IGNORED

Favorite Bass Moments in Music History

dr lopez

Post your favorite bass moments in music history in this thread. This is not a favorite bass lines thread. This is for bass moments: specific instances when what you've determined to be the bass does something neat. And please don't post a youtube saying "pretty much the entire song is a bass moment hurr durr" cause that just wastes everyone's time.

These all have embedding disabled so just click the links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdcMHUh5yUw

Right at the start, that bass entrance given the context of the song :wang:

Fuck pretty much everything Paul Jackson does is an epic bass moment but right after the transition when he introduces that new groove. Holy fuck that's hot shit. He lets that low string ring while he quickly moves back to higher notes giving this great sustaining low tone for a bar.

And it would be totally remiss of me to not mention my favorite bass moment in Thriller.

The entire song has been built around this 6 note bass ostinato. But Quincy knows what the fuck he is doing, and right in the second verse there is that one classic change-up of the syncopation. And how powerful it is. And it remains powerful because it is never even referenced again. It's just its own brilliant little bass moment.

Dude. It's impossible to pick out of so many.

Here is a start...

PLAY THESE FUCKIN' LOUD!

[media='']

[/media]

@ 2:25- 3:15... The rinsed-out drums totally make it.

[media='']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqhU-FX5YrY[/media]

@ 3:00 - 3:22... The higher bass registers on a P.A. decimate all surrounding lifeforms and equipment.

[media='']

[/media]

The ultra-low bass registers like @ around 0:20 that show up sporadically. This clip's compression has almost completely squashed them to the point where you need to have it up super loud on good speakers to even tell its there.

at 1:51 (you've gotta wait for it, though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi5fVlVRous

The version of that drop on the Fabric 55 mix is amazing. It just keeps building and building for a few minutes, until the bass comes in. That's honestly my favorite part of the whole CD. Buncha times in my car I'd keep rewinding it just after the drop to hear the whole thing again.

Found it: track 6 "Operatic Waves" into track 7 "Closeness To Nature" are some kind of rework/remix of "Blood on my Hands". Can't hotlink, but check them out in a player somewhere if you don't already have this release. (you should)

Archived