IGNORED

I'm buying a low end Android phone

chassis

So I'm not spending 500 squids on some ridiculous smartphone. So ive decided I still want wifi capability.

Ive narrowed it down to these two:

Samsung Galaxy 5

Samsung-i5500-Galaxy-5-India-Android.jpg

LG Optimus

lg-optimus-smartphone.jpg

Both will cost me €130, but which one should I get.

-Both will upgrade to Android eclair eventually.

-The LG has 3meg cam, Samsung only a 2meg

-The LG doesnt have a capacitive screen, the samsung does. (this is a biggy)

-I was told by the guy in the shop that the LG's sd slot supports 32gb cards but the samsung only a 16gb. Is this absolute shite though?

Both have pretty good internal memory, somewhere in the region of 150mb.

Help me decide by tomorrow watmm.

Samsung update policy is pretty shite, I wouldnt hope for an eclair update. (Unless there are some custom-roms out there)

I think the samsung actually comes with eclair on it. But the LG has donut which you can update.

Now im hungry.

droid incredible/eu equivalent?

That'd probably be the HTC desire - which I'm guessing is out of chassis' price range. However if it isn't then get it cos it's flipping brills.

droid incredible/eu equivalent?

That'd probably be the HTC desire - which I'm guessing is out of chassis' price range. However if it isn't then get it cos it's flipping brills.

It is aye. Its nearly €600 like. I'm a student so I need a pre-pay phone too.

[edit]: Can someone give me an answer to the question. Has anyone owned either of these phones, how do they work for you?

Android is a great platform, and those two phones you listed both have the ability to be rooted. I haven't worked with the low-end Android phone category, but getting 2.1 Eclair is a major step since thats really where the platform leveled in terms of speed and multiple inbox functionality. Whatever you do, let us know :emotawesomepm9:

Android is a great platform, and those two phones you listed both have the ability to be rooted. I haven't worked with the low-end Android phone category, but getting 2.1 Eclair is a major step since thats really where the platform leveled in terms of speed and multiple inbox functionality. Whatever you do, let us know :emotawesomepm9:

They just released 2.2, I wonder in I can get it if I get either of those phones. I really like the upgrades to it. In particular saving apps to the sd and being able to transfer them over to the internal when you want them.

They just released 2.2, I wonder in I can get it if I get either of those phones. I really like the upgrades to it. In particular saving apps to the sd and being able to transfer them over to the internal when you want them.

Yeah you should be OK - Android OS is Android OS irrespective of what phone it's on (erm I think !). I'm still waiting for Orange to roll out 2.2 for my phone ... they're taking their sweet time about it :unsure:

Guest the anonymous forumite

Samsung is probably one of the worst brand in terms of mobile phones. Every Samsung phone I had in my hands sucked at all levels. I really don't understand people who use Samsung.

• 1 year later...
Guest futuregirlfriend

What are the best budget options a year later for a miser like me? I won't worry about spending dough on cameras, microphones etc but I almost had a stroke while browsing phones on amazon. Haven't owned a phone in years (so quite clueless) and I'm close to buckling under the pressure to invest in one. My ancient mp3 player died so it'll be good to have something to replace that. I enjoy fucking about with shit so something with shit to fuck about with on the train is a plus. Some people I know are using giffgaff. Looks a bit too good, so any opinions on that? Do I need a tinfoil hat for my phone if it's in my pocket while out and about, to stop anything from sniffing its butt? UK by the way.

What are the best budget options a year later for a miser like me? I won't worry about spending dough on cameras, microphones etc but I almost had a stroke while browsing phones on amazon. Haven't owned a phone in years (so quite clueless) and I'm close to buckling under the pressure to invest in one. My ancient mp3 player died so it'll be good to have something to replace that. I enjoy fucking about with shit so something with shit to fuck about with on the train is a plus. Some people I know are using giffgaff. Looks a bit too good, so any opinions on that? Do I need a tinfoil hat for my phone if it's in my pocket while out and about, to stop anything from sniffing its butt? UK by the way.

i've been on gffgaff for almost 2 years now, really glad I made the switch. only trouble I've had with them is the occasional downtime on the network (in the time i've been with them, their network has gone down maybe 4 times, causing lack of text messages and no calls in or out), and at the moment there's an issue with their website which means I can't put a goodybag on my phone. Other than that, I've been very pleased with giffgaff.

as for a cheap Android phone, if you get hold of a ZTE Blade (otherwise known as an Orange San Francisco) you'll get a cheap Android phone that you can fuck about with and put Cyanogenmod on there.

Archived