IGNORED

Things people write on Facebook

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So there's an acquaintance of mine on facebook who I befriended early on when I joined the site in college. He was a very devout Christian and aspiring singer-songwriter - that isn't exactly my crowd but he was nice, friendly, and in that sense a sincere Christian. I didn't know him that well though, had a few classes with him in high school and maybe worked on a class report together once. He was one of those "hey you're on this silly social media site too? let's be 'friends!' or whatever" friend adds. Well he tragically was the first person I knew in my high school to pass away - he and a friend were killed in a traffic accident. Every year he gets messages on his facebook page, which has literally stayed the same since 2006. It's surreal seeing it pop up in my feed. And honestly - I deleted a ton of people from my list who I really was never close to, and I've almost deleted his. Probably will soon. Anyone else have a similar "relic" facebook profile on their friend list. It's a strange thing to witness.

For a second there I thought i had stepped into the first world problems thread by accident. Seriously though, sorry to hear about the friend. The closest thing I have to that is a couple ex girlfriends on my feed (rarely), and occasionally I bear witness to photos of horses and people riding them. Which is to say I have no similar relic but felt like chiming in anyway.

So there's an acquaintance of mine on facebook who I befriended early on when I joined the site in college. He was a very devout Christian and aspiring singer-songwriter - that isn't exactly my crowd but he was nice, friendly, and in that sense a sincere Christian. I didn't know him that well though, had a few classes with him in high school and maybe worked on a class report together once. He was one of those "hey you're on this silly social media site too? let's be 'friends!' or whatever" friend adds. Well he tragically was the first person I knew in my high school to pass away - he and a friend were killed in a traffic accident. Every year he gets messages on his facebook page, which has literally stayed the same since 2006. It's surreal seeing it pop up in my feed. And honestly - I deleted a ton of people from my list who I really was never close to, and I've almost deleted his. Probably will soon. Anyone else have a similar "relic" facebook profile on their friend list. It's a strange thing to witness.

I believe Facebook has an actual policy on dealing with these sorts of cases, especially after it became a thing to start fb tribute pages to people who've passed away.

Yeah I think his mother runs it. It's pretty respectful actually - people write nice messages and lately old photos have been uploaded with him tagged.

I lost a friend two years ago in the huge earthquake and tsunami in northeast Japan. He was teaching English in Rikuzentakata in Iwate prefecture, which got mostly wiped out by the tsunami. I took classes with him at HUE Hakodate in southern Hokkaido five years ago.

I decided to keep him on my friends list. His wall still gets messages from friends and loved ones. He was a good guy, and highly respected.

Also flol at triachus' business man image reenactment.

Yeah, I found that if you can find lots of amazing things if you google businessman/men+whatever verb. I think I'll post more of them in the future.

Also flol at triachus' business man image reenactment.

Yeah, I found that if you can find lots of amazing things if you google businessman/men+whatever verb. I think I'll post more of them in the future.

stock-photo-18720898-businessman-sinking

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Thankfully no. Sorry to hear that dude. I guess as time goes on this kind of thing is only going to become more and more common though. Someone posted some pseudo philosophical quote thing that popped into my news feed a few months ago that said something like 'in 100 years there will be a billion Facebook profiles of dead people'. It'll probably become some kind of cultural treasure trove for the archaeologists of the future

Thankfully no. Sorry to hear that dude. I guess as time goes on this kind of thing is only going to become more and more common though. Someone posted some pseudo philosophical quote thing that popped into my news feed a few months ago that said something like 'in 100 years there will be a billion Facebook profiles of dead people'. It'll probably become some kind of cultural treasure trove for the archaeologists of the future

That's a thing I've wondered about. How much of this periods things will even be left in a thousand years. The period itself might be something that will be thought of as meaningful as the industrial revolution in how it changed how the world worked but what about the remnants of this period. Digital storage isn't even going to last a quarter of that. Cloud computing? I doubt that it will be as long-lived. And how about the formats and coding, will the protocols of today be decipherable in a thousand years? It's quite possible that this period might become a dark hole for the futures historians and archaeologists and they will still know more about the Egyptians and other ancient civilizations than us, who left us with huge stone monuments and we just left a layer of plastic and silicone.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

That's a thing I've wondered about. How much of this periods things will even be left in a thousand years. The period itself might be something that will be thought of as meaningful as the industrial revolution in how it changed how the world worked but what about the remnants of this period. Digital storage isn't even going to last a quarter of that. Cloud computing? I doubt that it will be as long-lived. And how about the formats and coding, will the protocols of today be decipherable in a thousand years? It's quite possible that this period might become a dark hole for the futures historians and archaeologists and they will still know more about the Egyptians and other ancient civilizations than us, who left us with huge stone monuments and we just left a layer of plastic and silicone.

