IGNORED

Chicagoland

SR4

1. This is a late Chicago summer, not a Chicago winter. You have no idea.

2. I can't believe you came to Chicago to eat Jimmy John's. That's like going to New York City to eat Subway.

3. If you go to the Hancock building and want food afterward, go to the food court on the 7th (I believe?) floor of Macy's, where you can get a dick-splitting torta from Frontera Fresco or whatever it's called. Seriously, it made diarrhoeaea come out of my dick.

jimmy johns was cheap and quick. i regret nothing.

i do have an idea, Korea had a particularly rough winter when I was there. I scoff at Chicago's self righteousness at surviving harsh climates.

we had lunch at Signature and it was pretty fucking good. Thick cut bacon on caramelized onion flatbread...fucking best bacon I have EVER had....the fat melted like cream in my mouth. then followed that up with a thai chicken salad and my butt was shitting out pure heaven later today.

we had lunch at Signature and it was pretty fucking good. Thick cut bacon on caramelized onion flatbread...fucking best bacon I have EVER had....the fat melted like cream in my mouth. then followed that up with a thai chicken salad and my butt was shitting out pure heaven later today.

for real dude. ever have a meal so good you just sit there and think "god I can't wait to taste my shit later?"

for real dude. ever have a meal so good you just sit there and think "god I can't wait to taste my shit later?"

fred, ive known you on here for a while, but I think after that Dionysian experience im about ready to say we can tackle Zeus's delicious blue spooge cake together and laugh as we reminisce about how truly mindblowing it was as we break down its greatness into 5 discreet categories of cumworthy taste orgasms.

Anyone in Chicago should eat the flatbread at Signature Lounge....if you are a Chicago native and you have not consumed this delicious bacon-cum fest you are officially a faggot (in the most ignorant and and homophobic sense that could possibly be rendered from such an insult).

and on that note, me and the boys went out barhopping tonight at Bucktown and Damen and ended up drinking some fine Allagash at what might very well be the gayest bar in town...and I mean that in a good, non-homophobic nice way...but goddamn were we out of place. Great garlic aioli though.

Blue Line Lounge. Turns out it wasn't a gay bar, but there were a lot of same-sex couples there that night.

I think I was really drunk when I wrote that above...we had the garlic aioli at Floyds.

Guest Deep Fried Everything

nah, Al's Italian Beef is better than Portillo's.

jus' sayin'

encey: go, AS SOON AS YOU CAN, go.

From sini:

- first of all, fuck portillo's... if you want to overpay for a mediocre hot dog/meal in a place that's got so much superficial chicago shit plastered on the walls you'd think they're trying way too hard, go there... but if you want a proper chicago hot dog experience on the grub side of the balance (as opposed to gourmet), check out gene and jude's.... now it's going to require a car to get there cuz it's technically suburban, it's on des plaines river rd by either belmont or grand... for $5ish you can get two hot dogs wrapped in fries that will stain your clothes because of the grease. now THAT'S a fucking chicago hot dog spot that you can tell ppl about.

- mr. greek gyros @ halsted/jackson (UIC/halsted blue line stop) is a 24/7/365 gyro place in "greektown" that will serve you a kickass gyro at 6am if thats what you want. get sauce only like a boss, and if you order anything else there you're a moron... the sign says mr. greek gyros: if you ask me how their pizza puffs are i'm liable to smack you... be sure to check out the post-barhopping crowd @ 3am when the line goes to the door to get some of these divinely mandated gyros.

- record shops.... trust me on this one, a place you'll love is kstarke records @ division/western (its on western ave just south of the subway on that side of the street) --- its a mom-n-pops 1-off record store run by a good man who owns a 303... i've gone in there and slapped $100 on the table like "i need disco records" and a 25+ year vet of the DJ game will go and pick out a bunch of shit and end up giving me like $25 of shit for free... i got my chicago trax records shirt there. there's a lot of turnover on used records there, and while some of the franchise/y record stores (reckless records, gramaphone, etc) are good, this one has that down-home feel.

