IGNORED

when girls say "i was talking with my girlfriend..."

keltoi

"i'm going to meet up with my girlfriend".

i think "cool can i come and watch you lessing off with each other?".

if they're meeting a male friend that they're not dating what do they call them?

if i said "i'm off to meet my boyfriend" you'd naturally assume that i was gay wouldn't you, and probably ask if you could come and watch us rimming each others chocolate brownies?

yours confusedly. kel.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest dese manz hatin

oh yes even worse in german, as you just call your boyfriend "friend". so basically everytime you talk to someone about a friend you gotta say the awful "a friend of mine" or else youre getting instant dumb questions :facepalm:

oh yes even worse in german, as you just call your boyfriend "friend". so basically everytime you talk to someone about a friend you gotta say the awful "a friend of mine" or else youre getting instant dumb questions :facepalm:

Same shit in Dutch. If you literally use "my friend" it somehow connotes it's your boyfriend. It's absurd really.

Guest Babar

is that jean paul belmondo and anna karina in pierrot le fou by godard ?

i'm talking about ego's av

and it's quite the same in french except we have two words for friend : ami(e) et copain(copine litterally co-bread, the one you share bread with) .

problem : copain/copine means both friend and boyfriend/girlfriend.

So we just use ami most of time.

copine(girlfriend) can also be heard/read as co-pine (pine = prick, dick, wang). Makes sense.

edit : i edited this post three four times.

This is actually turning out to be an interesting thread about language and culture, WHO WOULDA THUNK IT?

It does slightly annoy me, but USUALLY it's only a certain type of woman who uses the term girlfriend in a non-lesbian way. You know... the kind that listens to Katy Perry and reads woman's gossip magazines and that sort of thing. And I pretty much never talk to those sorts of people.

And then it disappoints me when cool girls say that. They should know better. It's illogical.

I do wonder what the reason behind it is. I get the feeling they think it's somehow modern and of the times but instead it's pointless, confusing and stupid.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Girls can't really be friends with each other but they feel the need to reinforce their fake friendships with excessive terms of endearment and screaming/hugging etc

Girls can't really be friends with each other but they feel the need to reinforce their fake friendships with excessive scissoring

FTFY

is that jean paul belmondo and anna karina in pierrot le fou by godard ?

i'm talking about ego's av

Sure is :)

Girls can't really be friends with each other but they feel the need to reinforce their fake friendships with excessive terms of endearment and screaming/hugging etc

My gf has real life female friends. She despises those bitchy girls, that only have friends for some or other sort of ego boosting.

Guest 277: 930-933

We've got the same issue in Dutch. I just call everyone an acquaintance/relation/non-sexual life partner to avoid confusion.

Same shit in Dutch. If you literally use "my friend" it somehow connotes it's your boyfriend. It's absurd really.

Wow so you guys have to say my "friend who I don't have sex with nor do I even enjoy that kind of thing" otherwise people automatically assume you're gay?

This really hot Cambodian girl I work with is a lesbian. Though I know no female could ever appreciate her caboose the way a man could, she showed me a picture of her equally hot ex-girlfriend and I know miracles do take place.

Guest Coalbucket PI

My gf has real life female friends. She despises those bitchy girls, that only have friends for some or other sort of ego boosting.

she's a guy

Hmmm, I've had women clients in the past that I assumed were lesbians because they referred to girlfriends, but this thread is making me wonder if it was all just a lie. None of the girls I know do that. I mean they're all lying vipers of course, but they don't refer to female friends as girlfriends.

Hmmm, I've had women clients in the past that I assumed were lesbians because they referred to girlfriends, but this thread is making me wonder if it was all just a lie. None of the girls I know do that. I mean they're all lying vipers of course, but they don't refer to female friends as girlfriends.

Yeah, unless people now throw their sexual orientation around all the time they probably weren't trying to overtly tell you they're lesbian.

I just refer to my friends as friends, even my girlfriend since I'm not going to get all gushy about crap with people that don't care about it and she is one of my best friends.

Yeah, unless people now throw their sexual orientation around all the time they probably weren't trying to overtly tell you they're lesbian.

No, but when I tell people I've recently met that I'm off to meet my girlfriend I'm not trying to be overt about my heterosexuality, I'm just mentioning what I'm doing. It never struck me as odd that any of them might have girlfriends. *shrug*

Archived