IGNORED

Archer

essines

Fucking awesome animated show. was called "James Bond meets Arrested Development". I find it fucking hilarious. Got like 3 or 4 cast members from AD and H Jon Benjamin, among others. Hilarious.

Guest Enter a new display name

I watched an episode 2 days ago on TV and I didn't see the point of it. Archer yells at everybody, great...

Guest tv_party

I don't like it nearly as much as frisky dingo, which is pretty much the animated comedy gold standard for me, but since that's as close as we're gonna get these days I'll take it.

• 1 year later...

Me and friends would watch it, sometimes while high.

The appealing part is how everyone is an ass to each other. Sometime I can find it funny other times I'm just like we get it... your an ass and you do assy stuff.

My friends natural humor comes from him being an ass and seeing others in pain so natural this was the show for him.

I'll give it a 5/10 -8/10 depending on some episodes.

I did like Frisky Dingo although non of my friends know about the show. So when I said "hey! This is a lot like Frisky Dingo!" I got no reply.

Dumb, awkward pauses and clunky dialogue, just like Frisky Dingo. I guess some people like that tho
I watched an episode 2 days ago on TV and I didn't see the point of it. Archer yells at everybody, great...
The appealing part is how everyone is an ass to each other

...I'm just like we get it... your an ass and you do assy stuff.

This, this, and these. I get it but I just don't get it. Not very funny, and I loved Arrested Development, although I've never watched Frisky Domingo. I have a friend who actually annoys the shit out of me most of the time when we hang out. He loves this show and...

My friends natural humor comes from him being an ass and seeing others in pain so natural this was the show for him.

...yeah, basically, sounds about right.

i don't enjoy seeing anyone in pain. I just think this show is funny. I'd much rather see stupid violence and humour on tv than in real life (though i know the argument otherwise). Not being able to handle this kind of television is brutal. But i suppose most people are idiotic.

*also i directed my post at no one, i'm a bit drunk.

i don't enjoy seeing anyone in pain. I just think this show is funny. I'd much rather see stupid violence and humour on tv than in real life (though i know the argument otherwise). Not being able to handle this kind of television is brutal. But i suppose most people are idiotic.

*also i directed my post at no one, i'm a bit drunk.

I don't have a problem with seeing people in pain on TV. I think the show is idiotic. But, yeah, you're drunk, so I'm an idiot too, for trying to argue with you. Internet, arguing, special olympics, etc.

Archer derives humor from more than just general assholery. There is significant assholery, but it's satirized. You are supposed to watch laughing at the ultraviolent tropes and willfully shallow characters.

I don't know, maybe hanging out exclusively with assholes is coloring your sense of humor.

You are supposed to watch laughing at the ultraviolent tropes and willfully shallow characters.

Reminded of other friends explaining to me why Family Guy is funny. I am kind of fascinated by that show aesthetically but I don't think it's ever genuinely amused me.

I don't know, maybe hanging out exclusively with assholes is coloring your sense of humor.

No. I wouldn't call him an asshole, he just spouts the same kinds of things these characters do most of the time and I guess expects other people to be amused by it. When he gets it out of his system he's actually a decent guy. I don't see him very often either - he currently lives on a different continent. I don't have other friends that do this kind of thing, and I don't consider any of my friends assholes.

You are supposed to watch laughing at the ultraviolent tropes and willfully shallow characters.

Reminded of other friends explaining to me why Family Guy is funny. I am kind of fascinated by that show aesthetically but I don't think it's ever genuinely amused me.

No. I wouldn't call him an asshole, he just spouts the same kinds of things these characters do most of the time and I guess expects other people to be amused by it. When he gets it out of his system he's actually a decent guy. I don't see him very often either - he currently lives on a different continent. I don't have other friends that do this kind of thing, and I don't consider any of my friends assholes.

See, I don't particularly like Family Guy at all. Family Guy reminds me of Dane Cook; it's not that the content is actually amusing so much as the pacing of the delivery sets up an expectation which somehow gets people laughing. But to each their own.

It's all a matter of taste; I just wouldn't call Archer idiotic. Something like Two and a Half Men, yes. But Archer has genuine satirical and aesthetic merit, imo. There's enough punning in the visual language alone to keep it from being genuinely stupid.

And as much as Archer is a boorish asshole, it's presented as a serious character flaw, and over the course of the series it's basically served to corrupt everyone around him; it's about an actual process of moral degradation, and a few of the characters (Lana) are trying to actively fight against it, winning a couple battles and losing quite a few more. All I'm saying is those flaws aren't unexamined--the whole show is devoted to examining them-- and that keeps the show away from being totally empty trash.

That's not to say it's a masterpiece, either. It's just decent satire. Again, opinions.

Archived