IGNORED

CERN discovers FTL particle (possibly)

data

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Science exists with the sole purpose to make religion look silly!

Yes, they've found the God particle!!! It exists! There is proof! Hurrah!

Science - Religion: 1 - 0

Not really. This God is not a God which favors its worshippers over the non-believers. If God is a particle, religion will be overtaken by particle science.

Shazam! Evolution is back at work again.

Why do they insist on using "God particle" when referring to the Higgs, it's silly.

Not sure if true, but I read the origin lies with a scientist who was annoyed that the Higgs was so hard to find, that he jokingly called it "the goddamned particle" to a journalist. And the journalist thought to just go with this God thing. Most mainstream journalists tend to simplify science stuff anyway, and make it as sensational as possible. They don't care if it's accurate, I assume.

yeah godel is right, if god is a particle you don't have to get up for granny from your seat in the metro anymore. doomed we are

Hey, please leave me out of your metro mannerisms. Getting up for granny is good practice regardless of any God-particle.

CMS found a new boson at ~125 GeV with a 4.9 sigma, five sigma being the gold standard to call it confirmed. So basically one experiment has found a new boson that looks like the Higgs, but more data is needed.

ATLAS lady has the most awful slides, Comic Sans, really?!

yeah godel is right, if god is a particle you don't have to get up for granny from your seat in the metro anymore. doomed we are

Hey, please leave me out of your metro mannerisms. Getting up for granny is good practice regardless of any God-particle.

Hey I know that, you know that, but step back to see the big picture, whats outside watmm ? where ppl aren't ethical geniouses, and need good justifications to get up for granny, reeeeal good justifications, a particle can't give them.. the big picture man :spiteful:

In the new religion based on the Higgs Boson, every believer gets to carry a small version of the LHC. I'm sure that with a bit of tweaking we could be able to actually shoot photons at the non-believers. There might be a possibility that our enlightened version of how things should be will prevail.

*muahahahaha*

Guest Gary C

So what does it mean? Even faster computers in 10 years? Indistinguishable virtual reality? New medical processes and a cure for cancer? Time travel? New perfect energy source? Or atomising guns?

.. and all of the sudden everybody on my Facebook is interested in physics. Today they act like Stephen Hawking, fucking ridiculous .. they are fucking dimwits !!!!.

Anyways, this is a great humankind archivement and i bet physicist are really excited about the discovery. The commoners will have to wait a decade or two to see any technologies that might spawn from this research.

Archived