but 95% of it is junk. can't imagine the sound at that show is going to be all that great, heh. 

re: the jan 6th stuff, they were pretty much there just to see what big event was going on. the event was a fuckin joke. 

• Like 1

I'd agree that his Jan 6th participation isn't really much of an indication of anything at all, but I struggle to find much sympathy for him. He gave this interview in 2017 https://www.vice.com/en/article/gy5a59/john-maus-at-the-end-of-the-world and was asked about his involvement with MDE, and he shows a total lack of intellectual curiosity into who these guys are. And I really struggle to buy the uncurious look from him when, to respond to the furor over his presence at the jan 6th stuff, he links some centuries old papal decree or whatever it was... he does not seem like the kind of guy who would settle for ignorance. Maybe he genuinely is a good dude but the way he's dealt with these situations would make me feel concerned about who I'd run into in the audience for one of his shows. Though I wouldn't try to stop a performance or anything, I just wouldn't go. And it's kind of moot in this case since I'd have been concerned about who I'd run into at a vaporwave festival as well, that scene has some fuckin wackos

• Big Brain 1

On 6/28/2023 at 4:21 PM, Ivan Ooze said:

? that festival, john mause is amazing. 

I'm so sick of art being banned for jack shit

Will Ferrell Agree GIF

• Like 1