- oh yeah, gramaphone on clark st right by diversey is a LONGTIME place to get records... seriously it was THE record store when i was an adolescent. there's tons of "underground" chicago rap and stuff, a hearty heaping helping of techno drum and bass and all of that, and i've nabbed MANY aphex twin/SP/etc records there.... shit they had ceeland one time i was over there. i got my 2 remixes by afx 12" there on a day when i was driving there thinking "i want the 2 remixes by afx 12" and its an institution... like i said, many underground chicago rappers cosign stuff there so it's worth it. (belmont red/purple/brown line stop... then walk due south on clark street til you get there. it's across from the mall/theatres/etc)

- reckless records --- another good record shop with two locations... one is on broadway ave right in the neighborhood with gramaphone (a nice double-dip to make) and the other is in wicker park on milwaukee ave right by milwaukee/north/damen (damen blue line stop) -- they've got a good flow of new/used records going through and they'll special order. one time @ the milwaukee ave location i was looking through their "drum and bass" records and found squarepusher's vic acid 12" in near mint condition for $10. i walked down the street dumbfounded muttering "i've got vic acid... i've got vic acid... oh my god i've got vic acid (the first SP i ever heard)" and some presumably-undercover-cop guy cornered me in a local convenience store claiming that i bunked him on acid a few days earlier and therefore i had to hook him up with some acid now b4 he got pissed. i managed to GTFO of there cuz he was rounding up reinforcements to jack me (either street ppl or other UC/cops) --- wicker park is a totally laminated neighborhood with is all formally yuppie now... i know if you're an elegant hipster and you want a nice GENTRIFIED bar with asian food there's rodan for you. hell, sometimes CHICAGO'S VERY OWN flahbulb does dj sets there under his civilian name bennnnn jordan.

- check out the rainbo club @ division/damen. dont let the name fool you, its not a gay bar.... its a bar in the heart of trendyyuppieville that didnt go out and buy a shit-ton of giant HDTVs and other crap so they don't have to charge you $6 for a decent beer... for the longest time they've had $2 PBRs and $3.75 shots of johnnie walker black label: THAT'S RIGHT, for under $6 you can get a PBR on tap and a shot of johnnie walker black in the middle of overpriced gentrified yuppie hell.... usually circa ~10-11pm the female talent starts coming in and the place often gets really really filled up cuz they're the one cool spot that doesnt jack you for drink prices, and usually by midnight-1am the place is LOADED with eligible genome recepticles who are sorely lacking the YOUR-NAME-HERE experience. get crackin.

- now, lets say you've been out drinking late night in the wickerpark/bucktown/ish area and you don't want the party to end.... but many bars close @ 2am.... so what do you do?! ding! go to the continental @ chicago/california (chicago redline stop, then take the chicago bus west to california, which is right past western) -- this place has a license to print $$$ -- in fact it somewhat-recently bought out and opened up a 2nd floor upsairs cuz many times @3am the downstairs would be A FUCKING MEATMARKET packed as hell. many many many people including plenty of bitches who wanna keep the party going end up there, so there's ample talent for you to discover. i had friends who used to DJ there one saturday a month so i can vouch for the staff ambiance and whatnot... the bouncers might be a bit gruff, but the place is ther efor a reason. that late @ night it's either the continental or the blue note (i forget what its called now) over @ milwaukee/north/damen for your late late night needs.

- other honorable mentions that i can vouch for: the gold star on division ave, not too far from the division blue line and a ~4-6 block walk down the street from rainbo club. personally i hate the staff there, they kicked me out for being able to convince some soulless yuppie heifer flirting with me that i was a bonafide time traveler. they'd get freaked out when i'd neglect all of the bitches there and work on rhymes with a notebook and my headphones on (as a gimmick it works. trust me) but that place is a bit more stuck up and pretentious than rainbo club, drinks are a bit more... but they have pool tables and a bit more prestigious yuppie/hipster crowd. talent is noteworthy hence why i mention it. if you want a beersnob joint try quenchers @ western/fullerton (western blueline stop. walk due north on western appx ~4-6 blocks til you're there) --- not much for ambiance however their beer selection is amazing... they used to have these legendary samplers where you'd get a t-shirt and shit, and i mean, fuck, i hung out there with rapper louis logic, aka the durnken dragon, after he played a show @ loyola in 01/02... that man knows his beer and quenchers doesnt let you down.

another str8up yuppie beer/wine-snob place i can vouch for is the sheffield tap @ school/sheffield in wrigleyville (belmont red/brown/purple line stop) --- they have 58billion types of beer and wine, but the staff is cool.... it's upper-echelon yuppiebitch talent, and like, put it this way... when you're drinking there (and they always have one of their beers as a $4-beer-of-the-month special) and you order a sandwich you don't have to ask them for the water to go with the sandwich... it comes automatically. they know whats up, and that place has been very good and generous to me despite my general aura as being some sort of a savage. much respect for that spot.

