IGNORED

watmm photographers

keltoi

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do you work mostly with JPEG or RAW? pros and cons?

I shoot JPEG. RAW is overrated and mostly just chews up memory. If you're shooting in a studio and you plan on Photoshopping the fuck out of your images, fine, but otherwise it's unnecessary.

lol - raw is overrated?

how much time do you chew up having to use a gray card every time you wish to shoot jpg?

flash memory is cheap. missed moments are priceless. "photoshopping the fuck out of our images" lol - if you consider adjusting whitebalance without sacrificing quality "photoshopping" - then lol

raw allows wb adjustment without inducing noise. free of charge.

i think that factor of the reasons for using raw are severely overlooked by many

that is all.

4274654246_d527e2be5b_z.jpg?zz=1

What the fuck man, that is incredible :wtf:

Do you have the exif info on that picture, or just some details on how it was done ?! Congrats on such an awesome picture !

holy balls that is an awesome shot!!

Guest umop_apisdn

favourite camera?

I haven't had many. Right now shooting with a Canon T2i and I like it a lot. I don't use video much, but that's because I shoot mostly wildlife and I rarely have it with me when I see something worthy.

favourite lense and why?

I like my Canon 28-135mm IS lens because it has decent range...but can't really zoom in too much so I still have to occasionally break out the 75-300.

JPEG. I'm not a professional photographer nor do I plan to become one. I typically like my exposures as I get them and do very minor tweaking most of the time.

most used or favourite accessory?

Probably my 480 ex II flash with cord. I made a home-made ring light that it powers and have gotten some really nice shots using it.

care to share any nuggets of wisdom or tips for the novice/hobbyist?

You're wasting time by using any of the automatic settings. You won't learn a cot damn thing until you start playing with full auto. I have no photography background whatsoever and can take some decent shots (I think, at least).

any tutorials, websites or forums you can recommend?

No. I don't obsess over photography except for when it comes to better equipment, which I usually learn about through friends or piddling around on Amazon or Slickdeals.

do you always touch up with software or prefer not to use it? which software(s) do you use?

I only touch up using "Digital Photo Professional" which comes with pretty much all of the digital Rebels, I believe.

ever tried hdr photography? link to results/examples please?

No

please link your flickr(or similar) accounts.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48132074@N06/

but you probably can't see my photos on there since you have to be a friend first. But here's a few.

5903893134_0791656f81_z.jpg

5778678513_0b9768cdbd_z.jpg

5895818164_fb36a7b4fe_z.jpg

5895668534_29f092fa82_z.jpg

5895657000_4c278b0be9_z.jpg

5903211620_9bafd73ddd_z.jpg

5527266653_83fc6245ea_z.jpg

5314942358_c121e04306_z.jpg

5641772997_f427c78d6e_z.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

favourite camera?

I haven't had many. Right now shooting with a Canon T2i and I like it a lot. I don't use video much, but that's because I shoot mostly wildlife and I rarely have it with me when I see something worthy.

favourite lense and why?

I like my Canon 28-135mm IS lens because it has decent range...but can't really zoom in too much so I still have to occasionally break out the 75-300.

JPEG. I'm not a professional photographer nor do I plan to become one. I typically like my exposures as I get them and do very minor tweaking most of the time.

Probably my 480 ex II flash with cord. I made a home-made ring light that it powers and have gotten some really nice shots using it.

You're wasting time by using any of the automatic settings. You won't learn a cot damn thing until you start playing with full auto. I have no photography background whatsoever and can take some decent shots (I think, at least).

No. I don't obsess over photography except for when it comes to better equipment, which I usually learn about through friends or piddling around on Amazon or Slickdeals.

do you always touch up with software or prefer not to use it? which software(s) do you use?

I only touch up using "Digital Photo Professional" which comes with pretty much all of the digital Rebels, I believe.

No

but you probably can't see my photos on there since you have to be a friend first. But here's a few.

I like your photos! I use a Rebel T2i, too, but I'm just getting into photography again. Just have the packaged 18-55 lens at the moment and I really need to pick up a few more. The whole thing was a gift, though, and I'm extremely grateful-- I hadn't taken a proper photograph in probably 5 years until I got this in May.

I was a bit more serious a few years back--did some intensive photography as part of a field biology class at college. It's not quite like riding a bike, but it's coming back to me slowly.

Anyway, so the 28-135 should be next, eh?

This is me on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/iteritinerant/

Basically just my pictures from Tanzania, which I got back from this month: some are pretty clunky but I remembered what the fuck I was doing once or twice. I'm not good enough yet to work around the limitations of an 18-55 lens when standing on top of a Land Cruiser... I know a few great photographers who could make it work with less.

Guest umop_apisdn

favourite camera?

favourite lense and why?

No

I like your photos! I use a Rebel T2i, too, but I'm just getting into photography again. Just have the packaged 18-55 lens at the moment and I really need to pick up a few more. The whole thing was a gift, though, and I'm extremely grateful-- I hadn't taken a proper photograph in probably 5 years until I got this in May.

I was a bit more serious a few years back--did some intensive photography as part of a field biology class at college. It's not quite like riding a bike, but it's coming back to me slowly.

Anyway, so the 28-135 should be next, eh?

This is me on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/iteritinerant/

Basically just my pictures from Tanzania, which I got back from this month: some are pretty clunky but I remembered what the fuck I was doing once or twice. I'm not good enough yet to work around the limitations of an 18-55 lens when standing on top of a Land Cruiser... I know a few great photographers who could make it work with less.

