IGNORED

Moving to L.A.

J3FF3R00

It's my wife's idea.

I'm also up for a change after living in NYC for 12 years.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you had any tips on doing a cross-continental move?

We're thinking of loading up a truck with all of our earthly possessions and driving out there. I know most truck rental places give you 10 days and 3400 miles for the trip for $1500-$1800.

I would just ship everything if I didn't have so much fragile gear.

I also know very little about LA. Anyone have any tips on neighborhoods, cars, etc?

what are you planning to do out there? the first time i lived in l.a. around 2003 to 2007 things went well for us. then we moved to florida around summer of 2007 and things went awesome out there. then we came back to cali summer of 2009 and everthing has been crap since.

what are you planning to do out there? the first time i lived in l.a. around 2003 to 2007 things went well for us. then we moved to florida around summer of 2007 and things went awesome out there. then we came back to cali summer of 2009 and everthing has been crap since.

Video work. I also plan to keep some work contacts in NYC.

freelance? as far as where to move in L.A., I wouldn't really know what to tell you because even the seedy areas are expensive. my favorite town in L.A. is pasadena. i lived there from 03 to 07 and i loved it. i recently lived in northridge and i hated it there (about 15 miles north of dtla. I don't live in the city anymore. we moved way inland to murrieta, ca. I still have my contacts and label mates in los angeles and other ties, but i'm trying to make new ties here with my freelance graphic design biz. i'm also trying to look for a job out here which has become an impossible task since the only places i've interviewed at didn't hire me because I have too much experience and they went with people with little to no experience so they don't have to pay them as much.

i'd say find a place to live close to where you're going to work so that you can either use transit, walk, or bike to avoid the horrible L.A. traffic. My experience with Los Angeles is that I like it better when I don't live there.

freelance?

yeah.

Technically, I don't think it matters where I live. I guess, since I'm used to NYC, it would be nice if there was cafe or something within walking distance. That sort of thing. My lady is an actress, so she wouldn't want to be too far from the action, I guess.

I just don't want to be in the ghetto. Anywhere near anything arts/cultural related is def a plus.

The living out there (rent, etc) is also going to be cheaper than NY. That is a given.

This feature might come in handy to get to know the neighborhoods: http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/neighborhoods/

Thanks for this ! :emotawesomepm9:

If anyone has any more "resourcey" things like this, it's totally what I'm looking for!

Places like Burbank or Glendale are ok, cheapish, and not too far from Hollywood/Downtown biz centers; but Glendale is 97% Armenian so you might have to wear lots of gaudy jewelry and Affliction shirts to fit in.

freelance?

The living out there (rent, etc) is also going to be cheaper than NY. That is a given.

well i'm not completely sure you can say that. CA is fucked and the taxes & gas are higher. Jobs are harder to find. i mean just take a look.

http://www.job-search-engine.com/press/Juju-Releases-Job-Search-Difficulty-Index-for-Major-Cities-December-2010

i'm not here to douse your dreams, but really i'd stick w/ east coast. least thats what i'd like to plan for.

Glendale is 97% Armenian so you might have to wear lots of gaudy jewelry and Affliction shirts to fit in.

Oh my God the Armenians! I can't say that I miss them... because i don't!

lol! It's funny because it's true! There is a big community in Glendale. Great shopping there.

jefferoo, if you're used to living in NY, I don't think the transition to L.A. would be too much of a shock. And if you're into video and she's an actress, I can't think of a better spot. I'd recommend looking into areas like Echo Park, Silverlake, or Los Feliz. You're just a hop and a skip from Hollywood and downtown, there are plenty of neighborhoods with little clusters of cafes and bars. There are heaps of music spaces of course but 2 venues that come to mind that bring in quality (not mainstream) acts on a semi regular basis would be Spaceland and the Echoplex. I wish I lived within walking distance of either of those, especially Spaceland. And of course there is Dodger stadium :-) 30 mins drive can get you to the beaches Venice / Santa Monica Pier, (and Pacific is so much warmer than Atlantic water!) It's possible to get there by bus too but it will take much longer. There are several video production gear/supply stores in Burbank and Hollywood, some which hold workshops and stuff which could be good for networking. And there are tons of bands trying to "make it" that need someone to shoot videos for them as well.

Like anywhere it has its downsides. Traffic, homelessness, smoggy air in some places, etc. but I can't imagine being from NY you are any stranger to these things. Just steer clear of the bad spots... run specific neighborhoods by me or any other local watmmers and we'll tell you thumbs up or thumbs down haha.

I actually really love living here. There are plenty of art galleries, museums, parks, clubs, farmers markets, hiking trails, community events etc. to keep you interested for a long time. And if you feel like venturing out of the city, drive 1.5 hrs up the coast to Ventura county or Santa Barbara for a downtempo beachy atmosphere, or 40 mins. south to Anaheim for Disneyland.

EDIT: I would just like to add that Craigslist is what lead me to my last 2 living spaces. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/hhh/

what superstix said... ^

do you plan to start a family out here? do you want to live in the middle of thriving art and music scenes? do you relish the thought of subsisting on crazy good mexican food?

i love living in echo park. the only thing that bothers me is the surging gang activity, and downtown is the only neighborhood i'd rather live in.

Maybe one day we'll have kids, but no time soon.

From what I gather, LA might make more sense than NYC. NYC is just too fucking expensive and there is no space. Growing up in the Midwest, there was nature and yards and shit.

We like culture. I don't know if that sort of thing is comparable out there to here. We have lots of friends that are musicians, photographers, doctors, U.N. workers. You know, international intellectual types with advanced degrees. I like that sort of crowd but I, myself, am a punk.

btw

WTF is up with all of this gang shit in LA I keep hearing about?

