IGNORED

We are the Foundation

Atop

The first two points are enough. With those in place it would be logical if that would lead to better legislation of the markets.

The "greed is good" thing seems inherent to the entire stock market business. It is now and has always been. And that's exactly why it needs to be regulated.

Oh it definitely needs regulation no argument there - I've already said the States needs banking regulations like we have up here in Canada. The "greed is good" thing is from the 80s and it refers to the excessive greed that we see now. Obviously there has always been some greed - but before investments were seen as long term chances, and the stock market was really the place where money in search of investment met companies that needed start-up capital. The risk was in whether or not the company would succeed. The company was where the money was made. Nowadays the stock market itself is the instrument through which the money is made, and the investments are short-term and cuse these huge swings as day-traders chase bad money with good.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hell yeah man, micro trades are where it's at. People aren't even involved at times anymore. It's all algorithms predicting short-term trends and making nano-second decisions that would be impossible for people to jump on. If you can make hundreds of dollars at a time, a few thousand times a day it really starts to add up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-frequency_trading

Cops dressing like protesters in Oakland.

Makes it hard to believe the OPD when they say protesters were the ones causing trouble. And this is just a couple... How many were there that haven't been revealed?

Cops dressing like protesters in Oakland.

Makes it hard to believe the OPD when they say protesters were the ones causing trouble. And this is just a couple... How many were there that haven't been revealed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrvMzqopHH0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

What happened to serve and protect? Does this only apply to the rich?

CNN's news story asking if the Occupy Movement "WAS" effective or not is offensive, like many of their articles.

Thanks you for telling us when an event has become history CNN.

This is history in the making and not over yet.

Guest viscosity

While this may not address your particular questions, *SR4, I just watched it (therefore it's relevant, ta-derr) - and while I'm sure many OWS participants are already aware of these facts/this man,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ7LzE3u7Bw

note that i did not read all 12 pages of this shabang and may have missed this very video being posted elsewhere

i think i'm just going to pack my bags and move to Norway. they seem to know what they're doing

I work just a short walk from St. Paul's, so after work yesterday I took a stroll down to the Occupy LSX camp to see it with my own eyes.

What really struck me was how neat, clean and well-organised it seemed. It was so quiet that you don't even know it's there until you're right on top of it. There are wide, perfectly clear pathways straight through the middle of the camp and around the perimeter, so it's not causing any kind of obstruction. You can walk right up to the steps of the cathedral on both sides with no trouble whatsoever.

The police presence also seems very low-key and quite restrained - for now. But I've been on the receiving end of police anti-demo tactics before, so I'm not naive enough to believe that they won't crack out the batons as and when they decide to move the protesters on.

Hopefully, it won't come to that.

It's true but what does that make the wealthiest people in the world? They are actually 0.001% who hold all the wealth. It's sick.

wtf that doesn't make it right does it?

edit. and on top of that, it is far, far, far easier to actually do something about that now.

doesn't matter if it's right that's how it is and was and will be

the single thing that would stop the consolidation of power is complete transparency only now possible with current tech

doesn't matter if it's right that's how it is and was and will be

the single thing that would stop the consolidation of power is complete transparency only now possible with current tech

contradiction?

it would if i said "the single thing that *will*...".

should have said "the single thing that could stop the consolidation of power is complete transparency only now possible with current tech "

...anyway it's still sick. I didn't follow that comment. I dont want to second guess you. Are you saying this is the way it's supposed to be?

its a constant struggle between inequality and equality. it will never end.

but you are right, the struggle should be constant and consistant...the minute you relent, you give a little more ground...it is far harder for the "99%" to acheive equality than for the "1%" to acheive inequality.

i agree and i also agree that tech is the only thing that has any potential to catalyse (if that's the right word) serious change.

...anyway it's still sick. I didn't follow that comment. I dont want to second guess you. Are you saying this is the way it's supposed to be?

if you're asking me if i prefer this system of consolidated power, no i don't. i'm just making the point that human civ has operated from the top down since forever, and that just now in the past few hundred years have we considered things like relative freedom or equal representation. our society was built in such a way that it perpetuates this power system and assumes people are uninformed and sheep.

also making the point that new technology increases the amount of data gathered and puts it in public (or private, but accessible) places. everything stored electronically on some sort of network can be hacked, so this truth could lead to a more transparent government (wikileaks). wikileaks would not have been anywhere near as popular or as easily distributed if they were released before the internet. an informed public is the only thing that the "1%" should fear.

We really are developing a global conciousness with our technology... It's beautiful and scary all at the same time. I can't wait to see what the world is like in 50 years... I really do feel like we're crossing an event horizon, a huge moment in the history of human kind.

Archived