IGNORED

do you work out?

oyster

come on man whip your dick out and wave it around in the wind. It feels great and depending on size the wind resistance makes For a good core workout. Just make sure to combine it with a number of other isolation/balance exercises.

hell yeah.. wtf is all this bodybuilder muscle-science shit..

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest fiznuthian

Oh god why did I come to my laptop and open this thread again.

No your simple arrogant cut and dry advice like you've finally found the secret work out plan that works for all humans weighing from 400 pounds to 90 pounds with complete different diets and lifestyles is actually not applicably perfect for everyone.

"The message you are sending here is that your body's survival was put in jeopardy. It responds by planning for the worst." - That's actually a great description for what you don't want, not what you do. At best it's a decent analysis of what your body thinks when it triggers Cortisol, the worst possible thing for getting in shape or being healthy. I've stated back in the last page that lack of sleep, malnutrition, long low intensity work outs induce stress on the body that puts it in survival mode and produces cortisol. Cortisol=bad I don't need to repeat why again, look it up.

Your right intensity is really important for burning fat, but, no so important for a skinny dude that's trying to bulk up. Your extremely dynamic combination of diet, lifestyle and exercise change a lot of the equation. You've said a lot of stuff I would like to put different opinion upon but let's just start your statement like someone who is extremely overweight can.... getting an intense workout for 20 minutes and take a break for a week? That can work for someone whos already reached their goals, knows exactly how to fuck shit up and can go hard on the paint for 20 minutes keeping all muscles they've developed from going into a fast atrophy but.. First of all and one of the biggest things is keeping momentium, after about 3 days everyone I know finds it harder to get back to working out. I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the addiction that you build up to the edorphins produced when working out. Everytime I've spent more than 4 days not working out I have 4 times less drive to get back murdering fat, tearing new muscle fibers, getting my lungs and heart pumping etc. etc.

Everyone has different obstacles to overcome. I personally know that works best for me is not heavy weights at the gym or anywhere. Again for me specifically I already have more muscle mass than I really want. For one I need to continue doing lots of repetitions of intense lower resistance workouts and getting intense cardio. The last thing I need is to be lifting my max on shit and calling it good. My diet is also completely dictated by my goals.

I'm done for now.

Okay, i've been putting off replying to you.. You're right though. I will make an attempt to change how I communicate from now on..

I've been obsessively reading about hormones since your post. The more I read the more it seems we're probably both partially correct, but there may be more to cortisol than that. The danger is dosage, and chronic elevated cortisol isn't the same as an acute cortisol elevation. Cortisol release is controlled by the hypothalamus, so it's likely to be involved in the survival or "fight or flight" response. Cortisol seems to serve different functions depending on the stressor, and I have even came across studies showing cortisol stimulating immune responses rather than suppressing them.

But that's what I feel explains why high intensity interval training, combined with PLENTY of rest can be helpful. It temporarily elevates cortisol, but won't significantly alter the daily cortisol release pattern that will do it's thing regardless. Just like many other hormones cortisol is fairly tightly controlled, I presume through more damn feedback loops like everything else.

Your point about someone who is in poor shape attempting to do HIIT. Good point, I think that a person who is overweight, has low bone density, weak muscles, etc. they probably should not be trying to lift the heaviest weight possible or attempt any exercise that is simply too difficult and jeopardizes safety. But within safe limits a person even in bad shape can still push themselves a bit more than what feels too comfortable. I found studies where elderly people power-walked at "high intensity", but clearly they weren't making grandma do sprints. Another study performed HIIT cardio with COPD (severely lung impaired) patients and their conclusions were that HIIT seemed to be safe and effective.. But once again I doubt they were doing anything close to this difficult:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI8ozDimDoA

I'm not going to say what you are doing is wrong, or that HIIT is the end of the line for exercise and fitness. However, there are some impressive results in some of the studies published so far. HIIT works well for my lifestyle I guess. I find it incredibly easy to spend 20 minutes per week lifting hard or sprinting repeatedly then just take it easy for the rest of my week. But i've also been eating a high-fat paleo diet for many months now (which I love!) and practicing intermittent fasting which seems to make me crave exercise.. honestly I still have absolutely no idea why this happens.. but I keep fasting regardless.

I hope you weren't too terribly annoyed. :beer: We should hit up some Tribes sometime.

the effectiveness of that shit depends on whether you're genetically a high or low responder to exercise (as a completely separate thing from appetite/metabolism/being fat or thin or whatever)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeahhhh, just got the 2 dumbbells I ordered, in the mail! Each one goes up to 52 lbs, with 5 lb, 2.5 lb, and 1.25 lb weights, so you can do small increments.

This way I can workout whenever I am feeling up to it, without the hassle of having to trek over to the gym, and the weird gym vibes.

