IGNORED

MPC skills

kcinsu

I can't remember which thread had the long discussion about people playing MPCs so I'm posting this here, but feel free to merge this if you know what I'm referring to.

Anyways... this is pretty cool:

[youtubehd]pkyqPJsMK1E[/youtubehd]

ya that's the guy I've seen all over the internet. Really not so impressed. Sure it's technically really impressive, but the music is honestly crap. Not anything I'd ever actually listen to without watching him at the same time.

big meh.

If the music were really interesting AND his technical skill were that high then it would be something else. This is pure novelty. It's why no one in that second vid is even dancing. They're all like "whoa he can hit the pads so fast" nothing more.

Guest ryanmcallister

i'm with SDB on this. only decent video posted in this thread so far was kcinsu's. people forget how much skill goes into finding the pocket, it's not just about how fast you can play.

i wonder what product jeremy ellis and araabmuzik use to clean all that jizz off their mpcs?

I'm sure it makes for a good show, but yeah, I'd never listen to any of that music in any other setting than watching it.

There are some cool ideas, and some skills, but musically it falls flat (and some of it is kind of sloppy, which bothers me, honestly... like ryan said, it's hard to play a really solid groove, and I wish these guys focused more on that skill before moving on to the super rolls. The rolls arent even all that musical either, especially with velocity lock on!)

Certainly nice to see live stuff though... gives me ideas!

sequence cross muting which is a very creative improv way if working

What is this?

imagine each pad with its own midi loop of varying lengths all playing different riffs (or a segment of a riff) at the same time all on the same midi channel

you then have all parts muted except the ones you want playing, you then hit the active pads at the same time as the muted pads you want to play next and chop n change for many variations on the fly all tightly in sync. you can do the same with the monomachine too but only on 6 tracks, the mpc can have 64 (4x 16 pads)

there is a new pattern to pad feature on the latest jjos but i havent got my head around it yet

you maybe able to do the same on Live with a launchpad or something

Archived