IGNORED

RPM 2012

Silent Member

Anyone doing this come february? I failed miserably last year, but this year I will finish in time. It will be glorious.

I'm in, this will be my fifth year. I'm attempting two albums - solo + group project

Best of all, I'll only have about 2.5 weeks this year to work on it.

what is this?

www.rpmchallenge.com

Make an album in the month of February, just because you can. (10 tracks or 35 minutes of music)

Good fun, strong community, people go nuts.

this is a fun project. i don't really care if it happens in february (for my own projects, that is), but doing this at least once a year is a cool habit that yields interesting results. :cool:

last year's output: http://www.shaarptooooth.com/downtownroot (both albums written in under a week and a half last july, all the songs are ordered in the sequence they were jammed out)

The first year I did this, I actually found out about it through WATMM back in 2008, I lol'd at the thread like "It took me over a month to write a song, no way can I do this"

Then I manned up, grew a pair, and gave it a shot. It was probably one of the most rewarding musical experiences of my life. You would be surprised what you can accomplish under pressure, and the fact that you can hop on the IRC channel or RPM blogs at 4am in the morning and find someone else who is trying to get his kick drum to sound right is basically nonstop motivation and inspiration.

Once you are done at the end of Feb, and are so far in the artist zone that you find significance to insignificance, making album artwork, and sending in your final result, the feeling of accomplishment is amazing. If you have friends who are crazy enough to do it as well, it also makes for a nice listening party in March.

Not to mention, this really kick starts your creativity, and you will feel the need to write more music. I recall vividly, the day I was done with RPM, me and all my buddies went to a pub to celebrate, and I remember instinctively feeling like I should be home writing music.

Archived