IGNORED

New York City

YEK

you and i had vastly different experiences of nyc then.

the one negative thing i can think of would be how dirty it was in general, and it smelled pretty bad too (granted, it was in the middle of summer during a heatwave, but still).

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah smoke everywhere, the air is filthy, just like the food. And let me tell you that example i gave wasnt isolated, similar episodes happend to me in diferent places.

I ate well in some places, but the prices were inflated too.

this may have something to do with it:

sweden vs us

http://www.numbeo.co...2=United+States

portugal vs us

http://www.numbeo.co...2=United+States

no idea how accurate those are though, but yeah.

didnt know the prices were so inflated in sweeden

btw there was also lack of quality in almost every service.....

im reading those stats in detail and its not accurate at all in some parts

What troubles me the most is the giant leap of life quality between the social classes.

lol dude you can't be for real. I can't tell if you're trolling or retarded but either way you are young and naive. I mean that in the most respectful way possible. NYC is amazing because it is completely open and you can make it what you need to make it. but it has it's own energy which is undeniable and it smacks you in the face when you walk up from the subway. whether you go once or 10,000 times, it hits you.

What troubles me the most is the giant leap of life quality between the social classes.

lol dude you can't be for real. I can't tell if you're trolling or retarded but either way you are young and naive. I mean that in the most respectful way possible. NYC is amazing because it is completely open and you can make it what you need to make it. but it has it's own energy which is undeniable and it smacks you in the face when you walk up from the subway. whether you go once or 10,000 times, it hits you.

You have to remember that people coming from the socialized european mainland tend to look at things differently. Which is not necessarily retarded or naive. No need to use words like that. And using "in the most respectful way possible" doesn't make it any less disrespectful.

It was astonishing to see how many people are living homeless and what I found to be disturbing was how there seemed to be no interaction with them. It became clear to me how the 'American dream' is a fantasy ingrained in society and those who cannot gain their success are to blame.

There were many mentally ill people that were in a clear state of distress, it was truly awful, Britain may be many things but I am proud to be living in a country that helps those who need it.

wait, so there are no homeless / metally ill street people in britain?

not being sarcastic, i've never been there. it's just my understanding that most major cities around the world have a homeless problem these days.

most homeless people around here match the stereotypical image of an old dirty bearded drunk. when i was in nyc i saw young people sleeping on the streets, there was one guy sleeping on the sidewalk right outside of our hotel who was wearing army clothes and couldn't have been older than 20-25. never actually seen that before.

You have to remember that people coming from the socialized european mainland tend to look at things differently. Which is not necessarily retarded or naive. No need to use words like that. And using "in the most respectful way possible" doesn't make it any less disrespectful.

socialized european mainland. wat? you turned everything I said upside down. every sentence. I'm drink godel, and my spellcheck wants to call you gospel.

but anyway, if this is still the NYC thread, Id be more than happy to quell your silly fears of this mega-metropolis with me and jefferoo holding your timid, cold and clamy little hands while we trounce manly through lower manhatten. I'd buy you a plastic wrapped necktie while ky is screaming this pizza sucks!! in brklyn, we put the gravy on last bitch!

NYC is an open place? for who? The immigrants? Its good to make contacts and meetings, but you need to have money for that or some contacts aldready. The common miserable mexican/indian worker has none of that, he goes for whatever he can catch. I understand your position but the fact is that you're so stuck in the that web since you're born that you don't realize how artificial and fake your surroundings are, and thats what I was talkin about, everything is fake in NYC, from the food to the identity; People think they are connected by some kind of spirit, when in fact that spirit is just the desire of getting cash and doing no matter what to achieve that.

How can such a ridiculous place as Times Square be considered a beautiful attraction? To me it was the proof that i needed that your country is the source of the destruction of every culture and values in this world, its the celebration of reckless capitalism at its finest but thats another story.

I understand your position but the fact is that you're so stuck in the that web since you're born that you don't realize how artificial and fake your surroundings are, and thats what I was talkin about, everything is fake in NYC

do not live your life this jaded. you think your brain wants you to think this way but you know, you know deep down you are wrong. you are too young. do not vamos scorcho yourself.

NYC is an open place? for who? The immigrants? Its good to make contacts and meetings, but you need to have money for that or some contacts aldready. The common miserable mexican/indian worker has none of that, he goes for whatever he can catch. I understand your position but the fact is that you're so stuck in the that web since you're born that you don't realize how artificial and fake your surroundings are, and thats what I was talkin about, everything is fake in NYC, from the food to the identity; People think they are connected by some kind of spirit, when in fact that spirit is just the desire of getting cash and doing no matter what to achieve that.

