IGNORED

Queensland, Australia - FLOODS

jeremymacgregor87

I just got back to Brisbane a few days ago and apparently it's been raining for over two straight months.

My old town (Rockhampton) is completely fucked. They say it's the worst flooding the country's ever seen.

I imagine my house will probably flood in the next few days. such is life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Do0LvsdXIU&NR=1

where does the water come from

the sky,

when they said on saturday that by thursday there was a predicted 400 millimetres, it didn't seem real. This place is usually so dry. And if you can then imagine that type of rainfall over a couple of months. Not to mention it being the wettest year for an hundred years. You can see that the grounds going to be waterlogged.

The brisbane dams are all near full and have been releasing for reasons of safety for a while now. So i don't think that we'll have a major flood. Just localized events like that in toowoomba.

why is it so fast?

incline of the landscape, toowoomba's pretty hilly.

Yeah, it;s gotten pretty serious in Brisbane in the last few hours; awaiting the chaos.

How are all the WATTUM Australian's fairing? I'm in a pretty low spot next to a golf course so I'm pooping myself a little

i'm about to get in the car and go house hunting, nothing is messing up my plans, i need somewhere to live, as we've only got until next tues.

my best to all of the watmm Aussies...

may your powerful Sun shine down and evaporate all of the troublesome floods!

you guys are tough, just push all of the water back out to sea!

i've gotta drive to work tonight, and i work in the CBD. Hopefully they haven't blocked any roads on the higher ground route that i've planned. They have predicted that the rains will be easing into tomorrow. So the only worry is for people in the path of the rising floodwaters of the brisbane river.

i had to fuck around getting home from work today, first of all to avoid streets blocked by flood tourists, then to avoid an highway just blocked cause the bridge was out, then to avoid roads blocked by the flood itself. man people were driving like dicks down these tiny arsed streets today. It's ok when they're in tiny cars, but when someone doesn't want to leave some room in the middle of the road, and they're in a giant ute doiung 1.5xs the speed limit it gets kinda hairy.

fucking ute drivers, they'd be the first i'd gas.

Guest Greg Reason

I'm doing alright but a lot of my friends are stranded seeing as their suburbs have now become islands. Their power is off and they're basically just sitting there waiting for the water to go down. Apparently tomorrow is going to be the worst of it.

Some pretty intense shit going on inner city... Won't mean anything much to people who are unfamiliar with Brisbane but the river has risen so much that it's starting to submerge the cultural centre... fucking full on.

heh, ;-] .. It's all good, the only thing that annoys me is that where i work is probably under water right now, and that means i'm out of work for a bit. Other than that, i have all my possessions and my brother and my guitar (it's not a possession it lives it's own life heh (soz 30 hours awake nao)) , soe its olL guud ...

It has hit me how serious this is though, we were in the process of moving and were to sign a lease today. But that has been pushed back into next week (by the new real estate agent 'due to floods') so i had to ring the property manager for my current place to beg to be allowed to stay put for an extra week. Which should be fine. But then on the moving our qit and cleaning the existing house front i wonder how easy it will be to procure any sort of moving van, or get hold of an house cleaner as per the rental agreement, which was of course written for dryer times.

lolz. eneewae. i tried to watch a movie 'machete' today as a sleepee time distraction, but got less than intrested, so went back to the news, and bundaberg rum and pepsi.

something that annoys me is that when i press my mobile into action and out of screen saver mode, it denies me access to the network unless of course i have an 'emergency' !! Now to me this is a cruel joke, here we are being told not to waste precious mobile bandwidth which is obviously being blocked by a plethora of that anathema, the "Are you ok" call. Which has found an unobstructed avenue in emanating from the bladder of every half arsed mong citizen with little to no clue, other than cliché and boredom, with which to drive their interpersonal sentiment. Hence the phone lines being clogged by the debris of a flood of bullshit.

And yet a pure citizen such as myself, one who next to never calls a soul, let alone a living breathing individual with an actual phone number. Someone whom it would be lucky to find sending 3-4 calls and texts a month. Is somehow being chastised by the service upon which he helps subsidize whilst regularly expecting so little in return.

wot xe fuk .. ie meen reelee .. yue fuking gits ..

I just wanted to call my mate mat who is without power, to tell him that he could if he could make the drive, come and sleep at our place tonight.

ar welL wotevfnor ...

Bottom floor is fucked. I probably won't be able to get back in there and clean out the shitsludge for about a week, at least. I agree delet.. about the calls, denying service vs people stopping calling their mates to say "wow, this is A FLOOD" is a bit ridiculous. I'm just pissed off that a mate is in north Brisbane with 2 generators, and he's just there dicking around on the couch with his xbox and loltube. I'd like electricity NOW

Watching the water slowly move up the street, 10m from my house, was fucking miserable.

This reminds me of the crazy Freakreation Festival 2008 in NSW, Australia. The location essentially became an island inaccessible by land for three days when the surrounding river flooded. Best part is the party continued on for three days with helicopters dropping in food and supplies for the stranded ravers.

Pics from the disaster zone and a

of the announcement declaring the festival a natural disaster area.

=)

edit - sorry to hear about your place verticalhold..

Archived