IGNORED

NPR's take on dubstep....

BobDobalina

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

back to marijuana really quick, it's pretty obvious out here in the SF bay at least that the reason people can finance these shows so regularly is not because of high attendance and bar tabs (although that plays a big role) it's primarily from large scale marijuana growing operations. the 'pot mafia' if you will. my opinion is the scene needs less pot and more lsd

The purpose of dubstep's existence was to get away from other genre's cranking the knob to 11, trying to make the biggest baddest track and slamming the tune until the waveform looks like Frankenstein's fucking head. Music that doesn't try so hard to move mountains, but does so anyway by not trying so hard.

Brostep has certainly become the majority. Catching on with younger ppl like wildfire. One thing I like about this, is that it's let authentic dubstep remain virtually unmolested. You can completely blindside people who are used to entire nights of brostep with a proper dubstep set that isn't just minimal 140bpm tunes with alot of low end.

A small % of music is being released by quality producers on labels like Acroplane, Planet-Mu, TwentyTwelve, Mother's Against Noise that does NOT color within the lines of anything described in that NPR article. Music that convinces me that dubstep is still a creative melting pot of genres where experimentation is encouraged and current fads are ignored. I see this stuff dongslap people upside the head with ferocious intent when I play it on the dancefloor. Comes completely out of left field and takes people by surprise, and THAT imo is what it's all about.

Guest fiznuthian

The purpose of dubstep's existence was to get away from other genre's cranking the knob to 11, trying to make the biggest baddest track and slamming the tune until the waveform looks like Frankenstein's fucking head. Music that doesn't try so hard to move mountains, but does so anyway by not trying so hard.

Brostep has certainly become the majority. Catching on with younger ppl like wildfire. One thing I like about this, is that it's let authentic dubstep remain virtually unmolested. You can completely blindside people who are used to entire nights of brostep with a proper dubstep set that isn't just minimal 140bpm tunes with alot of low end.

A small % of music is being released by quality producers on labels like Acroplane, Planet-Mu, TwentyTwelve, Mother's Against Noise that does NOT color within the lines of anything described in that NPR article. Music that convinces me that dubstep is still a creative melting pot of genres where experimentation is encouraged and current fads are ignored. I see this stuff dongslap people upside the head with ferocious intent when I play it on the dancefloor. Comes completely out of left field and takes people by surprise, and THAT imo is what it's all about.

i'm really glad that the people you suprise with quality dubstep actually like it!

where are you from? i don't think it would work so well here..

i have tried introducing brostep fanatics to a large variety of what i consider quality dubstep as subtly as i can

and they'll still play the same boregore/datsik/excision shit on repeat every day..

p-mu has some great stuff.. vex'd still fucking rules

Guest nene multiple assgasms

I don't mind some aggressive brosteppish stuff within the context of a diverse set e.g. on n-type's dubstep allstars vol.05, but I don't see how people listen to entire sets of the stuff.

Guest fiznuthian

I don't mind some aggressive brosteppish stuff within the context of a diverse set e.g. on n-type's dubstep allstars vol.05, but I don't see how people listen to entire sets of the stuff.

lol but dubstep allstars 5 is great dubstep.

but this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJYfOXe5zLc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRdMHbzjrlU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ylVRGttEW4&feature=fvst

FUCKING AWFUL

and then there's this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ-JYmh_0mY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCm1BEgQTW8

i suppose they both share a masculine vibe..

brostep doesn't have any cerebral qualities,

i can't get past the gimmicky sawtooths and bass drops

the latter chills me out in headspace while the former makes me feel like misguided youth :rolleyes:

it actually scares me how accurately this thread describes many of my friends. i think the coke/ecstasy thing is definitely more to blame than weed. when you see people smoke an 8th a day and get more irritable than high it's probably because they're in the midst of a perpetual comedown from various stimulants and psychedelics.

Guest fiznuthian

i couldn't count on 100 hands how many people i have met at local shows

that i remember from high school as grade A/B students who i

assumed would be done with college by now and far from this place in VA.

they'd either be rolling and tripping their minds out

or i'd accidentally walk in on them in a bathroom snorting

massive lines off the sink with their buddies who coincidentally are

also people i remember distinctly and differently from high school.

and i left high school 6 years ago..

quite possibly the greatest sales pitch ever for

why i need to save my money, finish my degree,

then find a way to work for money doing things i enjoy

while enjoying life without incessant drug abuse.

not saying i won't enjoy drugs ever again,

but the party/drug lifestyle seems to rob people

of real friends and life's greater pleasures.

but once again i'm not sure if it's southwest virginia that does this to people

or if its different somewhere other than here.

the suburban townie life is slow and alienating, and stagnates the higher facilities of the mind imo.

but wtf do i know, i have a mental disorder and am entirely socially inept so its probably just me who has issues.

i'm really glad that the people you suprise with quality dubstep actually like it!

where are you from? i don't think it would work so well here..

i have tried introducing brostep fanatics to a large variety of what i consider quality dubstep as subtly as i can

and they'll still play the same boregore/datsik/excision shit on repeat every day..

p-mu has some great stuff.. vex'd still fucking rules

Probably depends on the crowd I would assume. I've noticed that going into the deep meditative sounds hardly win over ppl that would rather hear Datsik. You kinda have to bridge the gap for them w/ something closer to sounds you hear guys like Starkey and DJG bringing to the table. I've never had the chance to play at an all dubstep night where it was all brostep. I'm not sure how that would go, but I would be proud to bring a diff sort of flag into battle for that one. I try to get ppl eating out of my hand a lil bit and then put some habaneros into the food and see if they still eat. I live in New England btw. Maine to be exact. :)

i dont understand how can brostep do this !!! there ruining a deep profound meaningful music like dubstep !!!!! (probably the most profound since idm)

i dont understand how can brostep do this !!! there ruining a deep profound meaningful music like dubstep !!!!! (probably the most profound since idm)

Sup nailed it.

:sup:

Sup nailed it.

:sup:

i was doing sarcasm btw

Archived