How can such a ridiculous place as Times Square be considered a beautiful attraction? To me it was the proof that i needed that your country is the source of the destruction of every culture and values in this world, its the celebration of reckless capitalism at its finest but thats another story.

so you went to new york and went straight to times square? that says a lot about the kind of traveler you are and the kind of research you do. no one thinks that times square is a beautiful attraction other than the cows that ships themselves off for a 2 day vacay away from iowa or wherever in thew world you are from, longing to pay 20 bucks for a hamburger at planet hollywood, get their post card, and fly the fuck back home having gained an "american experience." you mentioned earlier something about not knowing what's good, while the truth is, the food in NYC is some of the most inspired, incredible, progressive, culturally integrated cuisine in the world. no where else are you going to find a denser population of chefs and cooks that put out food with as much passion and conviction as those in new york. how was bubba gump shrimp bro? at least open a fodors or some shit next time you are in town. i can find you a 4 star meal for 15 bucks. hint: sack up and stray from the bright flashy lights and outdoor tvs. seriously. read a book.

Hey, ad hominem is a wonderful thing but if you think of yourself as a grown up, use arguments. I let you call me a retard once, and now you insist, please if you want to go that way i'm very capable of insulting you too being the immature prick I am told to be.

so you went to new york and went straight to times square? that says a lot about the kind of traveler you are and the kind of research you do. no one thinks that times square is a beautiful attraction other than the cows that ships themselves off for a 2 day vacay away from iowa or wherever in thew world you are from, longing to pay 20 bucks for a hamburger at planet hollywood, get their post card, and fly the fuck back home having gained an "american experience." you mentioned earlier something about not knowing what's good, while the truth is, the food in NYC is some of the most inspired, incredible, progressive, culturally integrated cuisine in the world. no where else are you going to find a denser population of chefs and cooks that put out food with as much passion and conviction as those in new york. how was bubba gump shrimp bro? at least open a fodors or some shit next time you are in town. i can find you a 4 star meal for 15 bucks. hint: sack up and stray from the bright flashy lights and outdoor tvs. seriously. read a book.

You and Jules seems to be some though pretentious characters! By talking of Times Square it doesnt mean I only went there, does it? You see, I actually were everywhere since i had some friends there, i ate at all types of restaurants, even the most trendy and expensive, and let me tell you i WASNT impressed at all !!! I obviously enjoyed it but I can have the same at this side of the ocean, and often at lower prices.

though pretentious characters!?

yea, no, you went everywhere since you had friends there? i have been in and out of here for over 30 years and i have never and will never have been everywhere. i am still looking for kramer at the nexus of the universe...he is at 1st and 1st.

somehow you baited me on this, the first day of 2012 kankasore. i will not respond again tonight/this morning as i have bacon in the oven and i have my fingers crossed i can replicate the christmas bloody mary bombers i made.

You and Jules seems to be some though pretentious characters! By talking of Times Square it doesnt mean I only went there, does it? You see, I actually were everywhere since i had some friends there, i ate at all types of restaurants, even the most trendy and expensive, and let me tell you i WASNT impressed at all !!! I obviously enjoyed it but I can have the same at this side of the ocean, and often at lower prices.

It doesn't mean you only went there, but you are using times square as the basis for your argument that it is, and I quote, "the proof that i needed that your country is the source of the destruction of every culture and values in this world." that's quite a leap don't you think? times square isn't even mahattan, which isn't even NYC, which isn't even USA. it's an acre of loud, bright shit to entice people who don't know any better to waste their time and money. and you're drawing quite a serious conclusion off of the trap you got sucked into. I don't really see what's pretentious about calling you out on that one. I've done my time on your side of the ocean, and I disagree, you're not going to get NYC quality food for cheaper there. definitely not in portugal anyway. how would you like it if I went to some pisshole in portugal and made a ridiculous generalization about how lazy everyone there was because they can't be bothered to read a travel guide, and how the world is getting dumber for it?

p.s. the "miserable mexican (actually not that mexican, largely puerto rican, colombian, salvadoran, cuban) and indian (probably pakistanis)" that you speak of are there because they choose to be, because their standard of living in NYC busing tables and driving cabs allows them to support themselves and their families back home where there is no such available method of supporting said families.

Why are you taking everything litterally? For fuck sake, what i meant was i visited a vast amount of places very diferent from each other in type and location. About the time Square, you got me wrong again, i meant as it was the tower of the eye in mordor, Know what i am saying?

p.s. the "miserable mexican (actually not that mexican, largely puerto rican, colombian, salvadoran, cuban) and indian (probably pakistanis)" that you speak of are there because they choose to be, because their standard of living in NYC busing tables and driving cabs allows them to support themselves and their families back home where there is no such available method of supporting said families.

Don't give me that bullshit, you consider that charity work?? You just reinfoce what i said, Nyc is a fuckin business ran by the most greedy people on earth.

Archived