IGNORED

New York City

YEK

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to visit NYC for about a month.

Whoever said Tokyo is boring sure went to a different city than I did (I've been 5 times - loved it every time).

How much would it cost to visit NYC by vehicle have a nice meal, get around the city a bit by cab or subway and maybe visit a museum? 300 dollars?

depends where you park. Set aside 50 to park, 20 for a museum, actually you can pay $.01 to get into the Met (their admission is a suggested donation) 15 for a subway card. New York can be done on a budget, it's just not as fun.

I grew up in Philly and hated visiting NYC - too crazy, so many people, noise, etc. My breakthrough moment was going up to see Venetian Snares sometime in 04 I think. The show was supposed to last until 6am so I planned on taking the train back when it started running again. I danced my ass off & ended up meeting some awesome dudes who let me crash at their place. We got off the train in the Bronx at 5am, starving, and just outside the subway stop is a 24hr Dominican place with delicious food, packed, slammed, with people still sweating from the salsa clubs. I fell in love. I've lived there for 5 years now (Brooklyn) and it's rocky at times but I can't imagine moving.

I still feel bad about your food experience in NYC Kanakori. I think it has more to do with your mental perception of NYC/America, but if you ever deign to come back, I will give you a list of fantastic meals under $20. And you're right, most food in NYC is fusion of some kind. Like in every city everywhere.

I grew up in Philly and hated visiting NYC - too crazy, so many people, noise, etc. My breakthrough moment was going up to see Venetian Snares sometime in 04 I think. The show was supposed to last until 6am so I planned on taking the train back when it started running again. I danced my ass off & ended up meeting some awesome dudes who let me crash at their place. We got off the train in the Bronx at 5am, starving, and just outside the subway stop is a 24hr Dominican place with delicious food, packed, slammed, with people still sweating from the salsa clubs. I fell in love. I've lived there for 5 years now (Brooklyn) and it's rocky at times but I can't imagine moving.

I still feel bad about your food experience in NYC Kanakori. I think it has more to do with your mental perception of NYC/America, but if you ever deign to come back, I will give you a list of fantastic meals under $20. And you're right, most food in NYC is fusion of some kind. Like in every city everywhere.

Awesome. I loved Brooklyn. I ate at a bunch of restaurants on Smith St.

Guest MortstoX

I grew up in Philly and hated visiting NYC - too crazy, so many people, noise, etc. My breakthrough moment was going up to see Venetian Snares sometime in 04 I think.

You thought NYC was crazy, crowded and noisy but changed your mind after a VS-concert? :cerious:

and if your country was remotely hospitable towards immigrants, which I can assure you that it is not

What makes you say that?

I think america is a menace to the world, thats all. Especially to my country because its too small to defend itself against your corporations and multinacionals.

Famine is a menace to the world, disease is a menace to the world - America is just a country, like all the other countries, doing what countries do. Also, no country in the world is that defenseless, including ours. If things get screwed up it's because of our decisions, not Starbucks or McDonalds.

Anyway, about NYC... I get feeling it's a bit like London, in the sense that it's an awesome place to visit/live in if you have a lot of money to spend. I might be wrong though, it's been like 10 years since I last went there. I remember being impressed with the restaurants, actually.

I knwo we got to be smart, but we can do nothing against those entreprises if we are open to the market. Btw that bitch is really average man.

Famine is a menace to the world, disease is a menace to the world - America is just a country, like all the other countries, doing what countries do. Also, no country in the world is that defenseless, including ours. If things get screwed up it's because of our decisions, not Starbucks or McDonalds.

That's exactly why i posted the girl holding Portugal's scarf.

Kanakori seems to be desperately defending something he doesn't actually understand that well.

Oh I do understand my views, but i dont express them very clearly maybe because I have a lot of meanings on it, what I say is just a part of my thoughts. Its all connected to me so saying "america is just a country" doesnt really work.

I've learned from this thread that "delicious food" is a very relative thing when I'm talking to Anglosaxons.

I knwo we got to be smart, but we can do nothing against those entreprises if we are open to the market.

Then why bother wasting time bitching about it? It's not going to change anything, it's not going to do you any good, and it certainly isn't going to do us any good either. It's a waste of precious time bitching and moaning about things you can't do anything about. Just shut your trap and enjoy whatever it is you enjoy and let us enjoy whatever we want.

If you're just 100% against something then nothing is really up for discussion and what you're doing is just preaching.

Well i didnt eat there, but i was talking in general - obviously.

Talking in generalizations makes life so much easier i find. Generally speaking that is.

One of the reasons why I like San Francisco so much is because it's almost like a tiny, little New York. Everyone is a little nuts to be living here.

if i could drop an H bomb somewhere I would pick new york

Fuck that. Go for LA.

New york city is a frozen shithole

and yeah i would tottally go to L.A even itf it was just for the low end theory parties

LA is far dirtier than NYC.

I knwo we got to be smart, but we can do nothing against those entreprises if we are open to the market.

Then why bother wasting time bitching about it? It's not going to change anything, it's not going to do you any good, and it certainly isn't going to do us any good either. It's a waste of precious time bitching and moaning about things you can't do anything about. Just shut your trap and enjoy whatever it is you enjoy and let us enjoy whatever we want.

If you're just 100% against something then nothing is really up for discussion and what you're doing is just preaching.

Well, thats a really sad way of facing life...

I don't hate everything, I like what I don't hate.

Btw Is that how you end conversations irl?? You got me depressed now

And just to answer to that lame point of view: My country is small, so my chances of influencing it is alot higher.

without having read any post past the 4th, i just moved to nyc 6 months ago and honestly can't imagine living anywhere else. there are clearly going to be assholes anywhere you live, and nyc is no exception, but (generally) i have found that the combination of there being a ton of young people here and the inherent accessibility wrought by public transportation here leads to it being an incredibly interesting time. anyone in the us below 30 would be a fool not to try living here. i see a minimum of 2 concerts a week, go out most nights (not necessarily raging, hehe) and have met an awful lot of very interesting people.

move here!

One of the reasons why I like San Francisco so much is because it's almost like a tiny, little New York. Everyone is a little nuts to be living here.

if i could drop an H bomb somewhere I would pick new york

Fuck that. Go for LA.

New york city is a frozen shithole

and yeah i would tottally go to L.A even itf it was just for the low end theory parties

LA is far dirtier than NYC.

I never went to LA but a very high number of musicians I like are coming from there :|

I grew up in Philly and hated visiting NYC - too crazy, so many people, noise, etc. My breakthrough moment was going up to see Venetian Snares sometime in 04 I think.

You thought NYC was crazy, crowded and noisy but changed your mind after a VS-concert? :cerious:

oh yeah, at least the streets are usually in 4/4 :cisfor:

I know you were j/k but it gave me a sense of how warm and friendly the city can be. There's so much of everything in nyc - and that includes real incredible, talented, giving people. In a much better proportion than anywhere else I know.

Represent.

Guest kokeboka

I love SF - Jefferson Airplane, LSD and gays.

I went there a couple of months ago - awesome place. People were very open and friendly, the food was good, found lots of things to see and do in and around SF. I'm indifferent about the psychedelia and it being gay capital of America, but I came back wishing I lived there.

Archived