Glad I caught this. Saw you added me on flickr earlier, but didn't figure who it was (I get a few people into reptiles and amphibians, but I don't like the idea of the general public having access to my photos). I wouldn't have added you had I not seen this!

I don't know if I would recommend the 28-135 IS lens just yet. Currently, I lust for the Tamron 18-270. It would replace all but my macro lens and only leave me without the 270-300 range. For anyone who desires a single lens that has good versatility, I'd recommend it. Especially any field biologists who go for closeups of animals they can't get too close to for safety reasons (or birds/other animals that flee) along with wider shots of animals and the surrounding habitat. I think if you're good at waiting and watching prices, you can get the Tamron 18-270 for around $450, while I think its normal market price is somewhere in the $600-650 range.

You'll definitely feel the limitations of an 18-55 while it's your only option at hand. But that's what I started with when I got my first DSLR a few years ago. Aside from dropping my 18-55 IS and 28-135 IS for the aforementioned Tamron lens, I would next look to a 500mm lens. Mainly for birds and other stuff mostly shot at greater distances. A borrowed a friend's Sigma 50-500 or whatever a few months ago and got some great footage of a redbellied woodpecker chick being fed by its mom. I had the camera on a tripod roughly 200 feet away.

Redbellied woodpecker chick begs for food

I personally don't feel the need to drop $1k+ on L-series lenses. I'm not a pro (nor do I plan to be), I don't plan on publishing photos, and in the proper conditions I feel like I get the clarity I'm after. I'm not into competing with fellow amateurs for who has the best equipment. Just make the best with what you've got.

And if you continue on with field biology, you probably know from your past experiences the value of having your camera on you at any moment (or even the frustration of not having it there). I do field work 7 days a week (most weeks except the fall semester), so I get tons of field time and I run across tons of cool shit. In part, I believe my interest in biology combined with photography has helped me develop into a little more of a naturalist in the past year. While it used to be my only concern was herps (spare the herpes jokes, please), I now find myself photographing more birds and invertebrates. I rarely take photos of people. A good telephoto lens also can double as a decent monocular when it's handy.

Guest umop_apisdn

I would also like to amend my original statement of not learning a cot damn thing unless in full auto. I meant to say full manual.

Thanks for the advice, umop. The Tamron 18-270 looks pretty tempting despite my complete lack of financial resources.

Do you have any experience with the Canon EF-S 55-250? I'm seeing these go for pretty cheap. Would be pretty good coverage combined with the 18-55.

Do you have any experience with the Canon EF-S 55-250? I'm seeing these go for pretty cheap. Would be pretty good coverage combined with the 18-55.

i do, i think it's a fantastic lens for the money. it's only f/5,6 at 250mm, but it's stabilized so you can still get away with it.

Guest umop_apisdn

I had the 55-250 very shortly, but when I upgraded to the T2i, I gave the lens to my parents. It's a cheap lens that I didn't really use much before giving it to my parents. My dad could make better use of it (being a complete DSLR novice) trying to photograph the deer he feeds in the back yard than I would. When I break out my Tamron 75-300, I'm going for the range more than anything...and often I'm left wishing I had even more zoom. You'd only really benefit from the 55-250 in low light (slower shutter speed) situations, IMO. 75-300mm non-IS lenses sell for only around $100 or so, so maybe think of one of those.

Cool DSLR controller app for android.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnxvFYza6Y4&feature=player_embedded

For now, the program works with USB-on-the-go-enabled devices only, as well as with Canon EOS DSLRs, while a laptop or any other computer is not required. Its developer, going by the nickname "Chainfire," has tested the app utilizing the Samsung Galaxy S2 smartphone and Motorola Xoom tablet, as well as the Canon EOS 550D, 50D, 7D, 5D mk II, 1D mk IV cameras.

article link app

I don't know how many of these things there are out there, but i thought this was pretty cool.

New Sony NEX-7 is being released this October... already sold off a few things to fund for it :emotawesomepm9:

sony-nex-7.png

Supposedly that Zeiss 24mm f1.8 has a build in leaf shutter... if that's the case, AWESOME.

other specs:

24,3 Exmor HD sensor

100-16.000 ISO

1200 zone metering

1920×1080 60p/60i/24p AVCHD 2.0 (28Mbit/s) video recording

3 million dot XGA OLED viewfinder

3inch 921k TruBlack LCD display (touchscreen)

10 fps

20ms startup time

Built-in flash

New universal hot shoe

Battery life for over 400 shots

Magnesium alloy body

For now, the program works with USB-on-the-go-enabled devices only, as well as with Canon EOS DSLRs, while a laptop or any other computer is not required. Its developer, going by the nickname "Chainfire," has tested the app utilizing the Samsung Galaxy S2 smartphone and Motorola Xoom tablet, as well as the Canon EOS 550D, 50D, 7D, 5D mk II, 1D mk IV cameras.

article link app

I don't know how many of these things there are out there, but i thought this was pretty cool.

nice.

article link app

Thats really pretty cool, might get it

any efs kttns looking for a stellar but reasonably priced lens need to canon efs 60 2.8 macro

sharp as all wide open (look at MTFcharts) - and functinos as a good portrait lens on 1.6x crop bodies

Guest ansgaria

I recently got an old Minolta XG-1 from my girlfriend's mom, nice little thing, can't wait to develop the film I'm shooting right now. I also bought a 28mm f/2.8 lense for it, got it for next to nothing.

The same day I forgot my Polaroid camera in the bus when I was in a hurry to get off. I have 10+ packs of Polaroid film that are just lying here, begging to be used. Fuck.

Archived