IGNORED

Raspberry Pi - 35$ computer on a card

Guest SecondaryCell

it seems like the problem is more with the smartphones that are just aren't smart enough like ego said, because there's really no reason for them not to have such functionality. if it succeeds im sure the next iphone or whatever will have usb/hdmi/rj45 ports..

as a server i guess the rationale is low power consumption, otherwise your existing pc will do just fine.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ideas for when I get one;

1. XMBC and householf file sharing

2. Get a load of USB webcams and make a home CCTV network and could maybe link it into home automation stuff (control hot water timer?)

3. Car computer, again with usb webcams installed front and read, think of it as a very cheap black box recorder.

future smartphones will trample this thing, it's just an intermediary step..

Current smartphones trample this thing, but they cost 10 times more.

they don't really cost 10 times more, they're just marketed this way. it's a shame that this thing isn't really a direct competition.

they easily cost more than 10x more when you factor in the monthly charges rolled up in acquiring one

You don't have to get a contract to get a phone.

it seems like the problem is more with the smartphones that are just aren't smart enough like ego said, because there's really no reason for them not to have such functionality. if it succeeds im sure the next iphone or whatever will have usb/hdmi/rj45 ports..

as a server i guess the rationale is low power consumption, otherwise your existing pc will do just fine.

it's more the practicality of it. There isn't space on a phone to have ethernet ports. Also, battery life is a major concern.

Android is more than capable of doing these kind of things (uTorrent is making a native Android app that works as a bittorrent app, for example), but as soon as you start leaving processes running in the background....especially ones that keep things like WiFi awake, and the CPU awake...that's when battery life starts taking a sharp nose-dive.

Guest Promo

you could use this as your own personal music streaming server.

set it up so that it accesses your FLAC files sitting on your 1TB external USB hard drive, and it will transcode on the fly and stream to your device of choice while you're out and about.

very cool stuff

Indeed.

I like the way it's more limited by the user's imagination than the machine's own performances. You could do so much with such a little thing in the hands…It's really exciting. Even in "pure" informatics purposes it's really interesting, running a small programming/testing station for example. I guess you could play some old games on it, even have a DAW working and bring it everywhere.

Gosh, I want one of those.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Check this looks rather sexy!

Raspberry_1.jpg

set it up so that it accesses your FLAC files sitting on your 1TB external USB hard drive, and it will transcode on the fly and stream to your device of choice while you're out and about.

very cool stuff

Indeed.

I like the way it's more limited by the user's imagination than the machine's own performances. You could do so much with such a little thing in the hands…It's really exciting. Even in "pure" informatics purposes it's really interesting, running a small programming/testing station for example. I guess you could play some old games on it, even have a DAW working and bring it everywhere.

Raspberry_1.jpg

where did you find this, i want a case for mine!

definetly getting one for movies and probably some emulator games, dosbox.

fuck it runs q3, they have arch linux running on it.. im excited to get one. already got a nice case.

very cool stuff

Indeed.

Raspberry_1.jpg

From the Raspberry website FAQ :

Will it have a case?

Not for the first batch. We’ll be making and selling cases by the summer; you’ll be able to buy a unit with or without a case, or a case on its own. The education release later in 2012 will have a case by default. There are lots of homebrew case discussions on the forum.

So have you managed to get one in the UK? I've got RS shop not too far from me so might pop in there tomorrow. Otherwise I've no success in obtaining one yet.

ive paid for mine but the est delivery date is late next month, not bothered on the wait, by then lots of people will have already concreted cool builds and software for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know when people actually receive these

I want to buy one on ebay but there are none

Have the buyers received theirs yet, those who were lucky enough to get an order in?

Nope, preorders that were meant to have been shipped in March have been pushed back to the latter end of May

That's lame

They should have let everyone place an order for a month and randomly selected the amount they had

Ridiculous that there was only a 5 minute window or whatever.

That 5 minute window wasn't any pre-determined window, it was purely for the fact that the stocks had been completely obliterated. They have been a victim of their own hype. Unfortunately I posit that it'll still be difficult to get hold of one of these for quite some time, since there is massive desire for lower power small form factor computers that can run Linux. At this price, you seriously would be stupid not to get one.

i wonder if by the time this raspberry pi is even available there will be a better one

i remember reading that they will be focusing more on the software aspects of it now more than the hardware so i suppose it own't become obsolete any time soon and it's safe to buy

$35 how can you go wrong

I want to use it as a multimedia center for my TV

i wonder if by the time this raspberry pi is even available there will be a better one

i remember reading that they will be focusing more on the software aspects of it now more than the hardware so i suppose it own't become obsolete any time soon and it's safe to buy

$35 how can you go wrong

I want to use it as a multimedia center for my TV

Well it all depends on what you want to use it for, when you say something like "i suppose it's safe to buy".

Yes it's safe to buy, as long as you understand it's inherent limitations. You're certainly not going to be playing Crysis on this thing. But It will quite easily handle server capabilities, that kind of thing. And yeah, it should be ok to act as a media centre for your TV. Just make sure you get acquainted with Linux.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest SecondaryCell

Finally was able to order mine from http://raspberrypi.rsdelivers.com/

I put my name on their pre-order list several weeks ago and received a code today that allowed me to place the order. Only one per customer, and it won't ship for about three weeks.

Still looking forward to it though. Also picked up a card with the OS pre installed.

it seems like it'll run supercollider, might grab a couple and try to grid em

dosbox.

i'm thinking arcarde cabinet.

Archived