IGNORED

NPR's take on dubstep....

BobDobalina

I'm not dissing Dubstep. I just see House and DNB dominating 2010.Look into: deadmau5, Chemical Brothers, Underworld, Daft Punk, MGMT, Dj Shadow, Steve Aoki, and Booka Shade[/b]Details on some of these will follow in another post...."
lolzthe mixture of bands she chose...

It was like a joke, it's kind of sad and pathetic that she acted like an expert then posted multiple times. The "brostep" expert was all like "omgz u know so much!" It was hilarious, looked more like yahoo comment board than NPR...

...can't stand Benga, Skream...
:sad:

Yeah they've perhaps put out too much, but these guys made a plethora of essential and important releases, and their "wobbles" are what sounded great back then, before the mid-range spastic shit. I'd listen to their stuff in a club or excellent system anyday.

the two styles described in the article are really a false dichotomy. there are more styles than that. early dubstep was either 2-steppy and dancy or grimey. then came the more meditative stuff pioneered by people like benga, skream, and digital mystikz. since then there's been stuff crossing over with tech-house, plenty of stuff inspired by classic dub reggae, ragga-sounding tracks, and so on.

Right on. Someone also mentioned that Coki put out a very "brostep" like song called Spongebob awhile back, and he's a key figure in early dubstep. Caspa and Rusko are more experienced too, and they don't try to embrace the association with "brostep" though they don't deny it either...then you have people Burial, Shackleton, Martyn, etc who make comepletely different sounding stuff, but its all technically dubstep.

the two styles described in the article are really BULLSHIT

Yeah, to his defense, the author is explaining this to people who listen to NPR, which includes a lot of the older and less "hip." He mentioned the influences (garage especially) correctly, but should of said something like "the genre is increasingly diverse, but maintains a common template of around 140 bpm." His two styles were quite forced, mostly to make his point faster in a 4 minute radio segment.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest fiznuthian

whats up MJ!

so yeah what i was getting at with that post is that i find the deep, meditative and repetitive dubstep both more hypnotic and danceable.

all that stuff from tempa, DMZ, hotflush, etc.. but when i go out to shows i tend to flail and twist around maniacally in any way i haven't explored before.

people probably think its weird but i think its boring that they bob their heads and half-skank around the room too so i couldn't care any less.

moving to rhythm releases a LOT of happy-chems in the brain and feels real good.

pretty much everyone going to shows here in SWVA can't dance worth a shit, and it shows even more when someone plays house music.

unless its that new high BPM wobble electrohouse shit thats becoming popular they really lose it on more thoughtful sets.

i busted in a party once a frend told me to come to after work.. then proceeded to hijack their soundsystem playing trapez and traumshallplaten tunes.

noone was dancing and lil wayne was playing so i went to town.. it didn't take long before i had a group of ladies dancing with me.

as i looked around the room i saw dozens of bros standing in the corners and along the walls holding a sippin' beer in their hands and having a nervous laugh about it with whatever dudes were doing the same.

i had a feeling i was making them anxious/confused about what was going on but i was having too much fun to care.

the girls fucking loved it though and kept asking what drugs i had taken.

when i stopped finally some kid came up and asked if he could change the music.. so i let him plug his ipod to the input.

the dumbass put lil wayne on again.

shortly after all the girls at the party decided to go for a swim and because the party turned into a sausagefest everyone left.

:puke:

did you scored???

nope! party ended pretty quick once the lil wayne came back on.

had a lot of fun though

Guest nene multiple assgasms

Right on. Someone also mentioned that Coki put out a very "brostep" like song called Spongebob awhile back, and he's a key figure in early dubstep.

a lot of the brostep stuff seems like a caricature of coki's wobbles. spongebob for me was coki taking it to its logical conclusion, but people made the mistake of trying to take it further, and it just sounds retarded.

Right on. Someone also mentioned that Coki put out a very "brostep" like song called Spongebob awhile back, and he's a key figure in early dubstep.

a lot of the brostep stuff seems like a caricature of coki's wobbles. spongebob for me was coki taking it to its logical conclusion, but people made the mistake of trying to take it further, and it just sounds retarded.

