IGNORED

Anonymous and others start leaking

o00o

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe Biden December 16th

MITCHELL: This is Vice President Joe Biden, who told me that the leaked cables created no substantive damage -- only embarrassment . . . .

BIDEN: And I came in [to the U.N.] almost all to embraces - it wasn't just shaking hands - I know these guys, I know these women - they still trust the United States - there's all kinds of --

MITCHELL: So there's no damage?

BIDEN: I don't think there's any damage. I don't think there's any substantive damage, no. Look, some of the cables are embarrassing . . . but nothing that I'm aware of that goes to the essence of the relationship that would allow another nation to say: "they lied to me, we don't trust them, they really are not dealing fairly with us."

Joe Biden December 17th after he was told 'what the fuck are you doing sir? stick to the party line!'

BIDEN: This guy has done things that have damaged and put in jeopardy the lives and occupations of other parts of the world. He's made it more difficult for us to conduct our business with our allies and our friends. For example, in my meetings -- you know I meet with most of these world leaders -- there is a desire to meet with me alone, rather than have staff in the room: it makes things more cumbersome -- so it has done damage.

video of each clip available here - http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/

This needs to be re-posted on every page

[youtubehd]hl4NlA97GeQ[/youtubehd]

Now on a healthy 61,000 views after 2 days online. Views stacking up quickly now.

Now 82,488 views, 2 hours later

so what was the part about a secret war in Yemen?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/yemen/8166610/WikiLeaks-Yemen-covered-up-US-drone-strikes.html

the best part of the Yemen cable is this

according to a leaked document from January, Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh told Gen David Petraeus, then commander of US forces in the Middle East, that: "We'll continue saying the bombs are ours, not yours." The conversation was reported in a diplomatic cable sent back to Washington by a US diplomat in Yemen.

specifically that a US drone attack killed 41 local residents, and the US government asked them to cover it up, which they subsequently did. I'm not sure if there are other mentions of attacks in Yemen in these cables or it just proves a lot of the speculation that we've been bombing Yemen.

yeah that seems like more than a dash of hyperbole in the Rap News vid. Don't think one or a handful of incidents qualifies as war, seems more akin to what goes on between Israel and Palestine, the difference being that the Yemeni govt is in cooperation with the US and simply doesn't want to look bad to their own people. Glad it got leaked though, the Yemeni people should know. That's why I liked the part in the Rap News vid with Hillary; seeing other countries as "franchisees" is spot on.

Guest Ranky Redlof

This needs to be re-posted on every page

[youtubehd]hl4NlA97GeQ[/youtubehd]

Now on a healthy 61,000 views after 2 days online. Views stacking up quickly now.

epic!

liquid explosion at 4:40 :yeah:

Guest disparaissant

I don't necessarily support everything Wikileaks is doing, but Glenn Greenwald has put together a list of some of the stories it has revealed that would be major news stories in their own right, in contrast with the mainstream media message that we already knew everything in the documents and that the cables were just “gossip.'

(1) the U.S. military formally adopted a policy of turning a blind eye to systematic, pervasive torture and other abuses by Iraqi forces;

(2) the State Department threatened Germany not to criminally investigate the CIA's kidnapping of one of its citizens who turned out to be completely innocent;

(3) the State Department under Bush and Obama applied continuous pressure on the Spanish Government to suppress investigations of the CIA's torture of its citizens and the 2003 killing of a Spanish photojournalist when the U.S. military fired on the Palestine Hotel in Baghdad (see The Philadelphia Inquirer's Will Bunch today about this: “The day Barack Obama Lied to me');

(4) the British Government privately promised to shield Bush officials from embarrassment as part of its Iraq War “investigation';

(5) there were at least 15,000 people killed in Iraq that were previously uncounted;

(6) “American leaders lied, knowingly, to the American public, to American troops, and to the world' about the Iraq war as it was prosecuted, a conclusion the Post's own former Baghdad Bureau Chief wrote was proven by the WikiLeaks documents;

(7) the U.S.'s own Ambassador concluded that the July, 2009 removal of the Honduran President was illegal - a coup - but the State Department did not want to conclude that and thus ignored it until it was too late to matter;

(8) U.S. and British officials colluded to allow the U.S. to keep cluster bombs on British soil even though Britain had signed the treaty banning such weapons, and,

(9) Hillary Clinton's State Department ordered diplomats to collect passwords, emails, and biometric data on U.N. and other foreign officials, almost certainly in violation of the Vienna Treaty of 1961.

(10) The US essentially approved the military coup that toppled democratically elected Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and instated a more business-friendly monarchy on September 19, 2006, while publicly distancing itself from the takeover

(11) U.S. Tax Dollars Fund Child Sex Slavery in Afghanistan

(12) Shell Oil has infiltrated every ministry of the Nigerian Government with politicians on their payroll

That's just a sampling.

