IGNORED

learning math for electronics

Guest Helper ET

Guest Helper ET

i want to build my own synth. ive been slowly introducing myself to electronics, and i understand that there is a point where you need to use complex math

does anyone here have any experience with electronics? what level of math are we are dealing with? i always hated math in school and wasnt very good at it. im willing to learn now though, as the reward would be well worth it. when i was in school, i always told myself i would never need math...oh the irony

anyway, if this is something i can handle, i think ill begin a study regiment, and spend about an hour a day learning electronics and math

cheers

it's not too hard really. i think you'll find that it gets easy when you can actually apply the maths, as opposed to just learning it blindly in school.

i studied electronics for a while but got distracted by general life. thinking of getting back into it!

I'v met a bloke who used to fix and design his own analogues which was always a side earner to the pro electronic he was trained in (having a masters I think). Considering he didn't design the stuff he was fixing he really was very cleaver at following the circuit design path and understanding how it works.

on the on the hand I've heard of some very reputable synth designers that aren't actually that well qualified in dedicated electronics but know how to nick other designs and shove them together kinda like a car mechanic rather than a mechanical engineer kinda way

I'd recommend checking out various synth schematics and having a go at those kit modualr like synthesiser.com

there really isn't that much in a regular analogue circuit board if you want to get into it however inventing you own custom shit may take a little more know how especially when digital control comes into play

it may take a while to become like dave smith

I'm happy with my G2

Guest ezkerraldean

maths

maths

abbreviation of "mathematics" which is a plural

automobiles -> autos

mathematics -> maths

i want to build my own synth. ive been slowly introducing myself to electronics, and i understand that there is a point where you need to use complex math

does anyone here have any experience with electronics? what level of math are we are dealing with? i always hated math in school and wasnt very good at it. im willing to learn now though, as the reward would be well worth it. when i was in school, i always told myself i would never need math...oh the irony

anyway, if this is something i can handle, i think ill begin a study regiment, and spend about an hour a day learning electronics and math

cheers

damn kids telling themselves they'll never need math(s)...

you'll be dealing with something like college algebra & some pre-calculus (the number e shows up a lot in electronics, as do complex numbers)

if you're new to electronics, this is a good site: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/

damn kids telling themselves they'll never need math(s)...

it's because it isn't taught properly in schools. kids need to know why they're going to need that knowledge. well at least i did. if i'd known that it is used in electronics, i probably would have paid attention. you end up learning it in electronics courses anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

I agree that it isn't always taught properly...i'm lucky to currently have a math professor I really enjoy, but a poor teacher can really stifle things. as for that last part, difference of opinions/experiences I guess. Math for the sake of itself matters to me, practical application or no. I wasn't taught too much math in my electronics classes, it was expected knowledge. differences again i guess.

np ET, good luck man :cisfor:

From doing circuits for 1 year,this was all I needed to know.

maths

maths

abbreviation of "mathematics" which is a plural

automobiles -> autos

mathematics -> maths

fillet

fillet

pronounced "fi-LAY" which is a French, not "fill-it"

controversy

contro-versy

not "con-TROV-ersy"

the point is that if you say maths in America, people would wonder what the fuck you're on about because I've been from kindergarten to graduate school and no one ever says "maths". I didn't know about pluralizing it until WATMM and the BBC. You're more likely to hear the particular strand--calculus? trigonometry? algebra?

jus' sayin' :spiteful:

granted, you're Canadian and may say "fil-LAY" but what's Canada? A little Lime, a little Frog, all European...I am being totally tongue-in-cheek btw no offense meant

I say con-tro-versy.

And now were back to the "I could/couldn't care less" thing. Think about what the sentence is supposed to mean, then say it. Oh well, who gives a shit.

Guest ezkerraldean

granted, you're Canadian and may say "fil-LAY" but what's Canada? A little Lime, a little Frog, all European...I am being totally tongue-in-cheek btw no offense meant

lolz, i'd never heard limey before until i came to canada actually

i'm on the first year of a sound engineering course. i've been told on the selection interview that the course is full of maths, and that it would be better to take the math classes that they teach there, they call it "audio applied maths", but what it really is in fact is the random math that is taught on every's university 1st year, so i quit the math classes. every time i feel a little trouble at math related problems on other classes, i can count on my colleagues to bump me up, or spend some money on a private teacher to give me some hints.

so far the only advanced math i've been taught was exclusively for deducing main formulas to be used further ahead.

Why don't you just learn max/msp first like you were planning to do a couple of years ago. It'll teach you the main steps towards synthesis without getting your fingers burnt (literally) with faffing about with electronics. It will also teach you about the main mathematical principles required towards sound creation too.

And if you don't want to go for the expense of Max then get the free 'clone' - http://puredata.info

allaboutcircuits.com was my bible through my first and second year.

i'd recommend buying something like the Gakken SX-150 since its quite a nice simple synth circuit and basically built to be modded. Theres a ton of schematics and hacks knocking around the web which'll run you through the basics.

Archived