Yeah that was a very exciting track when it came out and it's aged well because the sounds were not just novel, effort and time was put into it. The quality is so much better than the imitators.

Guest Lube Saibot

...can't stand Benga, Skream...

:sad:

Well, i dunno man, I didn't have a very orthodox exposure to dubstep, was kind of a latecomer to it, so probably the first few tunes i ever heard were 16bit's "Chainsaw Calligraphy", Borgore's "Guided Relaxation Dub", Burial's "Gutted", and Rusko's "Cockney Thug".

So I didn't follow that organic progression starting with garage and moving through El-B, Tempa stuff, Plastician, through Kode9 and Hyperdub, through Benga/Rusko/Caspa/Joker/Skream/Coki, through to current times. It was kind of backwards, and through these backwards lens Benga and Skream just seem like the worst offenders, like a version of brostep who hadn't even developed enough to get into proper bass gymnastics yet. I mean, i was fun to have just one relentless locked-rate wobble all throughout on Rusko's "Cockney Thug", but that's really something that can only work once. And what Bega and Skream are doing now, with Magnetic Man... fucking disgraceful. Wtf is that, 140 halfstep Tiesto trance? GTFO.

To me the logical extremes of plain brostep, in terms of aggro, were reached by Borgore "Guided Relaxation Dub", 16bit's remix of Noisia's "Machine Gun", Excision's remix of Noisia's "No Holds Barred" feat. Foreign Beggars, Akira Kiteshi's remix of Hexstatic's "Gammera", Apex's VIP edit of of "Nowhere To Run (DatsiK & Excision) and a couple of other tracks. And this mere handful of tracks is really the only ones that have any merit to them. I mean, I will always enjoy these. For me, it pushes the same buttons that really few quality extreme metal acts push for me. Really good sound design on the bass, massive and straightforward production, very spastic rhythmic fuckery... huge, obnoxious, and straight to the point. I like that. This narrow extreme of brostep is like the tiny center of the Venn diagram where everything falls into place, really. If all brostep sounded like this, it would have a very different demographic, a bit less success, and a whole lot more credibility.

But it doesn't... Most of the time, it falls somewhere between British subby deep proto-wobble and the above paragons, being, as a result, both OVER-THE-TOP and UNDERPRODUCED (which doesn't really go hand in hand). Even most of the other stuff from the very artists above is the usual sub-par boring wob-wob-wu-wu-wu-wu-wu-wu-wob-wob-(2 beat pause while some percussion or non-bass wobbly thing, or another bass happens)-(repeat). And then there's awful ragga skanks and rap samples and really :facepalm:cliche samples from Fight Club and Guy Ritchie movies and Transformers, forced wiggerism and forced misogyny, cheesy melodic bits - sometimes even in tracks that would otherwise be really good without all this extraneous corny bullshit. And it gets immensely frustrating, but then you try to go against your better judgement and not completely write it off just yet. And then you go to a gig, and it's only virgins with emo bangs and trucker hats yelling about dildos, struggling to come up with the 4540337th way of saying a bass or drop is "filthy" and generally just being the scum of the earth. And these virgins.... they don't really like the really aggro stuff, even from the artists they enjoy. They like the more "balla" stuff with "swagga", i.e. the over-the-top + underproduced shit.

And then for a second you think, oh, so like, they like more "commercial" stuff, as it where. Stuff, like, Rusko's "OMG", stuff that bridges the gap between big room stuff and dubstep but doesn't quite go full-on Magnetic Man (in somewhat enjoyed that album, mostly just because of the track "Raver's Special"). But... no, it's not that, that's too "pop" for them. But they LIKE Magnetic Man... and then they like... bar 9, and banana something, caspa, cookie monsta (*barf*), and the "anthem" ones from borgore (i.e. the ones where he raps badly about remedial macho crap and does bad g-funk hooks with shitty presets).