This is what Joe Lieberman and his comrades are desperately trying to suppress - literally prevent it from being accessible on the Internet. And 'journalists' like Capehart play along by continuing to insist there's 'nothing new' being revealed by WikiLeaks despite their never having reported any of this. And since the disclosures, does anyone believe that any of these revelations have received anything close to meaningful attention by the American establishment media? But remember - as Capehart's newspaper taught us today - revelations by the organization WikiLeaks have received blanket coverage this week on television, in newspapers' in Free America - showing what a Vibrant, Adversarial Press we are blessed with - but in many Arab countries, the mainstream media have largely avoided reporting on the sensitive contents of the cables.'

I don't necessarily support everything Wikileaks is doing, but Glenn Greenwald has put together a list of some of the stories it has revealed that would be major news stories in their own right, in contrast with the mainstream media message that we already knew everything in the documents and that the cables were just “gossip.'

(1) the U.S. military formally adopted a policy of turning a blind eye to systematic, pervasive torture and other abuses by Iraqi forces;

(2) the State Department threatened Germany not to criminally investigate the CIA's kidnapping of one of its citizens who turned out to be completely innocent;

(3) the State Department under Bush and Obama applied continuous pressure on the Spanish Government to suppress investigations of the CIA's torture of its citizens and the 2003 killing of a Spanish photojournalist when the U.S. military fired on the Palestine Hotel in Baghdad (see The Philadelphia Inquirer's Will Bunch today about this: “The day Barack Obama Lied to me');

(4) the British Government privately promised to shield Bush officials from embarrassment as part of its Iraq War “investigation';

(5) there were at least 15,000 people killed in Iraq that were previously uncounted;

(6) “American leaders lied, knowingly, to the American public, to American troops, and to the world' about the Iraq war as it was prosecuted, a conclusion the Post's own former Baghdad Bureau Chief wrote was proven by the WikiLeaks documents;

(7) the U.S.'s own Ambassador concluded that the July, 2009 removal of the Honduran President was illegal - a coup - but the State Department did not want to conclude that and thus ignored it until it was too late to matter;

(8) U.S. and British officials colluded to allow the U.S. to keep cluster bombs on British soil even though Britain had signed the treaty banning such weapons, and,

(9) Hillary Clinton's State Department ordered diplomats to collect passwords, emails, and biometric data on U.N. and other foreign officials, almost certainly in violation of the Vienna Treaty of 1961.

(10) The US essentially approved the military coup that toppled democratically elected Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and instated a more business-friendly monarchy on September 19, 2006, while publicly distancing itself from the takeover

(11) U.S. Tax Dollars Fund Child Sex Slavery in Afghanistan

(12) Shell Oil has infiltrated every ministry of the Nigerian Government with politicians on their payroll

That's just a sampling.

This is what Joe Lieberman and his comrades are desperately trying to suppress - literally prevent it from being accessible on the Internet. And 'journalists' like Capehart play along by continuing to insist there's 'nothing new' being revealed by WikiLeaks despite their never having reported any of this. And since the disclosures, does anyone believe that any of these revelations have received anything close to meaningful attention by the American establishment media? But remember - as Capehart's newspaper taught us today - revelations by the organization WikiLeaks have received blanket coverage this week on television, in newspapers' in Free America - showing what a Vibrant, Adversarial Press we are blessed with - but in many Arab countries, the mainstream media have largely avoided reporting on the sensitive contents of the cables.'

This should be quoted and posted in every newspaper and on every news website.

tumblr_ldsqpnBneV1qztwlro1_500.jpg

awesome. I am currently reading some article by CCC (Chaos Computer Club) the german guys assange was working with in the beginning. Sadly its in german but there are deep insides of why we are currently driving into a society of state security. The main point these guys have is that biometric passports etc. are not stopping terror they have the goal of protecting the state from some kind of riot caused by things like the financial crisis. They mention that people in charge for the crisis are much more scared of this scenario than you would assume etc. I am still reading it its very interesting.

awesome. I am currently reading some article by CCC (Chaos Computer Club) the german guys assange was working with in the beginning. Sadly its in german but there are deep insides of why we are currently driving into a society of state security. The main point these guys have is that biometric passports etc. are not stopping terror they have the goal of protecting the state from some kind of riot caused by things like the financial crisis. They mention that people in charge for the crisis are much more scared of this scenario than you would assume etc. I am still reading it its very interesting.

stuff like TSA backscatter machines and patdowns are what's called security theater. it makes everyone feel safer, without any impact on statistics. so they're happy whilst their civil liberties are eroded, one by one.

stuff like TSA backscatter machines and patdowns are what's called security theater. it makes everyone feel safer, without any impact on statistics. so they're happy whilst their civil liberties are eroded, one by one.

exactly. They also mention that people where pretty much unprepared for the last leak even in the US government. that also explained the weird reactions by some on last minute. The main goal of the leaks was to increase cost of internal communication in secret state departments. It was really interesting sadly there is no translation

apparently it's the real deal, but so far it's only norwegian centric (mostly related to oil company deals, nothing shocking). I do hope they blow lid off some bigger issues over the holidays, digging through it all must take it's time...

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=no&sl=no&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aftenposten.no%2Fnyheter%2Furiks%2Fwikileaks%2F

Archived