IGNORED

The Horrors - Skying

Guest beatfanatic

Guest beatfanatic

the-horrors-skying-artwork.jpeg

Loved the shit out of Primary Colours and looking forward to hearing this.

By the way. LEAKED

A couple of the lads are mates, and I used to be in a band with Josh (guitarist)... I don't see any real problem with wearing your influences on your sleeve, Primary Colours has some really good stuff on it, and the new single off Skying is alright too. Josh and I spent most of sixth form listening to AFX, MBV and Sonic Youth. He was made up to play on the bill with Squarepusher at the Electric Proms gig a few years ago too.

yeah i've got no problem with these guys at all. primary colours was amazing. will definitely check out the new one.

what are they like live? i've heard conflicting reports.

I need to dl and listen to Primary Colors more I lost it when I was transfering files to my external, but I love the first album Strange House and the EP by these guys... I'll def look into this one.

that was my experience anyhow. I saw them at the Oxford Art Factory, I think they're definitely more suited to small venues than big outdoor ones

sweet. that's such a great venue. i saw dark bells (and a bunch of other shoegaze/psych bands) there last october. amazing sound!

• 2 months later...

The "MBV wannabe" album was fucking fantastic

Yea this. I hadn't found any decent Garage Rock that wasn't too cheesey until I found them. Then they had to give into the MGMT Psychedelic-Pop craze. I can't blame them though. Rolling Stone will suck their dick and they're making a lot of money.

Oh yea, and MBV wasn't nearly as raw or hard as The Horrors. Their shit is pretty dull imo.

Guest Greg Reason

Oh yea, and MBV wasn't nearly as raw or hard as The Horrors. Their shit is pretty dull imo.

I'm not gonna go that far; MBV are fucking perfection, but I do love The Horrors as well. Different things tho.

Dull? Wow. I wonder if you ever had the pleasure of having your ears incinerated with "You made me realise" live, commonly referred to by audience

goers as "the holocaust section". MBV have to be one of the rawest, hardest, most moving and loudest bands I ever saw live. Loveless and Isn't anything are unique as far as I'm concerned.

Indeed MBV and the Horrors are polar opposites, comparisons there seem a bit silly.

Please give me an example of something raw by them. I'd love to be proven wrong. Because so far I'm not feeling anything from them.

Also understand I was high out of my mind when I wrote that last post.

And this post :cisfor:

Honestly, I 'm just angry that I fell in love with pre-psychedelic Horrors, and then they changed, and then everyone is always like "Well they were ripping off THIS band that sounds nothing like them anyway, so go listen to them instead", while I disagree completely.

Well, I guess the term Raw is subjective but I've yet to find anyone that doesn't find "Slow" by MBV to be one of the most erotic, druggy songs ever written or at least been moved by it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxtoqK0WMtM

All I need

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dil5Eh83n8U

To be listened to exceptionally loud. Hey, at the end of the day, MBV aren't for everyone, they either gel with you or not but what they achieved with their very slight output still influenced tons of acts and many bands still try and nail their sound to this day.

Honestly, I 'm just angry that I fell in love with pre-psychedelic Horrors, and then they changed, and then everyone is always like "Well they were ripping off THIS band that sounds nothing like them anyway, so go listen to them instead", while I disagree completely.

That's totally understandable actually, really similar to many My Bloody Valentine comparison antics I've heard wheeled out by journalists over the years. They've been used so many times in comparisons to other bands that people actually seem to get annoyed when they finally get to hear them for the first time. My bloody Valentine are like fine wine for sure. Every "Shoegaze" band throughout the 90's was lumped in with them but rarely did they actually sound like them. Slowdive are treasured by many today but at the time they were constantly slagged off as rich kids ripping off MBV which wasn't the case obviously.

I always remember when Billy Corgan from Smashing Pumpkins proclaimed (around the time of Gish) that My Bloody Valentines "Isn't Anything" was one of his favourite albums and how much it influenced them. I'm pretty certain lots of pumpkin fans who might not have heard MBV before ran out and grabbed Isn't anything only to think "Wtf is this, this sounds nothing like Smashing Pumpkins", of course they didn't!

Ha, I'm so lost. Skying and Primary Colours sound more like MBV ripoffs than Strange House. Yea, "Raw" is a very general word. The sound of their screeching organ, and his harsh voice gave it that "raw sound" in my opinion. I also use this word to describe The Stooges' self titled album.

Ah well, if I was in a "Psy-pop" mood I reckon I'd really enjoy mbv. Reminds me of Boards of Canada's Old Tunes, but with proper recording.

• 1 year later...

Archived