This last one is particularly depressing, first time i heard "guided relaxation dub", i went nuts, i thought it would be the onset of this really clinical, really heavy, really "metal" wave of dubstep that would be made by longhaired dudes who don't give a fuck. Instead, it quickly fell on its ass and reverted back to the old habits, and i discovered it's made by stupid bros who tweet about "tings".

Last fucking nail in the fucking proverbial fucking coffin. Fuck.

I suppose I'll always have Noisia and Spor, thank Christ.

And thank heavens for Loops Haunt, Eskmo and Rudi Zyglado.

just listened some nero dubstep tracks, and it reminded me that, there's been this stuff playin on the tv, it's kinda dubstep but it sounds like MDMA step or something, were it gets all nostalgic and friendly, what's that step called???

this is what i meant

[youtubehd]TAHHW9YYpBo[/youtubehd]

but i've watched another one i can't recall right now

well, to be honest i think this thread is full of bullshit, contradicted statements all over the place, i can't seem to understand how some dubstep stuff is considered amazingly good and at the same time completely identical tracks are dissed like hell, haters gonna hate after all...

it's pretty obvious the presumptuous on most sentences that have been posted.

this brings to mind all the fuss when nu-metal came out, and emo and whatever, there's good bands making good music apart from the attributed genre... some people tend to hate on most stuff when it gets "commercial", and that i get but, dissing on something that as the same or more value just because it's overrated, just sounds snobbish and jealous...

but i guess it's always been that way...

another example are fans of "old" metal, most of them can't stand all the nu shit that's coming out, although most of the nu stuff simply takes a crap on the old days in every manner... and why?? because the guys who sing it don't do drugs and take baths and dress like gays or hipsters... :facepalm:

what it comes down to for me is does this dubstep track have the elements of dubstep that make it cool? for me the worst parts of dubstep are the wobbles, the aggro distorto effects, the drum presets (like schackeltons excessive use of ROMPLER bongo drums) , the voice samples, the lack of any dub whatsoever.

What makes a dubstep track good mostly comes down to the rythms, are they creative and catchy? Atmosphere is also very important, sometimes a dubstep track is nothing but a creepy atmosphere. Almost none of the other elements for me matter, in fact they usually almost always diminish the originality and impact of a dubstep track.

A lot of the 'accomplished' dubstepish artists listed in this thread that go above and beyond the genre still imo are a very trapped in some of the cookie cutter aspects of dubstep, some of them are just better in making it more shiny, glitchy and dense but the elemental backbone of it is still the same.

what it comes down to for me is does this dubstep track have the elements of dubstep that make it cool? for me the worst parts of dubstep are the wobbles, the aggro distorto effects, the drum presets (like schackeltons excessive use of ROMPLER bongo drums) , the voice samples, the lack of any dub whatsoever.

What makes a dubstep track good mostly comes down to the rythms, are they creative and catchy? Atmosphere is also very important, sometimes a dubstep track is nothing but a creepy atmosphere. Almost none of the other elements for me matter, in fact they usually almost always diminish the originality and impact of a dubstep track.

A lot of the 'accomplished' dubstepish artists listed in this thread that go above and beyond the genre still imo are a very trapped in some of the cookie cutter aspects of dubstep, some of them are just better in making it more shiny, glitchy and dense but the elemental backbone of it is still the same.

yeah, subjective...

i feel ya, but there's tons of tracks who lack the later, and yet they're considered richer, and that's not mandatorily true...

Guest Lube Saibot

On that note, screw the "dub" in dubstep, if that were the only problem we'd have an almost perfect genre imo. I mean, yeah, it's retarded that it's in the name without being the so-called game but really, the fact that bro stuff is devoid of ragga, skanks, and tubby delays is more a quality than anything else. Not that i'm opposed to dub but give it a fucking rest already...

