IGNORED

i hate this 'release format'

I'm surprised nobody has told you to press them to ten vinyls and get a leather-bound gimp to hold them all...

this.

hrhr good laughs in here :whistling:

but seriously... we shouldn't ask ourselves so many stupid questions to get the feeling we're actually doing something. if we are real heart-blood musicians we just make music and don't worry about it. some way to release will be found or not...

your music is quite interesting by the way

Everyone does it differently. The big things to think about are as follows:

Is it all worth releasing?

Are there certain tracks you come back to and say, "Man, now that really gets me." or the opposite where, though you enjoy it, you skip it? These are telltale signs of whether you should or should not release something now. Note that the material is always available for release later.

Are the songs pieces of a whole, or meant to stand on their own?

I think the idea of an album as a complete work is a beautiful thing. It's really cool to find an album where you can listen to a song and it's cool, but it has a far greater impact when you listen to the album as a whole. That being said, it's also awesome to listen to a song that is a complete work in and of itself. There's also a third way to present your work, which is with you the artist and you body of work and progression as the greater art, but it's a lot harder and imposes a lot of expectations.

What will tie the tracks in your releases together?

Will it just be when they were created? That is often enough for a lot of people. It's also neat to go back and listen to an artist's catalog where this is the case, as you get to hear the progression and evolution of their style very clearly as well as get a bit of a feel for where they were in life at that particular time. You can also create a concept album that revolves around a concept or story. Or you can just make an album focused on a certain style or aesthetic. VSnares does that a lot.
Filth
and
Making Orange Things
are good examples.

There's a lot of room for expression through the album as an art form. Fidget with it, play with ideas, and find what you think will work. I will say, alongside everyone else here, that releasing 100 tracks at once sounds like an awful idea, but if that's what you think is best, that's what you're gonna do.

I personally enjoy the EP and LP formats well enough. I like EPs for collections of solid songs that work moderately well on their own, and LPs as more of a collective piece of art.

I don't like when EPs are just short demo-y things that come out before an LP. That sucks. Just wait and release that shit when it's time or toss out one track to get them pumped for it. I also don't like filler tracks. If it's a crappy track, put it on a b-side release later or don't release it. For intros and interludes, I'd say one of each per LP max, and the LP better be on the longer side if so.

That's my two cents.

You've got talent. But your music alternates too much for me. Ideas are gone before they get developed. That first track could be 4 separate tracks, its crazy. If you have 100 tracks like that its probably over 400 ideas.

Thats just my opinion on your music, its good though. I dunno if you wanted feed back on the music though. Your original question was stupid anyway, stop being a baby and make a conscious decision to do your own thing.

Note that the material is always available for release later.

unless you get hit by a bus.

Hey as long as it's backed up it can still be released, even if you're dead.

Guest hahathhat

Note that the material is always available for release later.

unless you get hit by a bus.

Hey as long as it's backed up it can still be released, even if you're dead.

but i won't be around to make sure the edges are square... i suppose i wouldn't care then, but the idea bothers me now. i never thought about it much until a day a couple months ago, when i almost had to drive myself to the emergency room.

you've got a limited time on this planet. you don't want to release premature shit, but you don't want to miss your chance, either.

you've got a limited time on this planet. you don't want to release premature shit, but you don't want to miss your chance, either.

true that

Find tracks which equal about 42 minutes

have them a similiar ethic

release as short LP, listen to criticism

repeat again by updating the second LP's tracks with the criticisms

Guest hahathhat

i want a vinyl that looks like a saw blade, with the edges sharpened to a point.

"oh, that looks just like a... OW!"

Guest Tamas

Generally speaking I usually just decide what theme I want to compose music for, and then I decide main structure ideas like how long I want it to be, etc. It's pretty difficult I'd say to decide when to finish any piece of music or release, but I'd say anything that's longer than 45 minutes will be too much, and most will never hear any of the tracks past the 40 minute mark. I tend to make a lot of music and I understand what you mean about wanting to release all of it, so I just release the works that I make as I go, and keep some of them for myself.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Promo

You music kinda reminds me of Faust the way ideas come ago. Mm has a very Krautrock type feel to it.

Archived