IGNORED

New WATMM Heading

zlemflolia

Yes, thanks is what you're meant to say (I think, i'm not supposed to force a thanks am i, that kinda negates it and makes me look like a hood.)

4.jpg

Well, the rolling eyes indicated sarcasm, and I wasn't sure if it was directed towards me or others in the thread...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never seen that one as sarcastic, as he is smiling sheepishly :rolleyes: and looking upwards towards the imagining of things pleasant. Never worried about the smilies title. Maybe i should, don't want to cause undue hurt to my homies.

Wow - I really like this - it's even better than my logo as I can see the "M" as well as the "W" in it, bringing more of "WATMM" into it!

The font is all right - it's suitable, but a bit plain - I'd like to see if I can do a variation of your logo, Jules' treatment of the "are the", the original font I used (before this one) and the current font (taking into account some of the suggestions about the spacing and that funny "R"), and see what I can come up with - or you're welcome to as well (that goes for anybody) - I can probably reproduce the logo, but if you have it in a vector format (EPS, AI, SVG) please PM or email me it so I can ensure the spacing and weights are reproduced accurately.

The logo wasn't meant to be separated from the type form. They both work together. It could make the typeface appear too complicated if it stands alone and still communicate the same message as it does along with the logo. I can seek another alternative to the font though, but it wouldn't be much different from what it is now. Also, the whole thing could appear overdone, and that's a downside of it.

It might be interesting to see different waveforms used as variants of the logo, although a square wave wouldn't make a good "W" (it might be possible though). Also, I think keeping it simple (rule one of logo design) by not adding the grid would be better, because at small sizes, the grid would get lost (I'm a bit concerned by that alternate wave in Godwin's logo in that respect).

I was thinking the same thing about the grid. About the thin wave: yes, you're right, it could be that at small sizes the wave could not be seen. But if you consider that even if we print it on the back of a CD (or a vinyl label), we could have a minimum allowed size of about 5 cm (2 inches), which is small enough to conserve space, and big enough to be legible and have the thin wave still visible.

My original concept was the idea of a beat line or wave stylized into the "W" shape, and not specifically a kind of waveform, but I really like the execution of yours. I recall the same feelings of frustration in trying to come up with a solid logo for a client (the worst are clients whose identity is their brand, and creating a logo from their name and avoiding the cliches associated with that). Your reasoning on the design is sound, and I think it's better than mine. Since WATMM doesn't have that much of an established "brand" as of yet (only a few releases on WATMM Records carry the logo), there's no reason it can't be changed or reinvented at this stage.

Yes, I took in account your initial W shape.

I wasn't thinkng about 'branding' WATMM in a traditional sense, since there is no need for that (and I hope that's not the way it should be done). It needs an identity, but I believe we can make it flexible enough not to be corporate-boring. Therefore the logo and the typeface remain the same throughout the applications, and the design itself can be made whatever to suit the mood/style/art direction of an album or compilation or whatever. We could even make the header of this site to change its form upon reloading, and maybe we can implement different wave forms in this respect. Just a thought.

So your intent was to always have the type with the logo? I think that limits it's flexibility quite a bit, as originally the WATMM logo was just that - a symbolic logo, until I decided to start using it as the masthead for the site recently. Even on the old WATMM Records site (which is what the logo was originally envisioned for, and not for WATMM the 'brand' as it were), it was just the logo, and no type treatment to accompany it.

RE: Applications - you're forgetting about online applications, which honestly this logo will probably be used more often than not (favicon for the site, mobile device icons, etc.), and the need for it to look good at reduced resolutions. For instance, the grid lines for example would get totally lost being applied as a favicon for a website bookmark. Would it take away from the design? Probably not, but a stronger logo changes little, if at all regardless of the usage.

