IGNORED

Software: Convince me

Boxing Day

what hardware have you got?

I used to have a 606 , 707 , Korg MS-20 and a korg electribe (lol). I sold them all because of circumstances.

feel your pain, i was gutted when i had to sell my ms10 cause i was broke

but those days have passed luckily in my house now my pal and i have a prophet 08, synthi VCS3, korg mono/poly, a custom-built modular system, nord modular G2 and several hundred kilograms of assorted pedals and FX. plus a ton of guitars, vintage valve amps and electronic organs.

yet at the beating heart of it all is logic and ableton. go figure. software rules.

also, hardware sequencing really, really sucks.

except the prophet's sequencer. that's pretty cool. but nothing's easier than a mouse.

I heard good this about renoise , (it has midi-support i assume)

yes.

yea, all the tracks have a delay adjuster too, so that it's very simple to get your hardware synths in sync with whatever you're sequencing.

This will no doubt cause 20 people to attack me, but I think the biggest con about software is you don't get the same sort of feeling as just jamming out for 3 hours and not realizing it.

Guest Adjective

This will no doubt cause 20 people to attack me, but I think the biggest con about software is you don't get the same sort of feeling as just jamming out for 3 hours and not realizing it.

I won't attack but this doesn't match my experience. it depends on how comfortable you feel with what you're using. if i'm in renoise and have enough keyboard shortcuts committed to memory (i forget a lot) then i can get really comfortable and lose hours easily. but then i don't do much "live" editing, i'm in love with that feeling that i've frozen a moment in the music and can nudge pieces of it around, not strictly tethered to the music i'm hearing. if i get in the mood to ride some knobs :cry: then yes i'd probably be craving some hardware as well. <3

i think that's true to an extent but largely depends on what software you're using, and how you're using it. i've certainly approximated that jamming feelin with ableton and a pal or two on live instruments, swapping out and manipulating loops and rhythms and tweaking effects on the fly.

Guest Scrambled Ears

Ah you must mean actually playing an instrument...what a weird concept :trashbear:

also, hardware sequencing really, really sucks.

except the prophet's sequencer. that's pretty cool. but nothing's easier than a keyboard and mouse.

And Renoise is the shit. I can't even fathom doing some of the shit I do in Renoise with anything else. I made a track in Ableton for my upcoming release, and it was really stressful.

post some of your music

You will only hear it when i'm good enough to be on Warp ,lol (It could be a year from now or never)

therefore we will never hear it because criticism is essential to improving your music.

unless you're getting criticism from extra-watmm sources, or it's completely amazing.

Boxing Day, the above is absolute rubbish. criticism is not essential to improving at all. it's better to isolate yourself and do what YOU wanna do, not listen to the opinions of a hundred strangers on the internet! i wouldn't post any of it online if i was you, until you really want to and you've got something finished that you're happy with. especially not on watmm, anyway! lol. 'cos people will either slag it off or they'll steal your ideas and copy you if it's really good, or they'll just politely say well done and keep up the good work, if it's shite lol. this is probably one of the worst places i can think of that you could post your music while it's in progress and/or you're unestablished/unsigned to any label. just play it to your mates (if you have any outside of watmm.com) :) and you should know yourself whether it's any good or not.

for now just keep making your music on whatever you can. if you've had to sell all your hardware then use software til you can afford to buy some new hardware, if that's what you prefer to work with. this time will be a good time for you to check out new softwares and work with that for a while. never know, you might like it more this time. just remember, your idol RDJ didn't develop his own style and improve by posting his music on internet forums and inviting criticism from a bunch of dweebs like kaini. :)

oh and yeah, like other people have said here before, use both, 'cos you can.

post some of your music

You will only hear it when i'm good enough to be on Warp ,lol (It could be a year from now or never)

therefore we will never hear it because criticism is essential to improving your music.

unless you're getting criticism from extra-watmm sources, or it's completely amazing.

Boxing Day, the above is absolute rubbish. criticism is not essential to improving at all. it's better to isolate yourself and do what YOU wanna do, not listen to the opinions of a hundred strangers on the internet! i wouldn't post any of it online if i was you, until you really want to and you've got something finished that you're happy with. especially not on watmm, anyway! lol. 'cos people will either slag it off or they'll steal your ideas and copy you if it's really good, or they'll just politely say well done and keep up the good work, if it's shite lol. this is probably one of the worst places i can think of that you could post your music while it's in progress and/or you're unestablished/unsigned to any label. just play it to your mates (if you have any outside of watmm.com) :) and you should know yourself whether it's any good or not.

for now just keep making your music on whatever you can. if you've had to sell all your hardware then use software til you can afford to buy some new hardware, if that's what you prefer to work with. this time will be a good time for you to check out new softwares and work with that for a while. never know, you might like it more this time. just remember, your idol RDJ didn't develop his own style and improve by posting his music on internet forums and inviting criticism from a bunch of dweebs like kaini. :)

we are of different opinions. if everyone was of the same opinion, the world would be boring.

edit: have you ever stopped to think that your idols, tBD and plaid, only produced such awesome shit because there were 2/3 people there to provide critique on each others output?

no artist exists in a vacuum.

you can work rebirth inside reason using rewire iirc, boxing day :)

personally i can't stand the lack of VST support, but a lot of people (including some very successful producers) like it.

But , i don't feel comfortable releasing music when I don't like it.

Perfectly good, man. You are the best judge of your own music. Fuck the haters etc etc, just make what you wanna hear/ are happy with.

But don't expect to be the next plaiphexchre overnight.

post some of your music

#1, you're an idiot, #2 critcism and feedback is generally vital to improving your skills and producing good art in any format, #3 read the rules

Archived