On that note, screw the "dub" in dubstep, if that were the only problem we'd have an almost perfect genre imo. I mean, yeah, it's retarded that it's in the name without being the so-called game but really, the fact that bro stuff is devoid of ragga, skanks, and tubby delays is more a quality than anything else. Not that i'm opposed to dub but give it a fucking rest already...

i refute it thus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVpjPuzlvus

and basically a lot of the DMZ catalogue

Guest Lube Saibot

i refute it thus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVpjPuzlvus

and basically a lot of the DMZ catalogue

:wtf:

yeah, not feeling that at all, sorry. :trashbear:

i'm not talking about the bells and whistles of dub here, dub was a deeply influential music genre, that if it were not for dub we might not even have hip hop or modern electronic music. for example i feel like most dub drum patterns and timings are too nuanced for most dubstep musicians to even comprehend. I'm not saying that this makes their output bad, i'm just stating a probability.

and i also don't think the dubstep/dub fusion has really been done much at all by anyone who's struck the right balance. I can count on both hands the amount of truly dubby dubstep albums out there.

Guest Lube Saibot

burial, clubroot, applebim, eleven tigers, XI, F, shackleton, untold, RSD, Zomby, actually most of the Hemlock, Hyperdub, Lo Dubs and Night Slugs rosters...

plenty of "dubby" artists, in that sense...

anyways, coming back to the prevalent topic -> since yesterday I've remembered that I'd discovered the chemo to the cancer that is brostep:

downliner's sekt *faints*

burial, clubroot, applebim, eleven tigers, XI, F, shackleton, untold, RSD, Zomby, actually most of the Hemlock, Hyperdub, Lo Dubs and Night Slugs rosters...

plenty of "dubby" artists, in that sense...

anyways, coming back to the prevalent topic -> since yesterday I've remembered that I'd discovered the chemo to the cancer that is brostep:

downliner's sekt *faints*

i guess i have a different ideal of dub influenced dubstep, because i would only really agree 3 of those artists/mentions have achieved this

whats up MJ!

so yeah what i was getting at with that post is that i find the deep, meditative and repetitive dubstep both more hypnotic and danceable.

all that stuff from tempa, DMZ, hotflush, etc.. but when i go out to shows i tend to flail and twist around maniacally in any way i haven't explored before.

people probably think its weird but i think its boring that they bob their heads and half-skank around the room too so i couldn't care any less.

moving to rhythm releases a LOT of happy-chems in the brain and feels real good.

pretty much everyone going to shows here in SWVA can't dance worth a shit, and it shows even more when someone plays house music.

unless its that new high BPM wobble electrohouse shit thats becoming popular they really lose it on more thoughtful sets.

i busted in a party once a frend told me to come to after work.. then proceeded to hijack their soundsystem playing trapez and traumshallplaten tunes.

noone was dancing and lil wayne was playing so i went to town.. it didn't take long before i had a group of ladies dancing with me.

as i looked around the room i saw dozens of bros standing in the corners and along the walls holding a sippin' beer in their hands and having a nervous laugh about it with whatever dudes were doing the same.

i had a feeling i was making them anxious/confused about what was going on but i was having too much fun to care.

the girls fucking loved it though and kept asking what drugs i had taken.

when i stopped finally some kid came up and asked if he could change the music.. so i let him plug his ipod to the input.

the dumbass put lil wayne on again.

shortly after all the girls at the party decided to go for a swim and because the party turned into a sausagefest everyone left.

:puke:

Sounds like every party I ever go to here in the NC foothills. I'm probably not even two hours from you. Of course the girls loved it, those bro dudes they're stuck with never do shit but sit on their ass and sip beer at every party. It's boring as hell.

Guest dankbudz

hah.... first time hearing of brostep...

I lived in U.S. (Virginia) for 4 years and I started to listen to dubstep when it first started coming out. I'd be bumping that shit in my car n blazin blunts. It was good and nobody have ever heard of such music before. Now Im backl at Croatia and dubstep is exploding into bro-step all the kids that I used to go to high school with are at college and posting dubstep on facebook n shit. It was pissing me off that nobody knew what it was when i was listening to it and now its growing into trend. But I dont worry about their gay ass trends I will always love dubstep... as long as it stays pure

.... even though I'm predicting a lot of bullshit ass mainstream dubstep comming soon... wait till mtv picks up on that shit thats when it becomes gay

I fuckz with outlook sickest dubstep festival AND its in ma country

Archived