IGNORED

AB5

YEK

I mean you just straight made this two pressing thing up, correct?

Well, Diao just brought up the only other possibility. I think it's more likely that they didn't have any leftovers, but again, I could be wrong. It wouldn't be too hard to have some more made anyway... "multiple pressings" doesn't mean much when we're talking less than 100 copies per "run" either, so it doesn't really matter much. I think the "second run"s are the ones with "AB5" circled on the label. Not sure if originals have that too.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think there were 50 test pressing over the years and that was richards experiment to scam pressing plants to do white labels for free but it took a decade to complete and he let it go.

i mean it could happen

There are two pressings. The original '95 test press of which there are supposedly 50, and the very limited repress that went out to those who had their Analord order screwed up. Presumably, there are only 20 of those second presses, since only about 20 people had messed up orders.

LOL - where did you get this information? Totally incorrect. All were from the original test pressing from 1995.

I vaguely remember some 'fact' that a few of those early AB5's were given away at some Rephlex party in the mid 90's, if I'm not mistaken? If so, those were some lucky bastards.

I've never heard of that happening with ABB5 or any test pressings from Rephlex.

WTF, this is your pure imagination talking.

Brilliant rebuttal. Mind telling me how it really is, then? I'm pretty sure the test press was 50 copies, though I said I could be wrong. I doubt there were any leftovers, so there was probably a small number of second pressings made from the same master disc for the Analord recipients.

Yeah, pretty sure the copies that people got from the Analord mishaps were from the remaining copies made during the original test/promo pressing that Rephlex still had.

Correct - KyonPalm is talking out of his arse. The fact he's "pretty sure" (were you around Rephlex HQ in the mid-90's Kyon? I bet you were still in nappies or playing with LEGO in the mid 90's! :lol:

Well, Diao just brought up the only other possibility. I think it's more likely that they didn't have any leftovers, but again, I could be wrong. It wouldn't be too hard to have some more made anyway... "multiple pressings" doesn't mean much when we're talking less than 100 copies per "run" either, so it doesn't really matter much. I think the "second run"s are the ones with "AB5" circled on the label. Not sure if originals have that too.

LOL... you "could be" wrong. YOU ARE WRONG. Please don't go speaking like you know what you're talking about, unless you're willing to cite sources, or at the very least say "could it be possible that..." or "perhaps what happened..."

As far as not being "hard to have some more made anyway" - do you know what's involved in making a vinyl record, and the costs associated? Test pressings are done when an album is typically close to being released, and the pressing plant makes some test pressings to see how the release will sound on the intended medium - think of it as the equivalent of a "print preview" on your computer before you commit to pressing the Print button and wasting ink and paper.

i think there were 50 test pressing over the years and that was richards experiment to scam pressing plants to do white labels for free but it took a decade to complete and he let it go.

i mean it could happen

LOL, please - stop spreading false information like this - Richard doesn't need to scam anyone to get a test pressing made if he wanted one. And the idea that Rephlex would go through the trouble of pressing up 20 (or any for that matter) copies of an unreleased album just to say sorry to 20 or so people is laughable, at best. It was incredibly generous for them to give out ABB5 as a way to make up for the shipping cock up of the Analord binder, but in the end it was a matter of convenience - they had that sitting around, and it was fitting for them to give it out as a way of saying sorry for the mistake.

The far more interesting thing to talk about is - if ABB5 was intended on being released to the point they got a test pressing done, had they thought about or created any artwork for it? I never got the chance to ask Richard about the artwork aspect (it was funny, since ABB5 was one of the reasons Richard got in touch with me to begin with, and at the time had told me that they were thinking about releasing it properly one day. Obviously that never happened, and I have little hope of it coming to fruition, even in this age of digital releases. I still scratch my head and wonder why Rephlex doesn't capitalize on the fact there's literally a whole new generation of fans discovering their discography, and they could make some good cash to put out more releases with the proceeds of reissuing classic AFX - physically or especially digitally.

so anyway. why is it a CAT 034-1, were there ever a CAT 034-2?

Doesn't the last digit refer to whether it's the A-side of the first disc, B-side of the first disc, A-side of the second disc and so on? So each catalogue number refers to a unique record-side of music?

Doesn't the last digit refer to whether it's the A-side of the first disc, B-side of the first disc, A-side of the second disc and so on? So each catalogue number refers to a unique record-side of music?

That's correct. You'd think they'd use side A, side B, etc. but some pressing plants I guess found numbers to make more sense.

also lego rules, what's your point

LEGO does rule! My ribbing of him was to illustrate the fact he was probably just a little kid when all this was happening.

