IGNORED

Minecraft

Guest fiznuthian

after exploring underground for hours and collecting tons of loot, I decided to head back to my underground HQ, and to my surprise found a shaft going downward that would land me almost directly on to of it. "what good fortune" I thought, and carefully built a staircase going downward. When i got to the bottom, mere steps from my HQ's underground storage/crafting station, i stepped backwards to add a few more blocks to the bottom of my staircase, right into a lava river. All the goods I had spent hours collecting burned to a crisp, along with my unfortunate body.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People should start posting their favorite creations. I'm pleased with several of mine - a long elevated aqueduct in particular - but I think my most creative solution to a problem is the "high-speed underwater express elevator."

One of the main probs I was encountering in minecraft was going exploring underground and ending up really far from my entry point. I thought "when I get to the most resource-rich underground chamber, I should just create a spiral staircase going directly upward for easy access from the surface." Seemed like a good plan but as I was building the staircase I removed a brick and water poured in - it turned out I had surfaced at the bottom of the ocean (the water almost drowned me, pouring all the way down the spiral staircase and extinguishing a huge pool of lava to boot). I figured I might be able to swim up through the hole to the surface, and hopefully break through the ice. But the ice was a lot harder to break from below and I ended up banging on it and drowning. Second attempt was successful, but once on the surface I couldn't find my way back down again, as the water was too dark. Though I had marked the hole in the ice, I had trouble finding the hole to get back in the mine.

My solution was to go back to the mine the long way, then glass off the entire ceiling of the mine facing the ocean. The illumination would allow me to see it from the surface. This worked, but I found swimming up and down was difficult. I couldn't do anything about the swim up, but I figured out a way to make the swim down almost instantaneous. I built a tall tower with torches at the bottom to keep the ice unfrozen, and a hole in the center that lines up perfectly with the hole in the underwater chamber. When I plunge down the shaft, my velocity shoots me down into the depths and pops me out directly in the upper chamber.

minecraft_tower-1.jpg

Guest futuregirlfriend

Yeah, consumed by lava is how I finished the game last night, or rather racing to and plugging the lava leak a full 3 minute walk below my HQ after I'd died. Here's that world. I'm quite proud of the gigantic hole I dug in a computer game. My friend was laughing just at the initial set of stairs from the main room to the beginning of the excavation site. If you do open my save DON'T dig at the cobblestone at the back of the main room with the workbench etc. I had to seal that up quickfast when the feature on the roof went awry. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/696177/World1.7z

I started a new world tonight just to faff around with the inventory editor and tnt. After blasting a few mountainsides to kingdom come with chain explosions I dug underneath the house and threw a load of tnt into a small room, then after the game unfroze I explored the features that had been revealed.

in the first i'm looking down from the top of some ladders

the explosion created plenty of dark spots high up that beasts like to spawn in and shoot arrows from.

mc.jpg

outside my place in the last few. I made another lava pit beacon on the top of my house, this time didn't flood any rooms with it.

That hole where the water's running into, I previously blasted a few craters inside a natural cave. Now animals fall into the water, bounce around clambering to get out, then disappear into the black. Mine cart goes to the spawn point, haven't really figured them out yet though.

you could of just used ladders? dont they create a pocket of air as you build um down?

neat tho

for real? :facepalm: I'll give it a shot. I haven't read anything on the game apart from the wiki crafting guide

you guys seem to be the resident experts, where did you get the inventory editor? Any other neat hacks worth trying out? Is there a way to save more than one savegame in the same world file? (eg. coollevel1, coollevel2, etc)

Yeah I deleted the .exe a few days ago, it got ridiculous. I would waste so much time by just spending like 6 hours on something then get bored with it and just delete the save file. I'm gonna take a break for a few months and come back when the game has been updated a lot.

i just got it. do you guys ever do multi? i was playing it for around 5 hours earlier.

it takes a while to figure out. it's actually kind of a pain in the ass.

i haven't built anything, it seems like it would take forever, but i have spent hours exploring the inside of a mountain and figuring the game out which is incredible.

