Herr Jan

Next month there will be another STRP festival in Eindhoven, the Netherlands. The festival takes place in het Klokgebouw and is one of the largest (also they say) festivals in music and technology in Europe. It features art-expo's, games, performance, etc. and will be held from friday 18 november till sunday 27 november. The lineup is also great, some names:

Aphex Twin

Amon Tobin

Rustie

LFO

Beardyman

Matthew Herbert

Speedy J + Chris Liebing (Collabs)

etc.

http://strp.nl/nl/

I was at the STRP Festival in 2009 with a lineup they'll never top (Ceephax, Vibert, Aphex with Hecker, Squarepusher, Vsnares, etc.), but this time I want to see more of the art, we kind of missed alot of that because we were in full party mode and arrived pretty late. Still I'll be going only on 26 november (Aphex, Amon Tobin, LFO, Beardyman and Rustie play all on that date).

Pretty stoked to see Aphex play for the 4th time, hopefully he'll do something special, but I guess it'll be a standard set. The visuals he did there in 2009 were brilliant + Hecker really added something in that room, on the contrary to the gig at the Dour festival.

Anyone else going?

Yeah, the price has increased a bit compared to 2009 I think, if Aphex didn't play I surely wouldn't have gone. The drinks and food are also not that cheap. But there are loads of expo´s from 13:00 and the concerts last till 06:00/07:00, and when comparing with other concerts I've been to lately (i.e. Godspeed You! Black Emperor a few month's ago: I paid 30+ euros, for one band, nothing more), it's not that bad.

Yeah it's not too bad, but I also live in Berlin and paying more than 12 euro for a night out - nobody would do it here. Maybe in 20 years, but we are so used to very low prices. But I think about going. Actually I wanted to attend that Rewire Festival (30 Euros for 2 days and exhibitions and electro-acoustic stuff... Rustie, Martyn, Walls and a whole more) but during that period there is so much stuff going on in Berlin that I will stay here. If I go to STRP, I will let you know. Where in the Netherlands do you live by the way?

Well, when typing that message yesterday, I was on my way to see Plastikman 1.5 in Amsterdam. I arrived at 00.00, had to stand in line for half an hour, saw Magda play with a soundsytem so weak that you could hear everyone talk through it and she was playing so uninspired, made no impact at all on the audience and she played for 2 hours. Then Richie played, soundsystem suddenly was ten times as loud, great show and everything but he only played for about 80 minutes. Then Marco Carola played after, which was pretty standard and boring, so we left.

Ticket price: 45 euro. I suddenly felt a deep appreciation for my STRP ticket.

Yeah it's not too bad, but I also live in Berlin and paying more than 12 euro for a night out - nobody would do it here. Maybe in 20 years, but we are so used to very low prices. But I think about going. Actually I wanted to attend that Rewire Festival (30 Euros for 2 days and exhibitions and electro-acoustic stuff... Rustie, Martyn, Walls and a whole more) but during that period there is so much stuff going on in Berlin that I will stay here. If I go to STRP, I will let you know. Where in the Netherlands do you live by the way?

I live in Schagen, one hour up north from Amsterdam, so for STRP we have to wait for the first train which is about 8 in the morning, and then travel for about 3 hours home. Yeah, Rewire, STRP and State-X New Forms are all relatively new media festivals that are top notch. I'll also be going to a small festival with the same intentions which is called Moving Buildings, Biosphere and Funckarma will play there, will be awesome as well (and for those two artists I pay only 14 euro hehe). I'm going to Berlin in may or something, hoping I'll get to go to Tresor and such. If you have any recommendations (record shops or anything music-related) let me know.

Mh Tresor is pretty fucked up these days.. maybe ten years ago this was a place to go.

Check out Horst Kreuzberg, Gretchen, Icon (although the location is terrible, but they have a great booking) and of course the still mighty Berghain.

Yeah the prices in the Netherlands are crazy in general. I lived in Den Haag for a month so I experienced a little bit.

I'll be going to this on the 26th. I hope it'll be a bit smaller . I went a year or 2 ago when Aphex played as well and it was huge and a bit overcrowded. I presume Amon Tobin wont have his cube projection installation with him?

Rewire, STRP and State-X New Forms are all relatively new media festivals that are top notch.

Damn, Den Haag has some amazing expo's/festivals this year...

I'll also be going to a small festival with the same intentions which is called Moving Buildings, Biosphere and Funckarma will play there, will be awesome as well (and for those two artists I pay only 14 euro hehe).

I saw Biosphere in Brussels (TodaysArt another festival from Den Haag) a month ago and he played a fantastic audiovisual set. I was very impressed.

Guest LbbHGiKq

Amon Tobin does do ISAM live show, so I guess he will have his cube projection with him.

For sure I hope he does, since it is a great show with the cube projection

Archived