IGNORED

Fox News just aired a suicide live

jules

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was an accident, the networks don't air live suicides regularly. And a natioon would be arguably worse off if it didn't allow news stations to cover dangerous live events. We already tread that line in the US by not showing violent combat footage of all the wars our government has waged -- speaking of that, does anyone know if there's a legal basis for that lack of coverage? Is it done in the name of "protecting journalists"? I feel like maybe the policy changed after Vietnam, when up-front combat footage was all over the news channels (so I hear), but my quick google search has failed me.

Without reading the thread, or looking up the particulars online. fox didn't know the guy was going to shoot himself, and in a live broadcast who can predict what will happen. I wouldn't use this as an excuse to shut down play by play reporting, which has been going on as long as instant communication have been available.

I hope legislators will use this tragic event as an opportunity to finally enact appropriate gun legislation, that will place tiny video cameras inside bullets so next time we can see his head explode from the inside out

there is a widely held myth that war reporting during Vietnam was somehow unfiltered and that americans at home saw the actual carnage of combat and things like that. It wasn't really the case. Things did slip through though, a famous incident involved a group of soldiers gleefully burning down a village using cigarette lighters on grass huts. Besides that i don't really know of any other moment where the horrors of the vietnam war aired on live television. What is true is that TV coverage of a war while it was happening was a relatively new phenomenon obviously so the skillset required to emit the type of filtered propaganda we get today from say CNN during the first gulf war was almost non existent.

I hope legislators will use this tragic event as an opportunity to finally enact appropriate gun legislation, that will place tiny video cameras inside bullets so next time we can see his head explode from the inside out

lol

over here they delay "live" chat shows in case someone says "cunt" or exposes themselves on live tv.

SURELY this would be sensible for the airing of these stupid police-chase programs?

over here they delay "live" chat shows in case someone says "cunt" or exposes themselves on live tv.

SURELY this would be sensible for the airing of these stupid police-chase programs?

I'm pretty sure the car chase was already delayed by five seconds or something.

aye, you'd think. but American's aren't that clever, keltoi.

I'm pretty sure the car chase was already delayed by five seconds or something.

!? lol.

they should try 5 minutes.

what an absolutely brilliant exercise in painting 314 million people with one brush and abusing an apostrophe at the same time. you should get a medal.

I liked the part where you both failed to notice that the plastic anchorman person apologized for the 5 second delay feed not being aired as per normal U.S. broadcasting procedure.

Maybe if he had said innit a few times and ended with a Fox can't be bovvered his nonstandard language usage would be more comprehensible.

there is a widely held myth that war reporting during Vietnam was somehow unfiltered and that americans at home saw the actual carnage of combat and things like that. It wasn't really the case. Things did slip through though, a famous incident involved a group of soldiers gleefully burning down a village using cigarette lighters on grass huts. Besides that i don't really know of any other moment where the horrors of the vietnam war aired on live television. What is true is that TV coverage of a war while it was happening was a relatively new phenomenon obviously so the skillset required to emit the type of filtered propaganda we get today from say CNN during the first gulf war was almost non existent.

lol

well of course it wasn't unfiltered. this is a physical impossibility. Even the Soviet NKVD placed advisers to give daily updates on certain artillery batteries during WWII and statistically received about 30% of the relevant necessary information..and this was info handed to Stalin!

No military commander in their right mind would allow journalists to accompany a special ops brigade or mount "Agent Orange Watch" air-cams onto Vietnam chopper squadrons.

there's a difference between live television and photojournalism though. There were a ton of shocking, firsthand photo accounts of all sorts of things during the Vietnam War. Now that the military is savvy to public relations, they don't let that through. Photojournalists are boxed in and guided along specific routes that imitate "unfettered access" but in fact are anything but.

yeah, that's what i was trying to get at in my earlier post

and i figured out where i picked up the (in awe's words) "widely held myth" of gruesome vietnam TV footage: one episode of The Wonder Years

expect the next generation to remember shows like "Homeland" in a "well it's probably true" sort of way :cisfor:

I liked the part where you both failed to notice that the plastic anchorman person apologized for the 5 second delay feed not being aired as per normal U.S. broadcasting procedure.

Maybe if he had said innit a few times and ended with a Fox can't be bovvered his nonstandard language usage would be more comprehensible.

i didn't watch the video. and i didn't say anything bad about your country.

i liked the part where you missed the part where I quoted sirch saying bad things about "American's" and also where you missed the part where I was clearly joking in the same (I assume) good-natured spirit as sirch. Also you appear to be Scottish and I know Scottish people don't generally talk like Catherine Tate playing a Chav. That was supposed to make the joke obvious and funny because it was clearly based on erroneous generalizations, as per Sirch's post.

Come ere and hug me ye great fucking cunt.

PS Americans are pretty dumb though lol

PS So is everyone else

i liked the part where you missed the part where I quoted sirch saying bad things about "American's" and also where you missed the part where I was clearly joking in the same (I assume) good-natured spirit as sirch. Also you appear to be Scottish and I know Scottish people don't generally talk like Catherine Tate playing a Chav. That was supposed to make the joke obvious and funny because it was clearly based on erroneous generalizations, as per Sirch's post.

Come ere and hug me ye great fucking cunt.

PS Americans are pretty dumb though lol

PS So is everyone else

Exactly. I Don't take kindly to being lumped in with an englander.

Archived