RE: Branding - I'm most certainly approaching it as a 'brand' - having a recognizable symbol or logotype is key to establishing a cohesive identity, not only for product applications (music releases, apparel, etc.) but also to unite the followers of a brand (in our case, the community here) behind it with something they can relate to, and while this may sound a bit cheesy, something they can be proud of (whether it be wearing or displaying). I like the idea you're talking about of having variants of the logo for different applications, which would lend itself well to appeasing different tastes, as well as injecting some variety and avoiding "corporate boring" as you say.

Well whatever man, do as you please. I just wanted to help.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it just me, or has the new logo disappeared? I just get the text word "logo" now as a link back to the main page....

I did some updates last night - I probably have to get the logo to re-cache... Thanks for letting me know.

Guest CraniumXII

Godwins logo is seriously more electronic music looking, I think it would be a smart move to use that one

Graphic artist here!! What Godwin has going is much more effective. I am not absolutely loving the logo itself, but the type is much more clean and easy to read. The current type is way to busy, and the kerning n' leading are too tight. As someone mentioned early on, I actually read "We are the Mystic Makers" the first time. Some mix of both your two logos would be most effective. I don't want to put too many hands in the pot, so I won't offer any additional ideas.

Just play around by mixing a bit of both, if you haven't already... Good Luck :D

I've never seen that one as sarcastic, as he is smiling sheepishly :rolleyes: and looking upwards towards the imagining of things pleasant. Never worried about the smilies title. Maybe i should, don't want to cause undue hurt to my homies.

You missed the crucial detail of the frame where the eyes are looking to the right (the smiley's left) before looking up -- that makes it an eye roll. But that's quite a creative interpretation of the smiley!

I like Godwin's logo very much.

So your intent was to always have the type with the logo? I think that limits it's flexibility quite a bit, as originally the WATMM logo was just that - a symbolic logo, until I decided to start using it as the masthead for the site recently. Even on the old WATMM Records site (which is what the logo was originally envisioned for, and not for WATMM the 'brand' as it were), it was just the logo, and no type treatment to accompany it.

RE: Applications - you're forgetting about online applications, which honestly this logo will probably be used more often than not (favicon for the site, mobile device icons, etc.), and the need for it to look good at reduced resolutions. For instance, the grid lines for example would get totally lost being applied as a favicon for a website bookmark. Would it take away from the design? Probably not, but a stronger logo changes little, if at all regardless of the usage.

RE: Branding - I'm most certainly approaching it as a 'brand' - having a recognizable symbol or logotype is key to establishing a cohesive identity, not only for product applications (music releases, apparel, etc.) but also to unite the followers of a brand (in our case, the community here) behind it with something they can relate to, and while this may sound a bit cheesy, something they can be proud of (whether it be wearing or displaying). I like the idea you're talking about of having variants of the logo for different applications, which would lend itself well to appeasing different tastes, as well as injecting some variety and avoiding "corporate boring" as you say.

As I said, the logo and the font work together. Albeit the text "We are the music makers, your electronic music resource" works really well and tells what you need to know. It tells that here are people who make music and share their knowledge and inspiration, but also implicates a connection with a certain type of music. What the emblem communicates visually is that these people are connected worldwide, and that they share similar aesthetics of sound, and that there is the W and M which could stand both for "Music" and "We" which suggests a philosophy of openness and universal language of music. Like "We" are the "Music" and "Music" is "We". But not just enclosed on this forum, but to suggest that music is what connects all people throughout the planet.

It's because of all the above I decided to include the circular emblem, which easily connects the dots, and makes the whole identity to be firm and sincere.

And if you followed me to here, you can already see that even using the circular emblem alone is enough in some cases (for favicon, t-shirt mark, etc), and that is what even broadens the flexibility of it, not limits it as you suggested.

Forget the grid lines.

About branding: I'm generally opposing the traditional, corporate sense of it, for I feel that what's happening here, is detached from the corporate mentality. It's about music, and we should stick to that. Therefore the emblem and the text together are enough of an identity. It's the music that counts and there is so many creative stuff to add in case of making an album or a compilation (like cover art, etc).

Of course this is my point of view, and if you feel that it doesn't suit you, feel free to do it as you like.

Archived