These, plus a variety of pushups, core exercises, and biking, should hold me over for a good while :)

They aren't top of the line or anything... I looked for so long, and you can spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on weights, and so when I found these for $135 with free shipping, I jumped on it. It's hard to find cheap adjustable dumbbells!

It looks like the seller has more, if you're interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Pair-105-lbs-Adjustable-Dumbbells-Weight-Set-52-5x2pc?item=320908763665&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26itu%3DI%252BUA%26otn%3D12%26pmod%3D221012587099%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8491934114947132661#ht_4050wt_824

I'm getting fat from all the Bourbon and Scotch. Took 10lbs in five years, but I'm still shaped the same, wear the same clothes #. It's all in teh belly LOL ... fuck! I gotta do push-ups and crunches each morning, but that's so boring. 5 minutes per day in my life wasted

You'll get addicted to the adreniline rush though... it won't just be a 5 min thing that ends. It'll be this 5 min thing that gives you a rush of adrenaline afterwards,. and you get addicted to that... and you start craving it. It really doesn't take long.

Also, it's not wasted, because it's something that gets you to a desired state: in better shape.

Again, this is coming from someone who was never physically active for the first 27 years of their life! If you want change, you have to... wait for it... change!

Been doing the most intense working out this week I have ever embarked on and it feels great. I have more energy now than before when I would not really work out but did bike around and stuff.

Anytime I'm waiting for something to render on the computer or just in general bored and got little going on, I'll use that time to do push ups and core workouts. Then will launch back into the virtual world with adrenaline flowing.

You'll get addicted to the adreniline rush though... it won't just be a 5 min thing that ends. It'll be this 5 min thing that gives you a rush of adrenaline afterwards,. and you get addicted to that... and you start craving it. It really doesn't take long.

Also, it's not wasted, because it's something that gets you to a desired state: in better shape.

Again, this is coming from someone who was never physically active for the first 27 years of their life! If you want change, you have to... wait for it... change!

So you say I should do it for the rush, the adaptation and teh general backwardness of the act?

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

PHILIP GLASS: Even if you adopt a really strict no alcohol, low carb, veggies and meat, paleo diet.. most people are going to have to do a lot more than 5 minutes of crunches to get rid of a belly effeciently. Like was said earlier crunches are not that great as singular ab work out and you don't really target fat in one area, you can build muscle in one area but not really lose fat specifically in one area.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

i've also been eating a high-fat paleo diet for many months now (which I love!) and practicing intermittent fasting which seems to make me crave exercise.. honestly I still have absolutely no idea why this happens.. but I keep fasting regardless.

I hope you weren't too terribly annoyed. :beer: We should hit up some Tribes sometime.

No dude, I wasn't terribly annoyed at you or anyone. Just was serious about the discussion and making sure that it's understood that things aren't that simple. Let's get some Tribes going sometime finally. Like you said, that work out plan works for you combined with a strict paleo diet and intermittent fasting. Something most people don't want to do. Having a really really good diet can be expensive, boring and really mentally straining.

I will probably be looking for faster ways to maintain my health, muscle strength and speed once I'm at my goal. Then I will be taking your advice on extreme short workouts which I will probably do 3 times a week still though.

My energy levels and my health are dramatically improved from working out almost every day. I'm pretty set that I have the right work out plan for me currently the next month or so. I'm shifting my diet to be more paleo, I'm getting more pumped about having a radically low body fat and in turn I'm finally getting a lot more disciplined about my diet.

Oh god why did I come to my laptop and open this thread again.

No your simple arrogant cut and dry advice like you've finally found the secret work out plan that works for all humans weighing from 400 pounds to 90 pounds with complete different diets and lifestyles is actually not applicably perfect for everyone.

"The message you are sending here is that your body's survival was put in jeopardy. It responds by planning for the worst." - That's actually a great description for what you don't want, not what you do. At best it's a decent analysis of what your body thinks when it triggers Cortisol, the worst possible thing for getting in shape or being healthy. I've stated back in the last page that lack of sleep, malnutrition, long low intensity work outs induce stress on the body that puts it in survival mode and produces cortisol. Cortisol=bad I don't need to repeat why again, look it up.

Your right intensity is really important for burning fat, but, no so important for a skinny dude that's trying to bulk up. Your extremely dynamic combination of diet, lifestyle and exercise change a lot of the equation. You've said a lot of stuff I would like to put different opinion upon but let's just start your statement like someone who is extremely overweight can.... getting an intense workout for 20 minutes and take a break for a week? That can work for someone whos already reached their goals, knows exactly how to fuck shit up and can go hard on the paint for 20 minutes keeping all muscles they've developed from going into a fast atrophy but.. First of all and one of the biggest things is keeping momentium, after about 3 days everyone I know finds it harder to get back to working out. I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the addiction that you build up to the edorphins produced when working out. Everytime I've spent more than 4 days not working out I have 4 times less drive to get back murdering fat, tearing new muscle fibers, getting my lungs and heart pumping etc. etc.