Guest AcrossCanyons

found first dungeon - got excited about finding first dungeon - fell into first dungeon unprepared - died - :(

insane

so i was finished building a second, larger tower over the site of my most fully developed mining shaft (here is a picture: http://imgur.com/36cAE.png) and i decided i should go explore for more minerals and such, try to find diamonds so i could start using iron for train tracks. i want to make a huge fucking tower base from which all mining operations are run ... carts moving through, etc. i want to expand.

anyway, i descended into the mine and started to explore and mop up the minerals. well i probably explored for 2 hours or so, after destoying all my pickaxes i needed to find my way out. i knew it was going to be hard because i had taken so many unplanned detours into unexplored territory (which was good - i found lots of diamonds, etc, caves).

well i was lost as fuck. i spun around in circles for a long time before deciding to give up finding my way back. instead i started to dig upwards - i figured i could find my tower from wherever i ended up because it was so tall. so i finally came up above ground in the middle of fucking nowhere. there were these huge cliffs i had never seen, giant fucking cliffs. waterfalls, etc. i thought if i climbed to the top i would recognize something. nope. i guess i went really far.

i decided i had fucked up massively so i was going to start to build a new camp and start over. just as i started to look for a place i saw the top of my tower forming over the top of a small mountain in the distance. i tell you what, that was a very surreal moment. it felt like i was finding the statue of liberty at the end of planet of the apes.

the point of sharing that - i don't think i made it clear how strange it was to resurface in the middle of nowhere. it felt very strange. all of a sudden everything looked unfamiliar and scary. i was in no mans land for a good half hour

insane

so i was finished building a second, larger tower over the site of my most fully developed mining shaft (here is a picture: http://imgur.com/36cAE.png) and i decided i should go explore for more minerals and such, try to find diamonds so i could start using iron for train tracks. i want to make a huge fucking tower base from which all mining operations are run ... carts moving through, etc. i want to expand.

I think the game is a bit imbalanced, rewards-wise. Before I deleted the exe, I had done exactly what you are saying, spent hours underground searching for mineral deposits to mine. I got tons of coal, but not enough iron. Plus I ended up using much of the iron I found to create picks to dig with. I think they need to increase the spawn rate of iron. I was only able to make one pitiful mine cart track. What's the purpose of the mine cart anyway? Also, my gold pickaxe seemed less durable than my iron one, what was up with that? (my fingers are twitching but my exe is still deleted...)

Guest AcrossCanyons

insane

I think the game is a bit imbalanced, rewards-wise. Before I deleted the exe, I had done exactly what you are saying, spent hours underground searching for mineral deposits to mine. I got tons of coal, but not enough iron. Plus I ended up using much of the iron I found to create picks to dig with. I think they need to increase the spawn rate of iron. I was only able to make one pitiful mine cart track. What's the purpose of the mine cart anyway? Also, my gold pickaxe seemed less durable than my iron one, what was up with that? (my fingers are twitching but my exe is still deleted...)

gold tools are only as good as wood ones. its only really for show atm I think.

Guest Pennywise

I am starting to get bored of it. I realised i just mine for stuff so i can be more efficent at mining e.g mineshafts, ladders, tools, signs etc. its a cycle of pointlessness

vamos, if your tower fort is near your spawn point, you can craft a compass which will always point toward your spawn point. that might help next time? hard to get lost if you build near your spawn. if you didn't, i'd use an editor to change your spawn location to nearer your base. never get lost.

I am starting to get bored of it. I realised i just mine for stuff so i can be more efficent at mining e.g mineshafts, ladders, tools, signs etc. its a cycle of pointlessness

lol isn't the point of mining stuff builing stuff?

Guest Pennywise

it would be cool if you could sell stuff you have mined. Like, you go to a town to sell iron for cash. then you buy cool shit with it from the stores.

hey guys, ITS A WORK IN PROGRESS

and thank god for that. Once they actually have survival multiplayer up and running properly, and if they were to implement a merchant system and a way for people to fight each other, I'd never leave my room again. Imagine the fun of two teams being dropped into an unfamiliar environment, and having to build defenses to fight one another, a-la the original Populous.

Archived