IGNORED

NPR's take on dubstep....

BobDobalina

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont understand how can brostep do this !!! there ruining a deep profound meaningful music like dubstep !!!!! (probably the most profound since idm)

Fucking LOL

I love all forms of dubstep, if brostep is pop it's the most tolerable kind of pop I've ever heard. The tunes aren't all bubble-gum and chords and singing, they're retarded and people are digging them, that's a great thing.

I heard this on my morning commute then made the mistake of reading the article comments later. So much nonsense written I felt compelled to respond to some of it.

Some examples :facepalm::

"Cynthia Bayne (CyprZZ) wrote:

In my opinion, Dubstep is not a genre that meets real-world music needs. You could listen to this at a party, but it doesn't suit everyday life such as driving around, working, hanging out, and so on. This is suited for parties with drugs and drinking. On the other hand, some people's life beat follows along with this, more power to you!

I'm not dissing Dubstep. I just see House and DNB dominating 2010.

Look into: deadmau5, Chemical Brothers, Underworld, Daft Punk, MGMT, Dj Shadow, Steve Aoki, and Booka Shade

Details on some of these will follow in another post...."

and this:

"Nicholas Concklin (NicholasJamesConcklin) wrote:

'Many electronic-music purists call this sound "bro-step," for the fraternity-brother types drawn to it.'

^ This is false. It's called "Bro"step because of the overly aggressive and therefore masculine nature of the music. Not because of the crowd it draws. Brostep existed far before fraternity brothers knew of this music. The original pioneers of Brostep can better be related to the ego-centric thug-like characters from the urban scene. And indeed Brostep does embody the "I'm the biggest & the baddest" thug mentality.

@Adam B - 97% of Brostep (and other Dubstep) is 140bpm. And it's more danceable because it doesn't utilize as much negative space as more traditional & experimental dubstep. And Brostep does have subbass but the focus is on the mid bass. Where as dubstep proper has minimal if no mid bass and all focus on the sub bass. If Brostep didn't have subbass it wouldn't be the draw it is on concert-grade systems."

^Because the internet makes everyone a musicologist! :emotawesomepm9:

ATOP's take on dubstep: http://percussionlab.com/sets/atop/neon_winter_mix

Arkist – Until Next Time

Kontext – Falling To Weightlessness

A Made Up Sound – Demons

Manaboo – Delinquent

Von D & Riskotheque – Like A Bird

Asusu – No Kya (F rmx)

James Blake – Footnotes

Mount Kimbie – Field

DFRNT - Winter

Geiom – Sirius Star

Kossak – Brookers Bible

Resketch – Ghosts

Simon/Off – On-Arrette Tour

Commix – How You Gonna Feel (Pangaea rmx)

DJ Madd – Numbers VIP

Headhunter – Chasing Dragons

Neat – A Light I Know

Gravious – Subterfuge

Silkie – Wonder

Scuba – So You Think You’re Special (Joe rmx)

Helixir – The Big Wheel

Untold – No One Likes A Smart-Arse

Guest fiznuthian

Arkist – Until Next Time

A Made Up Sound – Demons

Manaboo – Delinquent

Asusu – No Kya (F rmx)

James Blake – Footnotes

Mount Kimbie – Field

DFRNT - Winter

Geiom – Sirius Star

Kossak – Brookers Bible

Resketch – Ghosts

DJ Madd – Numbers VIP

Neat – A Light I Know

Gravious – Subterfuge

Silkie – Wonder

Helixir – The Big Wheel

obviously NOT a BRO

I'm not dissing Dubstep. I just see House and DNB dominating 2010.

Look into: deadmau5, Chemical Brothers, Underworld, Daft Punk, MGMT, Dj Shadow, Steve Aoki, and Booka Shade[/b]

Details on some of these will follow in another post...."

lolz

the mixture of bands she chose...

Guest Lube Saibot

IMO brostep can be done well. I was introduced to it personally through borgore and can't say I didn't bang my head to it a lil bit. I still enjoy one or two tracks from Excision, one or two by Borgore, one or two by Rusko, one or two by 16bit. And that's about it, can't stand Benga, Skream, Nero, Flux Pavilion, Datsik, etc.... especially Skrillex... i mean FOR FUCK'S SAKE man he is the fucking ex-vocalist of a really bad and really gay SCREAMO BAND, wtf did you expect. and Bassnectar... that guy is like... nu-metal made flesh again in bass music.

And then there's appropriators of the aesthetic who do it exceptionally well, and with some consistent amount of added thought... Akira Kiteshi, Hecq's dubstep stuff, Ajapai, Subvert... Huge, dark, nasty explosive shit.

And yeah, the crowd is offputting. It's offputting even here, in fucking ROMANIA, who is normally so far-removed from the rest of the world that i at least don't have to put up with fucking stereotypes. But, of course, brostep (mostly Borgore) took the metalcore-rehab 12-to-16yos by storm, and wouldn't you know it, when he played here last march, i was WAAAY in the back and could perfectly see all the way to the front over the heads of an ARMY OF TWEENS, wherein the prevalent demographic of pubescent virgin girls who hadn't grown tits or pubes yet and didn't know what a dick looks like SCREAMED ALONG TO "i'm a nympho i'm a nympho i love my mom my dad and my dildo".

BITCH, YOU AIN'T HAD YOUR FIRST PERIOD YET!

It's really, really hard to try to be fair and give the genre any props at all after that.

just listened some nero dubstep tracks, and it reminded me that, there's been this stuff playin on the tv, it's kinda dubstep but it sounds like MDMA step or something, were it gets all nostalgic and friendly, what's that step called???