I hope Kyron doesn't take my ribbing too seriously - I just bristle when somebody starts stating theory as fact and forgets to qualify it as such.

I vaguely remember some 'fact' that a few of those early AB5's were given away at some Rephlex party in the mid 90's, if I'm not mistaken? If so, those were some lucky bastards.

I've never heard of that happening with ABB5 or any test pressings from Rephlex.

I'll take that back then, I thought I got this info straight from this site. How were the first copies distributed then? (Actually, will there be anything like the old site again or am I questioning something really jazz and/or obvious? The last thing I heard was in 2004 when I asked you when the site would be back, the reply being a few months hehe. But even something like bocpages would be great, and it would mean you don't have to correct and explain everything every month).

Btw, I actually played with legos while listening to Aphex when I was a young cool 90's kid :music: that ofcourse makes my rumor more authorized :trashbear:

it would mean you don't have to correct and explain everything every month

That's a good point. Instead of just saying "rules!" people could actually link to where the information is, and the OP would surely be happier, and everyone else wouldn't have to expend any effort finding the previous instance of the thing being said. If you think about it, Joyrex, you'll be saving time by making this repository of information!

I'll take that back then, I thought I got this info straight from this site. How were the first copies distributed then? (Actually, will there be anything like the old site again or am I questioning something really jazz and/or obvious? The last thing I heard was in 2004 when I asked you when the site would be back, the reply being a few months hehe. But even something like bocpages would be great, and it would mean you don't have to correct and explain everything every month).

Btw, I actually played with legos while listening to Aphex when I was a young cool 90's kid :music: that ofcourse makes my rumor more authorized :trashbear:

LOL, I've been playing with LEGO all my life - finally stopped (although I do take a stroll through the LEGO isle at the store now and then to see what's new) when my son outgrew them. I see some of the creations the LEGO fanatics make these days... blows my mind.

Yes, that's the biggest running joke on this site is when will the bloody content finally be back - it's been gone longer than it was there, and there's really no easy way to say why - I will say that things are starting to move in a direction where it might finally make an appearance again... not going to say anymore as not to jinx it! :lol:

it would mean you don't have to correct and explain everything every month

That's a good point. Instead of just saying "rules!" people could actually link to where the information is, and the OP would surely be happier, and everyone else wouldn't have to expend any effort finding the previous instance of the thing being said. If you think about it, Joyrex, you'll be saving time by making this repository of information!

Yeah, it really would be great - especially if the old idea of having topics in the subforum linked to the discography entry, so if someone did look somethhing up, they could add to the commentary from the discography or the forum or vice versa...

I never got the chance to ask Richard about the artwork aspect (it was funny, since ABB5 was one of the reasons Richard got in touch with me to begin with, and at the time had told me that they were thinking about releasing it properly one day. Obviously that never happened, and I have little hope of it coming to fruition, even in this age of digital releases. I still scratch my head and wonder why Rephlex doesn't capitalize on the fact there's literally a whole new generation of fans discovering their discography, and they could make some good cash to put out more releases with the proceeds of reissuing classic AFX - physically or especially digitally.

I'm a bit more positive on this. Anything could happen. I mean we got the Lego Feet CD w/ twice the music. Who ever thought that would come to light? She kidnapped herself man.

Richard discographies as far back as '96-'98 describe some of the test pressing as having a "circled AB5" on it. You can check the work of Alan M. Perry's discog or Christopher Miller's.

http://rdj.moto-coda.org/discography/Pages/Framese2.html

No worries about the whole "pressings" fiasco, Joyrex. Oddly enough, I thought I heard about most of what I mentioned from you, but obviously my memory failed me. I do know what it takes to press a record, more than you think I do... it isn't simple, for sure. And yes, LEGOs are fucking awesome. And thanks for the writing-on-label clarification, SPD².

I'm 99% sure it's from the original pressing. I remember (quite a while ago, though) Grant saying that Rephlex still had copies around, and everyone suggesting he sell them/offering wads of dough for them.

That said, it is definitely possible there were more pressed up (so long as they still had the mother plates, I doubt they would spend that much money to remedy some shipping goof ups). It's not like everyone is privy to everything Richard D. James does, anyway, lol.

i have it in 128 bitrate

is it fair to say that all versions are the same? would make sense...

All the versions are not the same. I got one that was horribly mixed and then another that was spot on and another that returned to the old shit mix.

Archived