Everyone has different obstacles to overcome. I personally know that works best for me is not heavy weights at the gym or anywhere. Again for me specifically I already have more muscle mass than I really want. For one I need to continue doing lots of repetitions of intense lower resistance workouts and getting intense cardio. The last thing I need is to be lifting my max on shit and calling it good. My diet is also completely dictated by my goals.

I'm done for now.

spot on. i can't stand know-it-alls when it comes to fitness and health. there are many different approaches that fit to each person.

high intensity is bullshit for most people because you want to have an exercise habit, a regimen, like brushing your teeth. it has to be something you enjoy doing. for some people that's jogging, biking in the wild.

i honestly don't think that exercise SHOULD be high intensity, unless there is a goal in mind. for me i just want to be healthy, and to have a basic workout that i can do for the rest of my life, it should be a hobby. for some people that hobby will be more insane and intense, i'm sure i'll get around to that someday. nothing should ever be forced though, just a gradual incline into something you will do for the rest of your life.

Guest fiznuthian

Well fair enough.

I've been in and out of the gym this month doing both HIIT cardiovascular and HIIT resistance training.. powerlifting specifically.

Also been working on my muay thai strikes.

I continue to eat an ancestral diet of meat, veggies, fruits, and animal fats..

And every day I fast for 16+ hours.. sometimes 22 hours before eating, taking cold showers, then sleeping. On workout days I finish my workout THEN eat. I enjoy working out deep into a fast

To be honest, though I knew HIIT has a great track record in research, I didn't expect to become this powerful so fast.. I think intermittent fasting has a lot to do with it. I follow a protocol similar to Lean Gains.

I have a strong suspicion that eating so well (and at this point I simply don't eat anything else.. every day) has a lot do with my ability to keep punishing myself in the gym like I do.. At times I nearly vomit, sometimes I collapse, but it takes me a few minutes and i'm back on my feet doing more.

But yes, I have to admit you guys were right.. in retrospect, this may not be for everyone. Maybe i'm just fucking nuts or something but keeping the intensity so high I feel like i'm on the brink of death makes me feel very good. It takes a little bit but a euphoria kicks in, I suppose some kind of survival mechnism related to the fight or flight response. It's a very powerful feeling

Guest fiznuthian

i've also been eating a high-fat paleo diet for many months now (which I love!) and practicing intermittent fasting which seems to make me crave exercise.. honestly I still have absolutely no idea why this happens.. but I keep fasting regardless.

No dude, I wasn't terribly annoyed at you or anyone. Just was serious about the discussion and making sure that it's understood that things aren't that simple. Let's get some Tribes going sometime finally. Like you said, that work out plan works for you combined with a strict paleo diet and intermittent fasting. Something most people don't want to do. Having a really really good diet can be expensive, boring and really mentally straining.

I will probably be looking for faster ways to maintain my health, muscle strength and speed once I'm at my goal. Then I will be taking your advice on extreme short workouts which I will probably do 3 times a week still though.

My energy levels and my health are dramatically improved from working out almost every day. I'm pretty set that I have the right work out plan for me currently the next month or so. I'm shifting my diet to be more paleo, I'm getting more pumped about having a radically low body fat and in turn I'm finally getting a lot more disciplined about my diet.

Hey man, no hard feelings here. Would love to play some Tribes with ya, perhaps this week we should hop on. I'll pm you my email so we can add up.

Glad to hear you are having lots of success. I'm also glad that you busted my balls here, because it did hit me hard a little.. I had to step back and reevaluate myself and how I communicate with people. Make no mistake you changed me a bit both here on WATMM and my personal life.

Are you enjoying the paleo diet? It was tough for me at first but i'm almost a year in deep. I do lots of reading science on pubmed and google scholar to try and figure out what has happened, but I think something in my brain has changed significantly. I have suspicions this is strongly related to hypothalmic reward, the pleasure center. The desire to snack, the desire to eat any nutritionally poor food, or eat anything else has gone entirely. But I don't remember it being this easy before.. I used to break down and binge on food I was denying myself over and over and over.. Now having tried fasting I don't think I will ever stop this for the rest of my life, I simply feel too good and it's completely changed how I enjoy my meals late in the night.. all 5000 calories of them. ;) I find myself gorging on vegetables I used to find disgusting.

So where do you stand now and what are your goals? Sounds like you're meeting them already. Sounds like you're leaning out, which is super exciting

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Gary C

Good find.

My girlfriend has recently just bought a fancy set of weighing-scales, and although it's obvious I'm not overweight (I have girls wrists) I've been getting increasingly frustrated with my beer-belly.

According to the scales I'm on the lowest healthy threshold of the body-fat index and just a little below my recommended water-mass.

So losing my belly and gaining more muscle should be pretty simple for me. I don't eat badly, but I should drink more milk and water, eat more fruit and do those squats and weights at the bottom of the infographic. Now I need some good weather to motivate me.

Archived