IGNORED

Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972

triachus

http://wtrns.fr/kaAo1h4WDa​VrxI here's that 10 hour mix from Tim Hecker.

After releasing the fantastic Ravedeath, 1972 earlier this year, Montreal sound artist Tim Hecker has returned with a new mix called Really Eternal Music / Your Bloated Hard Drive.

The XLR8R exclusive can be heard here. A description from them is available below:

What a brilliant idea it would be to have the Canadian noisemaker share with us a mix of even more glacial and angelic soundscapes–maybe a nice collection of his unreleased or back-catalogued material along with a handful of tracks that resonate within him as an artist. Well, in hindsight, maybe we were a bit naive to think Hecker would turn in the customary assemblage of tracks one figures to hear, as he has instead delivered an extremely long (not exaggerating at all here) mix, which is as unexpected as it is intriguing.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoa.. so did he pull an Autechre and put together a legit 10 hour mix

OR.. did he literally take "Marian Zazeela's 1969 album The Black Record and elongate it to not two, not three, but over 13 times its original length"

It looks like the latter.. I can't hear for myself though, download link is down

yeah it's the later. i had an idea about just downloading flacs of that album and stretching it 13 times myself but couldn't find it.

Guest Enter a new display name

I know it's the same link. I just saved people a few seconds from going back to your post to reach the now working link. :spiteful:

Guest MortstoX

Sorry for the bump.. but:

Top reasons why this album is a flawed masterpiece as a vinyl record

1. In the Fog is split between sides A and B

2. Hatred of Music is split between SIDES B AND C. It takes a full record exchange to hear this piece

What gives Kranky?! Other than that, this release is still fresher than fresh

How many minutes can be put on one side before the sound quality gets poorer? It should be like this:

A: "The Piano Drop" – 2:54

"In the Fog I" – 4:52

"In the Fog II" – 6:01

"In the Fog III" – 5:01

B: "No Drums" – 3:24

"Hatred of Music I" – 6:11

"Hatred of Music II" – 4:22

"Analog Paralysis, 1978" – 3:52

C: "Studio Suicide, 1980" – 3:25

"In the Air I" – 4:12

"In the Air II" – 4:08

"In the Air III" – 4:02

D: Silence, bonus track, whatever.

How many minutes can be put on one side before the sound quality gets poorer?

It's generally about 15-20 minutes so that layout would've been fine but yeah that sounds pretty terrible that it's been cut like that. If that was my project that I'd spent so much time on I'd be furious if it had been treated like like (unless of course it was artistic intent in which case - what on earth was he thinking :blink: ?!)

It's funny how No Drums reminds me of "Spider and I" by Eno... The melody is similar, isn't it? There's also a moment towards the end of the record that heavily brings Schulze's Irrlicht to my mind, and some other little moments too I think. Almost as if he'd taken different albums, "muted" them and left the melodies in the background. If I didn't know how the album was made I'd almost take that for granted, heh.

A: "The Piano Drop" – 2:54

"In the Fog I" – 4:52

"In the Fog II" – 6:01

"In the Fog III" – 5:01

B: "Hatred of Music I" – 6:11

"Hatred of Music II" – 4:22

C: "No Drums" – 3:24

"Analog Paralysis, 1978" – 3:52

"Studio Suicide, 1980" – 3:25

D: "In the Air I" – 4:12

"In the Air II" – 4:08

"In the Air III" – 4:02

Would be my ideal. really, anything to keep Hatred of Music together would be my preference. Side B being much shorter than side A would be okay given the pure concentrated epic that is Hatred of Music

And you could totally fit 18m of quality music on a side, the record as pressed has plenty of extra inner groove space

• 5 months later...
Guest Hanratty

This is great!

Wish I knew about it earlier.

same here. I just recently discovered this. I'd been a big fan but was not thrilled by Imaginary Country (think i need to check it out again). Dropped Pianos is also really good!

• 2 years later...
Guest transmisiones ferox

on vinyl?

I totally sold my vinyl bc the break up of the tracks was completely bogus.

Yep, I didn't mind the break up between the tracks, love the overall flow of the vinyl,

cheers!

Archived