IGNORED

Premier League Season 2011-2012

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

crazy stuff. it's clichéd (clichy-d!) but the sending off did change the game... but not really due to the numerical advantage but just to United's attitude. Players were still trying to plough forward, Rooney went from average to awful, his touch disappeared and he was left plugging gaps. Welbeck was too isolated and since Fletcher's bad AIDS the centre midfield is far too sluggish. Once it was 3-0 they should have shut up shop, gone 4-5-0 and kept it respectable.

On the flip side, Citeh were magnificent, although their defence was untested really.

Milner - Toure - Barry - Silva >>>>>>>>>> Nani - Fletcher - Anderson - Young (and that's even with Citeh carrying Barry).

Yeah, the scoreline is deceptive. City scored three goals in added time, so look at it seriously and the gap between the teams is only 3-1.

Of course it was still awesome to watch though, and you're right, United went for broke with ten men and rightly got stung.

At 3-0 down it's a bad loss, but not embarassing, but when Fletcher scored United thought an epic comeback was on the cards and forgot about defending. Especially Ferdinand, he was abysmal in the last 10 minutes. Clearly lacking fitness at that stage of the game and so late in his career he couldn't keep up with City's attacking substitutes and neglected to look after the two inexperienced defenders beside him (Jones and Smalling).

City deserve their plaudits, though. It was an impressive performance. Frightening really when you consider that if they keep up this form and play like that more often then nothing can stop them winning the PL and maybe the CL within the next 5 years. Mancini deserves credit for squashing the Tevez chaos quickly and continuing to keep up a hard work ethic.

I read last season that Tevez is often lazy in training (saving himself for match-day, undoubtedly one of the reasons Ferguson wasn't crazy about him), but one of Mancini's first actions as manager was to build a gruelling sprint track on the training ground; where players run up and down gritted hills to hone power and stamina. It's that kind of attitude that will provide the back-bone of a star-studded team. For all the flair and creativity upfront it's a solid and powerful core that will get a team across the finish line. Chelsea had it whilst they were winning things. It's clear that Arsenal haven't had it since Vieira. And United almost always have it (maybe less so this season).

Crazy game. No decent defending ideas on either side, just personal errors (and Van Persie admittedly being a class act) made the difference.

Love to see Terry face down on the pitch though. Whadda cunt.

christ that was an exciting match. lol yeah defense not on the cards at all. Djourou should never be on the pitch for you lot. And Santos should be a winger. He was abysmal in defence - not enough pace.

Van Persie though. damn. You guys better keep him....

What do you think about Gervinho? I'm still entirely sold on him, but i guess it's still early days for him in the premiership...

christ that was an exciting match. lol yeah defense not on the cards at all. Djourou should never be on the pitch for you lot. And Santos should be a winger. He was abysmal in defence - not enough pace.

Van Persie though. damn. You guys better keep him....

What do you think about Gervinho? I'm still entirely sold on him, but i guess it's still early days for him in the premiership...

His finishing doesn't look very good at all, but his dribbling and ability to attack the touchline are skills we've been missing. Nasri would only occasionally feel it necessary to dance through a defensive line, but Gervinho wants to do it every time.

For Lille he worked with (and was probably made to look better by) Eden Hazard, so I'd guess he's better as a tricky provider than an out-and-out goalscorer. He's looking happier and more confident with every game. In his first few games I think he was worried when, only a few weeks after he had signed, our two most exciting midfielders left.

Unfortunately, like Song, he'll go missing during the African Cup of Nations, so we really need decent cover. Park Chu-Young looked good in the Carling Cup. But Chelsea was too crazy a game for him or Oxlade-Chamberlain to make an appearance. I'd bet that they both start a league game before Christmas though.

Djourou isn't horrific. He was technically being played out of position against Chelsea, although admittedly he's not much better in the centre. He's a useful utility player in that sense, but he won't get near the starting line-up once Sagna, Mertesacker (Koscielny) and Vermalaen get a string of games together.

Santos is just embarassing. I would at least say it was a nice finish, but really Cech was at fault for at least 3 of our goals.

I'm excited for Park Chun-Young - I saw him play a few times in Korea when he played for FC Seoul. The potential was obvious from the start.

I really feel that Djourou is just a horrible liability for you lot. Too many fundamental errors for a defender. I like Koscielny-Vermalaen partnership more than Mertesacker-Vermalaen, Koscielny has really improved beginning in the second half of last season. Sagna is still out for another 2 months I think? Shame. You still need a left back - Clichy was good for you there, although he's improved his defensive discipline since playing under an Italian - shocking I know...lol

Anyone else getting bad vibes from this pre-season? I think it's going to be awful. the whole thing. Dkjghasldkfjhasdfasd

I'm actually amazed spurs are in 5th. And that people are calling them the most in-form London club. I was honestly we'd be having Liverpool's season right now, but hey, I'm happily surprised! What I think I'm most impressed by is the teams ability to really just grind out those 2-1 away games. Surely an indication of a growth in team mentality. Wish pavy would get on the pitch more.

and chen, the geordies are in 3rd, 3 points ahead of chelski

Anyone else getting bad vibes from this pre-season? I think it's going to be awful. the whole thing. Dkjghasldkfjhasdfasd

I'm actually amazed spurs are in 5th. And that people are calling them the most in-form London club. I was honestly we'd be having Liverpool's season right now, but hey, I'm happily surprised! What I think I'm most impressed by is the teams ability to really just grind out those 2-1 away games. Surely an indication of a growth in team mentality. Wish pavy would get on the pitch more.

and chen, the geordies are in 3rd, 3 points ahead of chelski

even better!

• 2 months later...

Manchester vs London. Gonna be a great day of football regardless of who wins.

City and Spurs have been playing at a crazy pace for the first 15mins of their game so far. Great to watch. I expect United-Arsenal to be a bit slower (both our midfields are in transition), but our leaky defence should make it just as thrilling.

Balotelli just can't stay away from controversy.

Stamps on Parker's face. It looked intentional to me. But doesn't get sent off or even carded.

Last 10 seconds of the game he earns and scores the winning penalty. Harry's gonna burst when he sees a replay of that stamp.

I just turned away from the City vs. Spurs game when they started scoring. This happens to me every single weekend.

And I didn't watch the entire Arsenal - United game.

I don't have the attention span for football anymore

My fucking nuts were tight for the 5 minutes of extra time at the end of our match. We should have put Van Persie and his boys away in the first half.

Really thought Savic was gonna lose it single handedly for Citeh, shame Defoe couldn't put that one away right at the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived