IGNORED

antidepressants

oyster

also st johns wort + 5htp may/will give you serotonin syndrome - which is bad shit (sleeplessness, palpitations etc)

Actually I'm pretty sure it can't. I know st johns wort is an ssri and mixing most ssris with 5-HTP can cause serotonin syndrome, I researched fairly thoroughly and it seems the verdict is st johns wort and 5-HTP is fine.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't have anhedonia then you probably don't have depression at best you may have the severe blues. Now mood swings can be dealt with but the issue comes when you're not able to lift your mood via normal day activities. Also there are many things that come with depression many physical side effects such as headaches, reflux and sharp stinging pains and of course those dark dark dips in mood. Not only that but depression triggers the brain's pain receptors which is no surprise. And depression has many different degrees and stages and is not the same for everyone.

As for medication its not a simple suck and see with anti depressants. SSRIs especially can be very very nasty when you break into them of course it does depend on the dose. If a Doctor prescribes SSRIs be sure to ask them about having some benzos such as Lorazepam to hand to counteract the breaking in period should you need them.

Now my personal view is that SSRIs aren't that great for a number of reasons. The first and most significant reason is that they mess with your libido or more specifically the functional aspect of orgasiming. Also they don't tend to deal or halt so well with the 'pain' aspects of depression. I don't think they should be prescribed as a first line medication. I think Mirtazapine is far far better as it deals with a lot of the 'pain' aspects of depression and doesn't tend interfere as much with one's libido. I believe it should be prescribed over and above Zoloft, Citalapram etc.

Now of course for anti depressants to be effective you gotta be in a pretty bad place to start with. Anti depressants aren't suppose to give you a high - they're there to enable you to function normally, get through the day and get on with your life.

As for therapy it has been shown that talk therapy is pretty ineffective for depression. CBT on the other hand has a much higher success rate. Of course it depends on the individual's situation and degree of their depression.

Sport is good as it releases endorphins. It may well be that the slump that folks have felt after excercise is because they have a big hit of feel good chemicals and so you get a post 'downer'. However try not too worry about it too much. Sometimes you'll feel good after excercising and sometimes you won't. Don't let bad experiences guide what you do in life. The brain is far short of logically so just accept that sometimes you'll feel good from something and sometimes you won't.

Ultimately my advice is keep very active, keep doing, hang out with your friends and try to avoid analysis and remunation.

Hope all that hopes and don't be too hard on yourself.

Bless.

also st johns wort + 5htp may/will give you serotonin syndrome - which is bad shit (sleeplessness, palpitations etc)

Actually I'm pretty sure it can't. I know st johns wort is an ssri and mixing most ssris with 5-HTP can cause serotonin syndrome, I researched fairly thoroughly and it seems the verdict is st johns wort and 5-HTP is fine.

5htp and Citalapram gives you a high - no negatives thoughts at all. In reality you can't live on a high for too long as there are consequences. I know too that there haven't been any studies to say that St John's Wort and 5htp would result in Serotonin Syndrome but why take a risk which could potentially end your life?

I have bipolar disorder among other things, so I'm on a couple anti-depressent and anti-psychotic meds. It seems to be working with me so I'll continue taking them. It took a couple different prescriptions until I found the right thing for myself. I still get depressed, but not nearly as much as before I was taking meds. Talk to your doctor about it and see what he/she can do for you. There are lots of options out there without scary side-effects. If my meds stop working for me I may move up to taking lithium, which has scary side-effects. So I'm really hoping that I don't build an immunity to my current meds. I take cymbalta, olanzapine, and seroquel for bipolar and ocd. then i take gabapentin(neurontin) and tec 3 codine pills for my fibro myalgia. Also I take tecta for a nasty case of acid reflux. So I'm on a bunch of different meds. And you know what? They're working pretty well. My point is, don't be afraid of taking meds. Try it out, if it works, then great. If they don't work, then move on to trying something else. But keep going and staying active in finding a solution. Remember that everyone is different with different reactions to meds. So don't get discouraged if the first few prescriptions don't work. Keep at it. I hope things get better for you.

btw, how old are you?

Interesting combo you're on mate. I've never come across someone taking two anti psychotics at the same time. A good friend of mine is on Olanzapine. I think anti psychotics definitely can 'cause side effects though. My friend was on Rispiridone monthly injection which caused involuntary muscle movements and he couldn't keep still and felt numbness all over. Have to say he coped with it well and is a real star. Now he's taking Olanzapine all that has gone though so that's good!

Been reading up on an interesting book lately: The Emperor's New Drug. It's basically about research about the (non)effectiveness of anti-depressants. Conclusion: anti-depressants are as effective as active placebo's (active in the sense that they have the same/similar side-effects as anti-depressants. The most fucked up thing is that the most important theory behind the effectiveness of anti-depressants is completely unfounded. The theory is supposed to be that depression is 'caused' by a lack of certain chemicals in your brain. Well, if that were the case, one could argue that headaches are caused by a lack of paracetamol as well.

A large part of the book is about how it could be that although medical research is heavily regulated, it is still possible to be potentially completely rubbish.

Face it. If they work, it's a placebo thing. So you might want to consider some cheaper alternatives.

http://www.amazon.co...23563382&sr=8-1

Yes and no. While to a large part I agree with what you're saying. Anti depressants can take a person from the point of death to survival. Not only that they will take the edge off what can otherwise be very harmful thoughts and moods. For Severe Depression that is you're unable to sleep, have anhedonia, panic attacks, unable to concentrate, loss of appetite, hellish moods and suicidial ideation you need medication definitely! For slight depression I'd say its a different story.

However a very important point is that sometimes being on anti depressants although they may appear not to make you feel back to your old self they could actually be preventing you from getting a lot worse!!

Incidentally they've discovered that part of Placebo effect is linked to cannabinoids. And what is currently banned as prescription medicine for depression amongst other things - Cannibis!

im certainly not seeking proof, Pod. If someone says they are depressed, I take it at face value.

Problem is that the term 'being depressed' is totally overused and that's where a lot of the misunderstanding comes from from normal folks. Normal folks think being depressed is being down and feeling a bit blue. They relate it to their experience - hell we all do. Reality is they don't have a fucking clue. Depression is like a living hell.

I think this is probably a typical result of having mental illness, no matter which coping strategy you find - it gives you a window into a whole new world of insight. You are suddenly a member of a different tribe than you were before, the tribe of the malfunctioning...I remember when I first started getting panic attacks and I was at a party trying to talk to a friend and my brain was unable to filter out all the clashing stimuli it normally filters out automatically...it was a truly enlightening experience, as potent or more potent than any psychedelic trip, where I realized "holy shit, the brain does so many fucking things in the background automatically that we all take for granted!" I felt I almost had a 3D view of how the brain catches and filters background noise, neighboring conversations, etc and how in my case they were getting past this and piercing into my nerve center...of course while I was having this "aha" moment I was hiding in the bathroom...lol...

I'm totally the opposite I don't wanna know. For me depression just makes me become aware of things I don't wanna become aware of. Of course there are levels of awareness which are fine and there are levels which ain't.

seems to me idm music makes people suicidal. i bet you there arent any depressed people over at dubstepforums.co.uk

There has to be some way we an test this hypothesis scientifically...

seems to me idm music makes people suicidal. i bet you there arent any depressed people over at dubstepforums.co.uk

I completely disagree, I think idm is a comfort to people with damaged/different minds. True story: I had a drug overdose that really fucked me up (led to my depression, panic attacks, etc) and afterwards, I couldn't listen to any music but IDM. Prior to the drug overdose I was deep in a jazz phase and I loved Jazz and Motown vocalists. After the overdose, I literally couldn't stand any form of singing. I still can't, that part of my brain is completely defunct now (the overdose was 16 years ago!). Somehow the overdose changed my brain chemistry and the only thing I can listen to with any amount of pleasure is electronic music...if I listen to anything with vocals, no matter how lovely, I just find it grating

I completely disagree, I think idm is a comfort to people with damaged/different minds.

yeah i discovered idm on the tail end of a long depressive period (with effexor) and it was a huge mood lift. at that point i was getting so utterly bored of music. after that, the next 2-3 years of my life were filled with exciting new things.

I do react and relate differently to music and sound in general than most people I run into though as well. (For example, I don't hear a sound or piece of music and say 'that's scary!' the concept of sound in and of itself being scary doesn't even make sense to me and i tend to have to restrain myself to avoid mockery when other people react that way.) I think I'm just kind of wired for raw sound, and rhythm (eg I love Ghanaian drumming) and the combo of texture and rhythm in IDM seals the deal.

i don't know if i've ever been clinically depressed, but i have had a very rough and shitty life. i have tourette's syndrome, and usually suffer more from anxiety and physical pain than depression, but i feel for you depressed folks and hope you can patch things up!

for me, marijuana is kind of a wonder drug, but it seems like it only works that way for a select few, so i can't just recommend it to everybody. i agree very much with the comment that drugs are better used to augment naturally happy moments then to escape from depression.

generally, i am depressed when my life is out of control. the more i can feel in control of the world around me, the happier i am. maybe this is my advice, then - try to be in control of more situations. interact more with the people around you and steer the conversations you have more in the direction you want them to go. if you're stuck in a social situation you don't like, make suggestions about changing it. this has always been one of the biggest hurdles for me - mustering the confidence to speak my mind openly and take control of a situation. when i'm capable of that, it's the best feeling i know.

I completely disagree, I think idm is a comfort to people with damaged/different minds. True story: I had a drug overdose that really fucked me up (led to my depression, panic attacks, etc) and afterwards, I couldn't listen to any music but IDM. Prior to the drug overdose I was deep in a jazz phase and I loved Jazz and Motown vocalists. After the overdose, I literally couldn't stand any form of singing. I still can't, that part of my brain is completely defunct now (the overdose was 16 years ago!). Somehow the overdose changed my brain chemistry and the only thing I can listen to with any amount of pleasure is electronic music...if I listen to anything with vocals, no matter how lovely, I just find it grating

So if we rewrite the hypothesis to there being a relationship between having a tendency for depression and having a fondness for IDM, we can all completely agree?

Please keep causality out of the discussion, by all means. The correlation seems obvious though, but not very strong. Given the current use of antidepressants in the US alone, IDM-producers should have been superstars ala Timberlake by now. Obviously they're not.

But this doesn't make us any less different/damaged though. ;p

I don't think there's much correlation. Perhaps those into IDM are a bit more introspective however folks get depression from all walks of life. I mean I was cool for 32 years before it hit me and I've been into electronic music for as long as I can remember.

Ha, after my first wave of depression (which looking back on it was very minor in comparison to the second one but still very difficult for me at the time) I got into electronic music. I wasn't aware of its existence, I thought it was all shit like Darude or something.

While I think me liking electronic music RIGHT AFTER getting through a depressive time is a coincidence, I think there are other correlations. This whole community of people has a buttload of similarities that goes a lot farther than liking electronic music, depression seeming to be one of them.

a psychologist i saw about 10 years ago who tried very hard to get me on lithium (going as far as setting me up with a psychiatrist he knew). I refused and never went back to him. I just thought it was strange from only one session he gathered that Lithium is what i needed, and no other suggestions of any more mild anti depressants.

i think everyone here knows Coca-cola used to have actual cocaine in it, but i dont think many people know of this...

7-up-lithiated-soda.jpg

a psychologist i saw about 10 years ago who tried very hard to get me on lithium (going as far as setting me up with a psychiatrist he knew). I refused and never went back to him. I just thought it was strange from only one session he gathered that Lithium is what i needed, and no other suggestions of any more mild anti depressants.

i think everyone here knows Coca-cola used to have actual cocaine in it, but i dont think many people know of this...

7-up-lithiated-soda.jpg

I knew.

Guest viscosity

i have a gf who is on zyprexa and some other antidepressant I forget... she's beautiful but very overweight due to the meds. she would be allot more attractive if she lost some pounds, but the meds work for her so I can see why she would be afraid to change them.

bit high right now, but when i remember what she takes i'll ask about it here

Archived