IGNORED

it's not safe to use public wifi without a vpn

chaosmachine

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

soo do I have to pay someone to get reasonable connection speed or does this work some other way?

Yeah, you'll need a server. I use a VPS from Linode.

If you have a little linux knowledge, setup is easy: http://library.linode.com/networking/vpn-services/openvpn-ubuntu-9.10-karmic

soo do I have to pay someone to get reasonable connection speed or does this work some other way?

Yeah, you'll need a server. I use a VPS from Linode.

If you have a little linux knowledge, setup is easy: http://library.linode.com/networking/vpn-services/openvpn-ubuntu-9.10-karmic

thanks, I´m gonna look into that.

In my dorm I only have internet through a WEP-secured WiFi :cerious:

...definitely gonna have to change that.

well it appears that my school's network is safe.cause i'm not capturing shit. :( I was looking forward to doing some stalking!!

i totally didn't try this at starbucks, and didn't manage to get some guy's facebook in about 10 seconds.

also, if you're on windows, you need to install winpcap.

what about tucking your penis behind your legs? If i browse with my penis tucked behind my legs will i be safe? Can they get my passwords if my penis is tucked behind my legs?

Why did firefox make this :trashbear:

:facepalm:

And no, hiding your SSID won't make you safe.

No seriously. I know it highlights the problem. But someone who thinks hacking someones personal accounts is more likely to be a moron that wouldn't know how to this.

Its like having it as hit number 1 when you google "1337 h4cking". 'Cept this is actually useful.

Why did firefox make this :trashbear:

:facepalm:

And no, hiding your SSID won't make you safe.

No seriously. I know it highlights the problem. But someone who thinks hacking someones personal accounts is more likely to be a moron that wouldn't know how to this.

Its like having it as hit number 1 when you google "1337 h4cking". 'Cept this is actually useful.

WHAT?

Mozilla (Firefox) didn't make it, some guy made an extension for Firefox.

Oh sorry, I though it was a firefox made extension.

and he posted it partly to highlight that security through obscurity is no security

better that exploits like this are as *widely* known as possible then as *little* known as possible.

and he posted it partly to highlight that security through obscurity is no security

better that exploits like this are as *widely* known as possible then as *little* known as possible.

Probably, but I dont see facebook doing much about this cause they suck. This is going to be massive in my college though. The whole campus is wifi cover with no wep key and thousands of students logging into facebook literally every minute. I think I'll be emailing my IT dept to see what theyre gonna do about it.

Guest Deep Fried Everything

my former co-worker who manages corporate it for a law firm had a good point: what exactly restricts the use of this tool to wifi? would it not also work over a shared wired (Ethernet) connection? ie myself and my 2 co-workers are connected to the same switch?

Probably, but I dont see facebook doing much about this cause they suck. This is going to be massive in my college though. The whole campus is wifi cover with no wep key and thousands of students logging into facebook literally every minute. I think I'll be emailing my IT dept to see what theyre gonna do about it.

when exploits are very widely known, companies have to fix things, or else face outrage. or be microsoft.

Guest Wall Bird

Would anyone with the know-how be interested in showing us how to use a VPN? I would greatly appreciate it, as I'm sure several of us would.

Would anyone with the know-how be interested in showing us how to use a VPN? I would greatly appreciate it, as I'm sure several of us would.

Step one: get a vpn account somewhere. google "vpn accounts". or if you know linux, get a linode and read this.

Step two: send all your traffic through it with one of these program (read the documentation):

http://code.google.com/p/tunnelblick/ (osx)

http://openvpn.se/ (windows)

Or just set up a SSH daemon on your home network and route your internet traffic over your home line. Ofcourse your speed will be limited to your home connection upload rate. But I can't imagine free VPN providers doing much better. Oh and you'll need some sort of home server ofcourse (although you could do it with router software like DD-WRT.)

It's pretty easy to do. Set up daemon, connect with putty, set firefox to use SOCKS5 proxy.

Or just set up a SSH daemon on your home network and route your internet traffic over your home line. Ofcourse you'll speed be limited to your home connection upload rate. But I can't imagine free VPN providers doing much better.

It's pretty easy to do. Set up daemon, connect with putty, set firefox to use SOCKS5 proxy.

socks5 performance really sucks, unfortunately. if you can set up ssh, you can set up a vpn with a few more minutes effort. it's worth it, imo.

Guest fondles the cat

fuck me, i know absolutely nothing about computers. is it naive to think i can get by in life just using my own secured network?

fuck me, i know absolutely nothing about computers. is it naive to think i can get by in life just using my own secured network?

as long as you never let anyone else on that network (not even family), then yes you can be naive

Archived