Guest Lube Saibot

IMO brostep can be done well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBeIkFNK5f4

:music:

i thoroughly agree

edit: i don't even associate egyptrixx with all that shit, in my mind, they're from a whole different class altogether

girl unit too, from that label, yummy

edit edit: night slugs pretty much proves that you can do party-oriented dubstep/bass music without it being thuggy/retarded

Honestly, the non-aggressive, chill-in-your-room-and-smoke-pot-or-whatever side of dubstep often bores me. I generally prefer the clubby dubstep (clubstep?). I'm generally an aggressive music kinda guy though.

That being said, I love me some Boxcutter and can't stand Bassnectar.

Clubstep is for the club though. You're supposed to get the fuck down, not get hypnotized by it. I'd be kinda pissed if I were at a club and someone put on Boxcutter instead of Ajapai. Dance music is for dancing.

It's a lot like the whole breakdown-oriented side of metalcore and hardcore. It's aggressive rocking-out shit made for getting the fuck down, not chilling in your room feeling special because the guitar parts twiddle your knob.

I guess the chill stuff is cool to encounter if you just want to enjoy some really fluid movement. Like I said though, I've got a soft spot deep down for aggressive stuff.

Edit: (everything Lube said)

Guest nene multiple assgasms

...can't stand Benga, Skream...

:sad:

...wherein the prevalent demographic of pubescent virgin girls who hadn't grown tits or pubes yet and didn't know what a dick looks like SCREAMED ALONG TO "i'm a nympho i'm a nympho i love my mom my dad and my dildo".

BITCH, YOU AIN'T HAD YOUR FIRST PERIOD YET!

:pedobear:

Guest nene multiple assgasms

the two styles described in the article are really a false dichotomy. there are more styles than that. early dubstep was either 2-steppy and dancy or grimey. then came the more meditative stuff pioneered by people like benga, skream, and digital mystikz. since then there's been stuff crossing over with tech-house, plenty of stuff inspired by classic dub reggae, ragga-sounding tracks, and so on.

Guest fiznuthian

whats up MJ!

so yeah what i was getting at with that post is that i find the deep, meditative and repetitive dubstep both more hypnotic and danceable.

all that stuff from tempa, DMZ, hotflush, etc.. but when i go out to shows i tend to flail and twist around maniacally in any way i haven't explored before.

people probably think its weird but i think its boring that they bob their heads and half-skank around the room too so i couldn't care any less.

moving to rhythm releases a LOT of happy-chems in the brain and feels real good.

pretty much everyone going to shows here in SWVA can't dance worth a shit, and it shows even more when someone plays house music.

unless its that new high BPM wobble electrohouse shit thats becoming popular they really lose it on more thoughtful sets.

i busted in a party once a frend told me to come to after work.. then proceeded to hijack their soundsystem playing trapez and traumshallplaten tunes.

noone was dancing and lil wayne was playing so i went to town.. it didn't take long before i had a group of ladies dancing with me.

as i looked around the room i saw dozens of bros standing in the corners and along the walls holding a sippin' beer in their hands and having a nervous laugh about it with whatever dudes were doing the same.

i had a feeling i was making them anxious/confused about what was going on but i was having too much fun to care.

the girls fucking loved it though and kept asking what drugs i had taken.

when i stopped finally some kid came up and asked if he could change the music.. so i let him plug his ipod to the input.

the dumbass put lil wayne on again.

shortly after all the girls at the party decided to go for a swim and because the party turned into a sausagefest everyone left.

:puke:

Arkist – Until Next Time

A Made Up Sound – Demons

Manaboo – Delinquent

Asusu – No Kya (F rmx)

James Blake – Footnotes

Mount Kimbie – Field

DFRNT - Winter

Geiom – Sirius Star

Kossak – Brookers Bible

Resketch – Ghosts

DJ Madd – Numbers VIP

Neat – A Light I Know

Gravious – Subterfuge

Silkie – Wonder

Helixir – The Big Wheel

obviously NOT a BRO

Snobstep. Seriously though, this tracklist looks awesome, definitely give this a listen.

whats up MJ!

so yeah what i was getting at with that post is that i find the deep, meditative and repetitive dubstep both more hypnotic and danceable.

all that stuff from tempa, DMZ, hotflush, etc.. but when i go out to shows i tend to flail and twist around maniacally in any way i haven't explored before.

people probably think its weird but i think its boring that they bob their heads and half-skank around the room too so i couldn't care any less.

moving to rhythm releases a LOT of happy-chems in the brain and feels real good.

pretty much everyone going to shows here in SWVA can't dance worth a shit, and it shows even more when someone plays house music.

unless its that new high BPM wobble electrohouse shit thats becoming popular they really lose it on more thoughtful sets.

i busted in a party once a frend told me to come to after work.. then proceeded to hijack their soundsystem playing trapez and traumshallplaten tunes.

noone was dancing and lil wayne was playing so i went to town.. it didn't take long before i had a group of ladies dancing with me.

as i looked around the room i saw dozens of bros standing in the corners and along the walls holding a sippin' beer in their hands and having a nervous laugh about it with whatever dudes were doing the same.

i had a feeling i was making them anxious/confused about what was going on but i was having too much fun to care.

the girls fucking loved it though and kept asking what drugs i had taken.

when i stopped finally some kid came up and asked if he could change the music.. so i let him plug his ipod to the input.

the dumbass put lil wayne on again.

shortly after all the girls at the party decided to go for a swim and because the party turned into a sausagefest everyone left.

:puke:

did you scored???

Archived