IGNORED

Tottenham riots

funkaholic

I thought the United Kingdom was a union. You know, a united...union.... Good luck telling a Scot that his country isn't a country. Bring a wee bag for your teeth.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.nickelint...common-in-1953/

off topic but seemed the most appropriate place to post, really great article on teddy boys

Good read. Hadn't realised teddy boys had started in Elephant. I was in a pub in Elephant recently when a load of old teddy boys came in. They put 'Minder' on the tv. Then a bunch of old east end gypsies came in for their fish supper. And then somebody got on the piano and predictably enough Lambeth Walk was belted out.

Im staying in Elephant this weekend, I am looking forward to eating some jellied eels in a pub similar to that you have mentioned.

Glad the riots have calmed down now so it doesnt effect my trip to the Oval for the cricket! [/selfish]

Guest Coalbucket PI

These days I always know exactly what Charlie Brooker is going to write about just by reading the news. It's alright but most of what he says has been said when he just comments on the biggest news stories

it's bad but i actually looked on gumtree and stuff to see if there were any bargains around. like hoody + trainers + ps3 + iphone bundle deals.

edit: er, i didn't find anything

Im staying in Elephant this weekend, I am looking forward to eating some jellied eels in a pub similar to that you have mentioned.

Glad the riots have calmed down now so it doesnt effect my trip to the Oval for the cricket! [/selfish]

get a double double pie n mash at Arments

funny that the british empire raped ,pillaged and colonized abroad as much of the world as they could for the longest time yet when something like this happens people/politicians are shocked and quick to hand out draconian measures

i know first hand what a mess they left in jamaica after 62

there was/is no infrastructure,corruption is rampant ,schools are shamefully lacking basic supplies etc

when the party was over and the royal colonizers were finished exploiting as much human/natural resources as they could -they just left in a hurry

not to worry one iota for the country's future -which was sadly shaped by the slavery hoisted upon them by the UK

furthermore on a metaphorical side note

i was basically sickened [as a yank outsider/observer] by all of the highly publicized excess' of the vomit inducing overblown over publicized royal wedding-funny hats included.

from a karmic standpoint i believe the riots were an inverse reaction [albeit a delayed one] to the royal wedding

Guest Coalbucket PI

I suppose you're right, perhaps karma was paying back the owners of that torched carpet shop for something bad someone else did hundreds of years before. It's only fair really, if they came from the same country.

BRITAIN'S festival of righteous indignation has finally resulted in someone being jailed because of tube socks.

Courts in riot-hit cities have been told to disregard the 'sentencing rule book' - or as some experts have called it, 'the law' - and imagine they are administering justice in the mid-14th Century. Sentencing 12 year-old Stephen Malley, Croydon magistrate Martin Bishop, said: "These are fine, decent young socks which you have no doubt defiled. Indeed, one dare not insert one's fingers for fear of what may lurk at the toe-end.

"In a perfect world I would be allowed to kill you right now with my bare hands, but it is not a perfect world and so the best I can do is sentence you to eight years in a medium-sized dog cage.

"You will also have your favourite pair of socks confiscated and given to your most hated enemy so that you may experience the same sense of loss and trauma as the institutional shareholders of JD Sports."

As Malley broke down screaming 'it's just a pair of socks, it's just a pair of socks', Bishop told him: "You should have known the consequences when you accepted these innocent socks as an evil gift.

"The fact that you are probably the first and last person to get eight years for stolen tube sock possession is easily the most irrelevant thing I have ever heard." But lawyer Tom Logan said: "Is a career criminal's carefully planned burglary really that different from opportunist sock handling? It's a complex issue, isn't it?

"But I suspect the new sentencing policy is not so much about differentiating between crimes as it is about sending a signal to poor people that they are no longer welcome. Something I am sure they will understand.

"Hopefully some of them will get their lives back on track and perhaps even become Members of Parliament who will steal £9000 from the taxpayer and get 14 minutes in an open prison that's probably nicer than some of the hotels they lied about staying in."

source

funny that the british empire raped ,pillaged and colonized abroad as much of the world as they could for the longest time yet when something like this happens people/politicians are shocked and quick to hand out draconian measures

i know first hand what a mess they left in jamaica after 62

there was/is no infrastructure,corruption is rampant ,schools are shamefully lacking basic supplies etc

when the party was over and the royal colonizers were finished exploiting as much human/natural resources as they could -they just left in a hurry

not to worry one iota for the country's future -which was sadly shaped by the slavery hoisted upon them by the UK

Although colonization was an abomination, the Brits, to their credit - abolished slavery in the 1830s, without a civil war.

The retributive sentencing the British magistrates are practicing is sickening. Someone should go riot down the courthouse.

BRITAIN'S festival of righteous indignation has finally resulted in someone being jailed because of tube socks.

that's gaoled. tah ;-]

(i'm entitled to at least one of these correction things per decade ;-p )

Guest Coalbucket PI

hundreds of years ago?

i guess my jamaican example did not compute

Not really no, not sure what connection you are trying to draw. You're saying you expected these riots to occur because of bad things perpetrated by the British empire in the past?

that's gaoled. tah ;-]

yeah... if you live in the middle ages or are Oscar Wilde

that's gaoled. tah ;-]

dleet man, you come out with the randomist things...

that's gaoled. tah ;-]

yeah... if you live in the middle ages or are Oscar Wilde

when i was being educated in the 80's that was how it was written. Also up until the late 90's and early 00's, it was the way most media in australia (and likely the UK) wrote it. Then with the rise of the net, there was a dramatic shift towards the US spelling. I suppose, that over time it had been planting it's seed in receptive minds, beginning with television in the 50's through things like cowboy serials and what not. And then with this current generation it was finally unleashed, as the old guard clinging to the true spelling receded. So the gates opened and the word jail, finally received it's get out of gaol card.

But i guess that's all, back in some far distant past to you young whippets of today, living in the second decade of the new millennium. -sie-

Archived