- if you want to follow in the footsteps of vince vaughn from that one movie and go to a superhipsterspot, there's skylark @ halsted/cermak. i reckon you'd either walk from the cermak/chinatown redline stop (walk through chinatown under the viaduct... fuck i think you're heading west) or the UIC/halsted blueline stop (walk due north... it's a bit of a walk, but you'll see UIC and the smoldering remains of "jewtown" which was turned into a supperyuppie playground for the expensive condos and new residentail dorms for university of ill @ chicago) --- my friend swore by that place... they're good and affordable but the talent isn't as good as the other places i've mentioned. if you wanna be hipster as fuck tho, shit, i'd bet $$$$ that benn jordan has spent some nights out with friends there, so like there you have it. i remember it having awesome burgers for ~$5-6 or thereabouts.

- there;s a really cool video game store on harlem ave by foster ave or thereabouts... fuck i forget it's name, but its within a reasonable distance from the harlem blue line stop. LOTS of old archaic shit and OG systems (like if you want colecovision games they've got you faded)

OH SNAP MAN, if you love videogames look up hte galloping ghost arcade and go there... you pay $15 for unlimited play, but that place is THE FUCKING JOINT in terms of str8up video game stuff... they take a lot of current xbox360/ps3 games and set them up in proper arcade consoles so there's new games... and all kinds of proper vintage/refurbished/nice-joysticks old games... they have a street figher (1) arcade machine. ever seen one of those?! ididnt think so. man you can get high as shit and go there adn just jam out for hours on end. HIGHLY RECCOMENDED. its in the west burbs so like you'll need a car to go there, but if you like video games, its easily one of the best arcades in america. no bullshit.

what else... hrmmmmm. OH SNAP, if you dont have church's chicken where you're from try them. i'd send you to uncle remus' chicken on madison ave for some proper bird, but thats kind of ghetto so idk if you'd dig it. many many people swear by harold's the chicken king on milwaukee ave down the street from reckless records, so if you desire to pursue THE ITIS, some peeps in chicago know how to fry a damn bird.

there's a make-your-own-tshirt spot on milwaukee ave down the street from reckless (by the old burgerking) who have made me my trouble funk, JAMs, and TRON shirts. it takes ~2-3 days t oget a custom shirt made (for $20-25) so you might not have time for it, but they rock.

OH SHIT, i almost forgot... there's a record shop called dave's which is on clark street just south of diversey (a little past and across the street from the mcdonalds) i've caught a shit-ton of stuff there... they've had the ultravisitor LP on vinyl, hello everything, and their rap record selection is excellent... even the SUPERIDMS. lots of used stuff there... a definite spot worth hitting. hell, i caught del tha funkee homosapien's i wish my brother george was here 4x12" repress there... i got my cool poster of the LP cover with del in an expos hat which now adourns my wall. proper.

ummmmmm what else? i know there's 58 billion more bars and stuff i could recommend, but at this point i'm turn9ing into a sinicalyptical caricature of tl;dr so i'll stop. i told eleminoP to PM you my phone # so hollar at a motherfucker if you've got the balls... i'd love to crack a beer with you, you could meet an ex-LTM (which is in and of itself a total paradox that threatens the very existence of reality) and fuck if you're here on weds the 11th there could be some com truise in your future. i'll even see if chris the acidphakist wants to come out and play.

From sini:

-

- oh yeah, gramaphone on clark st right by diversey is a LONGTIME place to get records... seriously it was THE record store when i was an adolescent. there's tons of "underground" chicago rap and stuff, a hearty heaping helping of techno drum and bass and all of that, and i've nabbed MANY aphex twin/SP/etc records there.... shit they had ceeland one time i was over there. i got my 2 remixes by afx 12" there on a day when i was driving there thinking "i want the 2 remixes by afx 12" and its an institution... like i said, many underground chicago rappers cosign stuff there so it's worth it. (belmont red/purple/brown line stop... then walk due south on clark street til you get there. it's across from the mall/theatres/etc)

That is where I got Big Loada when that shit first dropped. I heard it on the new release wall and it blew my mind.

Back in the rave days, they used to have a jungle clearence bin. I found an assload of classic Suburban Base 12"s for next to nothing. Chicago house snobs didn't know a good thing when it was right under their nose. lucky for me ;)

That was also when Aero/Untitled was a tiny shop just down the block. lots o memories. O, all the jungle mixtapes, phat pants and XXXXL shirts I bought from those guys.

damn wow....many thanks to sini...shouldhave asked earlier.

unfortunately i will be leaving early on the 10th, id have loved to go see some live acts too...my party isn't too keen on anything other than traditional tourist fare.

In that case, you're in luck. There's a Portillo's on State Street and (I believe) Ontario, right across from the gymormous McDonald's.

Hit that shit. Get a Big Beef with extra juice and hot peppers... and tell em Jefferoo sent ya ;)

Archived