Are we back in the 80's?

How bad is it?

In Brooklyn, you see street corner thugs and that's about it. No one gets in anyone's way ore shoots anyone, as far as I've seen.

Maybe they do, but I've been here 12 years and haven't ever seen a shooting.

LA is shit.

It's disgustingly polluted, you have to drive everywhere, and a heavy portion of the population is fucking phony [which is a coastal California thing, really]. Most people here get butt-hurt when you call them 'guy' when you're trying to be friendly.

NYC and LA are absolutely nothing alike.

Although, if you want to work in tv or movies, that's a good place to go. I've thought about moving there to get into film composing. If you can get a job lined up for you when you get there, then it's definitely worth moving to. It could be worse...you could be living in Sacramento.

LA is shit.

It's disgustingly polluted, you have to drive everywhere, and a heavy portion of the population is fucking phony [which is a coastal California thing, really]. Most people here get butt-hurt when you call them 'guy' when you're trying to be friendly.

Although, if you want to work in tv or movies, that's a good place to go. I've thought about moving there to get into film composing. If you can get a job lined up for you when you get there, then it's definitely worth moving to. It could be worse...you could be living in Sacramento.

Haha! Spoken like a true San Francisco resident.

I love San Francisco too though. California rules.

Let me just say this. Who you surround yourself with will shape your experience living here. I met most of my friends and acquaintances through music (being in bands, playing shows, attending shows, etc.) so they are the artsy fartsy fun type who love music, and we on occasion go out to places that attract other people of a similar nature. If you for some reason decide you want to go to a snobby "elite" Hollywood club/bar with a dress code and mandatory bottle service, sure you'll be surrounded by douche bags.

Yes, LA is big, so if you want to get from one side to the other, it's better to have a car. But there is public trans and I know many people who use it.

As for the "pollution", I grew up in a small agricultural town in a beautiful valley north of here and the air quality down here in L.A. doesn't really effect me. I don't go downtown much I suppose, but unless you're spending most of your time on the freeway, I can't imagine you'd notice it.

Pro-Tip: North Hollywood ain't really Hollywood.

I still <3 you Braintree.

WTF is up with all of this gang shit in LA I keep hearing about?

Are we back in the 80's?

How bad is it?

In Brooklyn, you see street corner thugs and that's about it. No one gets in anyone's way ore shoots anyone, as far as I've seen.

Maybe they do, but I've been here 12 years and haven't ever seen a shooting.

we've had ~20 shootings in echo park over the last six months. most were gang related, but a couple of them appeared to be the scary random type. like, a guy rolled up to the echo (club\venue) on a motorcycle and started spraying bullets into the crowd.

helicopter cops hover around the neighborhood with their spotlights every other night. there have been too many robberies and car thefts in the past year to count. lucky for me, i have nothing of value that anyone would want.

i'll hook you up with a dodgers shirt and you'll be fine.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

we are also making this move in the next month or 2. but san francisco to LA.

we're looking at more westside, (love the ocean) started looking at venice/santa monica before we realised we could only afford a shithole in those neighborhoods. we're considering mar vista now, as its closeby and cheaper. not decided exactly where yet, need more visits. we got shit credit so choice is limited.

the rent is still high in la but not as bad as SF. its also amazing how the quality of the apartments jumps up if your budget goes up $500.

moving due to work possibilities rather than cultural stimulations, although i am looking forward to having a new city to explore but not to the driving involved in said exploration

we're looking at more westside, (love the ocean) started looking at venice/santa monica before we realised we could only afford a shithole in those neighborhoods. we're considering mar vista now, as its closeby and cheaper. not decided exactly where yet, need more visits. we got shit credit so choice is limited.

Venice pretty much is a shithole. A big ugly touristy shithole.

Guest Ominous

I live in a shithole-ish studio on the Westsiiiide. It's quite safe around here though (Westwood). Sometimes I wish I still lived in Orange County...

Some other tips/resources:

lamag.com

laweekly.com (like the village voice of LA)

flavorpill.com/losangeles

laist.com

sunset.com (for your inner 40 year old woman :P)

LA is shit.

Haha! Spoken like a true San Francisco resident.

I love San Francisco too though. California rules.

Let me just say this. Who you surround yourself with will shape your experience living here. I met most of my friends and acquaintances through music (being in bands, playing shows, attending shows, etc.) so they are the artsy fartsy fun type who love music, and we on occasion go out to places that attract other people of a similar nature. If you for some reason decide you want to go to a snobby "elite" Hollywood club/bar with a dress code and mandatory bottle service, sure you'll be surrounded by douche bags.

Yes, LA is big, so if you want to get from one side to the other, it's better to have a car. But there is public trans and I know many people who use it.

As for the "pollution", I grew up in a small agricultural town in a beautiful valley north of here and the air quality down here in L.A. doesn't really effect me. I don't go downtown much I suppose, but unless you're spending most of your time on the freeway, I can't imagine you'd notice it.

Pro-Tip: North Hollywood ain't really Hollywood.

I still <3 you Braintree.

<3 u 2.

Who you surround yourself with will impact your experience anywhere, really. I tend to hang out with east coasters, because I get along with them a lot better. I think I only regularly hang out with two or three people from California. Everyone else I know is from the east coast or midwest.

Yes, there's public transit in LA, but I'm sure it's not nearly as efficient as NYC...or Boston...or Chicago...or even SF.

Pollution-wise, every time I've been to LA, I've noticed it. The first time I went, I looked dead straight at the sun and it didn't hurt my eyes because of the smog blocking it. Unreal.

Archived