I think there will likely be more information left from this period in time than from any other period in history. Sure everything degrades, but we live in a time of easy access to a huge array of different storage methods and there are vast amounts of people who use them all the time to document virtually everything that happens. Technology changes rapidly, granted. But through every advance so far, people have converted the information from the past into newer formats. As long as there are people around with the means and motivation to continue to do so, I think from now on very little cultural information will be lost. On top of that I think from now on history will become clearer and more honest too. There are so many gaps in our current knowledge of the past and how people behaved and why. The people of the future will not only be able to see the buildings we leave behind and the changes we've made to the landscape, but they will be able to see us moving and living in this environment. They will see our mannerisms, they will see us interacting with each other. They will be able to hear our voices. Also in the past history has largely been written by the victors of war. We live in a time where anyone with a mobile phone can instantaneously record and document anything that happens practically anywhere in the world. I think it's far more likely that this time in history will be clearer and richer to look back on than any time that has gone before, and I think this is a trend that will continue for as long as human civilisation exists.

I think there will likely be more information left from this period in time than from any other period in history. Sure everything degrades, but we live in a time of easy access to a huge array of different storage methods and there are vast amounts of people who use them all the time to document virtually everything that happens. Technology changes rapidly, granted. But through every advance so far, people have converted the information from the past into newer formats. As long as there are people around with the means and motivation to continue to do so, I think from now on very little cultural information will be lost. On top of that I think from now on history will become clearer and more honest too. There are so many gaps in our current knowledge of the past and how people behaved and why. The people of the future will not only be able to see the buildings we leave behind and the changes we've made to the landscape, but they will be able to see us moving and living in this environment. They will see our mannerisms, they will see us interacting with each other. They will be able to hear our voices. Also in the past history has largely been written by the victors of war. We live in a time where anyone with a mobile phone can instantaneously record and document anything that happens practically anywhere in the world. I think it's far more likely that this time in history will be clearer and richer to look back on than any time that has gone before, and I think this is a trend that will continue for as long as human civilisation exists.

Timothy brings up an important fact: for the first time in our existence we're actually creating AND storing more data than ever before. What we know of recorded history before the last couple centuries is extremely small in terms of primary sources - most historical knowledge of antiquity is a patchwork of secondhand sources, correlation of different records, and flat-out detective work. To me it's overwhelming to think of how much of human culture and knowledge was lost and flat-out destroyed in the previous centuries and millennia. Take the Gnostic Gospels for example - before copies of the texts were found hidden in a cave in 1945 the only acknowledgement of their existence was from their citation as heretical dogma as deemed by the Catholic Church. These were literally destroyed as the Church unified and Gnostic sects were suppressed over time. If someone hadn't hidden these away they would of never been read again. This kind of literal book-burning and destruction still occurs - the destruction of shrines in Timbuktu by Islamic fighters is a very recent example.

I forget the exact statistic, but literally more data has been created in the last few years than has ever existed in all human history beforehand. The volumes of history in books, literature, artwork, any well any form of human culture is essentially comparable to the last decade of digital data we've produced. Now that basically anything uploaded online is essentially hard to erase, only analog formats of literature, music, and art are the last things to be preserved or archived. This is in some sense a bit absurd - there is so much data of "crap" out there: duplicate uploads of the same media, inessential memes, videos of teenagers singing along to pop songs, etc all the while old books and records are probably sitting in a dump, or older generations of people are passing away before they share one last story on audiotape, thus literally losing another voice from a era no were near as well documented.

It's like a lack of canon that's remarkable right now. I think though this is reinforcing the value of worthwhile arching and preservation. We need to still record important digital data to analog sources. I think of a Arthur C. Clarke book (3001: Final Odyssey) he mentions that most all human records of ancestors and genealogy were lost when the only digital copies were destroyed in a natural disaster in the 2200s. We'll always be susceptible to losing artifacts. Years ago I read about how a twitter user decided to print and publish (for himself) his tweets of the last year. He simply didn't like the fact that it wasn't in hard copy. Too much information is better than losing even a small part of it - for example I heard about someone finding a youtube video of literally a video being shot of a family sitting around the house eating McDonalds. While this has no value whatsoever it's also the kind of time capsule that never existed - think about how we all know that kids in the 20s and 30s used to play stickball in the streets of NYC - we know that occurred but we don't have video of it. Now even the most mundane social activity is in some way recorded forever - and we're quite self-aware of it. Think about how digital cameras have literally killed the spontaneity of most pictures taken - no happy accidents or photos of people caught "acting normal" - most people are self-aware of how they look and delete what they don't want stored digitally. It'll be neat to see how humanity goes through this transition in the next century or two.

577611_4382015159123_1531739133_n.jpg

"And for today meal I got some Beef Rap sprinkled with some grief crap.... If it is Black than it is threatening?! My mind is deadlier than my black-belt fortified body."

I enjoyed reading this a lot. I agree, I think the majority of our current data is very fragile, especially that in electronic form. If something really destructive happened to the planet, much of our records would be gone.

Two or three weeks ago I saw my local news [ f] page posting an article about the Iditarod race and making a comment in the heading about a photographer "shooting the race dogs". People got upset and made comments like "wat u shoot doggies?? how awful!"

Then a spokesperson commented in response to those comments to clarify that "shooting" in this context was photo-journalist lingo for "taking photos"

lol.

Guest isaki

Some girl just shared this with the caption "This sounds so much worse than it is. Oh my god. Too sad :("

but instead of telling her it's satire I'll let her bask in her stupidity

Archived