IGNORED

when girls say "i was talking with my girlfriend..."

keltoi

oh yes even worse in german, as you just call your boyfriend "friend". so basically everytime you talk to someone about a friend you gotta say the awful "a friend of mine" or else youre getting instant dumb questions :facepalm:

Same shit in Dutch. If you literally use "my friend" it somehow connotes it's your boyfriend. It's absurd really.

Wow so you guys have to say my "friend who I don't have sex with nor do I even enjoy that kind of thing" otherwise people automatically assume you're gay?

Like in German we can say "a friend of mine" or use synonyms. We have masculine and feminine nouns for friend ("vriend" and "vriendin"), saying "my friend" ("mijn vriend") suggests I'm talking about my boyfriend. It's not really a problem in day to day conversations, but if I want to avoid slang and want to refer to a friend, it can be very annoying.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, I've had women clients in the past that I assumed were lesbians because they referred to girlfriends, but this thread is making me wonder if it was all just a lie. None of the girls I know do that. I mean they're all lying vipers of course, but they don't refer to female friends as girlfriends.

Yeah, unless people now throw their sexual orientation around all the time they probably weren't trying to overtly tell you they're lesbian.

No, but when I tell people I've recently met that I'm off to meet my girlfriend I'm not trying to be overt about my heterosexuality, I'm just mentioning what I'm doing. It never struck me as odd that any of them might have girlfriends. *shrug*

Yeah, I get what you mean. My thought is that Victoria can't be that different from 5 hours south here in terms of homosexuality not still having some strange "taboo" air about it (I do realize Portland is a pretty gay city).

This post sucks. :facepalm:

Yeah, I get what you mean. My thought is that Victoria can't be that different from 5 hours south here in terms of homosexuality not still having some strange "taboo" air about it.

Thankfully it is that different, at least among most of the people under 40/over 15 I've met here, and especially among those who tend to visit a recording studio. It's a lot stranger around here to meet someone who seems genuinely homophobic than it is to meet someone who's openly gay. That said, I'm sure there's still tons of latent homophobia here as with anywhere, I'm just not usually witness to much of it.

Guest rumbo

Girls can't really be friends with each other but they feel the need to reinforce their fake friendships with excessive terms of endearment and screaming/hugging etc

Absolutely true. It can all be over in a matter of seconds for the dumbest reasons.

Guest rumbo

Like in German we can say "a friend of mine" or use synonyms. We have masculine and feminine nouns for friend ("vriend" and "vriendin"), saying "my friend" ("mijn vriend") suggests I'm talking about my boyfriend. It's not really a problem in day to day conversations, but if I want to avoid slang and want to refer to a friend, it can be very annoying.

lekker vriend, smaakt snoep

Girls can't really be friends with each other but they feel the need to reinforce their fake friendships with excessive terms of endearment and screaming/hugging etc

LOL.

True.. So true.

"i'm going to meet up with my girlfriend".

i think "cool can i come and watch you lessing off with each other?".

if they're meeting a male friend that they're not dating what do they call them?

if i said "i'm off to meet my boyfriend" you'd naturally assume that i was gay wouldn't you, and probably ask if you could come and watch us rimming each others chocolate brownies?

yours confusedly. kel.

You let her out of the house !!

so true. I think there is a direct correlation with how high their fake "hello" voice goes to how much they like the woman they are talking to.

thankfully i don't really know anyone or have any friends that do this but the woman i work with does it all the time. she's one of those high maintenance, late 40's types that thinks she's in sex and the city, all shoes and handbags, doing lunch and faaaaaaaaabulous!

it's repulsive.

so true. I think there is a direct correlation with how high their fake "hello" voice goes to how much they like the woman they are talking to.

wow. my other half is pretty tight with her girlfriends and they've been friends for 20 odd years.

As a female, I do agree that some girls have all that screamy girly nonsense but most of us don't. I call my female companions "girl friends" but I emphasise the space between girl and friend.

I do have a special girl friend who is practically my wife, I think girls are closer to their female companions as it was an evolutionary advantage thousands of years ago. Female gorillas will not breed unless they have their own group of females to support them.

Basically, bitches need bitches you dun no.

Guest Iain C

Yeah, but the thing is, this is a load of dumb misogynistic bullshit.

lol pretty much iain.

I call my female companions "girl friends" but I emphasise the space between girl and friend.

that sounds silly. why not just say "friend"? i couldn't give a shit if you're talking about a male or female friend. why the need to specify?

And then you synchronize your periods, to the great frustration of polygamists everywhere.

lol pretty much iain.

I call my female companions "girl friends" but I emphasise the space between girl and friend.

that sounds silly. why not just say "friend"? i couldn't give a shit if you're talking about a male or female friend. why the need to specify?

Cause girlfriend sounds cooler, gurrlfrend.

wow. my other half is pretty tight with her girlfriends and they've been friends for 20 odd years.

my wife has long time friends too, they just aren't as tight as my long time friends. I know I can count on them for anything. a lot of her friends could flake out at anytime for any reason. I grew up with two sisters and all their friends seemed to be the same way. just not as reliable as guy friends.

and the high pitched talking goes on at my work all the time. it's cringeworthy. some of the women there complain about having to work with so many women.

As a female, I do agree that some girls have all that screamy girly nonsense but most of us don't. I call my female companions "girl friends" but I emphasise the space between girl and friend.

I do have a special girl friend who is practically my wife, I think girls are closer to their female companions as it was an evolutionary advantage thousands of years ago. Female gorillas will not breed unless they have their own group of females to support them.

Nice, inside info!

Well I guess I say it to talk about a particular group of friends.

"I went out with my girl friends last night, we talked about periods and had a pillow fight!!!lol!!"

or

"yeah well me and my girl friend hung out for a bit, talked about boyz"

I'm not sure really why we use it, I'm more likely just to list off the names unless it was an all girls night out etc.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Yeah, but the thing is, this is a load of dumb misogynistic bullshit.

Yeah I hate to be such a misanthropic cunt but there's some truth in it. I believe my girlfriend and her mates are real friends but they just conduct the whole thing in a way that seems ridiculous to me, they're always organising meet-ups that if you ask any of them individually they flat out don't want to attend and then they'll screeeaaaam down the phone to each other about how much they are looking forward to it. Often when I see two girls bump into each other there is a flurry of outfit comparing and lets-go-out-for-drinks squeals and if I wasn't old enough to know the code as Jules mentioned I would be forgiven for thinking they even slightly like each other or intent to go out for those drinks. Yes I'm generalising and no there's nothing especially wrong with all this anyway.

my wife has long time friends too, they just aren't as tight as my long time friends. I know I can count on them for anything. a lot of her friends could flake out at anytime for any reason. I grew up with two sisters and all their friends seemed to be the same way. just not as reliable as guy friends.

actually, same here when you put it like that. my gf's friends let her down all the time but it doesn't seem to undo their friendship, cos she's learned not to expect too much from them. her supposed best friend has only seen our daughter once since she was born, whereas all my mates are really close and around all the time. in fact, i consider my friends' gf's/wives to be better friends to my gf than her longterm friends.

thankfully no females i mix with (apart from my annoying co-worker) do all that shrieky high pitched shit.

Guest Coalbucket PI

actually, same here when you put it like that. my gf's friends let her down all the time but it doesn't seem to undo their friendship, cos she's learned not to expect too much from them. her supposed best friend has only seen our daughter once since she was born, whereas all my mates are really close and around all the time. in fact, i consider my friends' gf's/wives to be better friends to my gf than her longterm friends.

Yes to this. Where as I usually don't like my girlfriend's friends boyfriends probably because I'm a misanthropic cunt

Archived