IGNORED

hurricane sandy

jules

that flooding looks crazy. I went throught Hurricane Andrew and it was pretty scary(nothing like hiding in the hallway under a mattress while the roof flies away), but it was fast & furious with little rain and the worst of it passed by quickly. These huge slow storms are scary because people feel like they can hang through it and don't realize how dangerous the flooding is.

Wow. Yeah I've been watching videos of some of the 90s category 5 hurricanes as well as these of Isabel... I forgot how crazy hurricanes could be (though the one in NY is not nearly in the same category...)

This will give you an idea of why you should stay off the street though!

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That meteorologist I posted above (the guy with the unspecified but dire predictions of damages, and also a gardening tip) tweeted that FDR drive is underwater for 50 blocks

for the non-NYC guys, how is FDR drive significant? a main highway artery?

Yes. Very significant, but it is on the shoreline of the east river.

I heard 23rd Street is a river now. That is MUCH worse, imo.

So is the subway flooding.

GypMH.png

this is completely not believable, I can't even imagine what is happening elsewhere along the coast, NYers I would imagine are at least pretty safe if they stay above ground.

They are saying that if it falls, it will crash through the street and break a major gas main, which will result in some nasty explosions.

3 kids amongst dead.

rip

i've always been shocked when looking at pictures of manhattan. looks as though the water is already above the street level on good days? is this true? do they constantly pump water out from nyc? seems this was waiting to happen. so so sad ..and the children, oh' my, this is so sad.

i'll be curious to see what type of changes will be made when things are put back in place.

r.i.p

I can't get that con ed explosion vid to embed, but please check that out even if the post doesn't seem immediately engaging, lol.

Scary shit.

Edit, yeah, it's hard to gauge just what's going on there.

Con Ed plant explosion

starts at 17 seconds

so that must have been what someone saw in the sky a while back...

goddamn...i mean, wtf? is goin on here?

3 kids amongst dead.

rip

i've always been shocked when looking at pictures of manhattan. looks as though the water is already above the street level on good days? is this true? do they constantly pump water out from nyc?

No. NYC is mostly above sea level. This current level is something like 15 feet higher than normal. This is bad.

3 kids amongst dead.

rip

i've always been shocked when looking at pictures of manhattan. looks as though the water is already above the street level on good days? is this true? do they constantly pump water out from nyc? seems this was waiting to happen. so so sad ..and the children, oh' my, this is so sad.

i'll be curious to see what type of changes will be made when things are put back in place.

r.i.p

you are seriously pissing me off

flol

Total bullshit about NYSE being flooded. I put CNN on to make sure Piers Morgan was still an idiot and maybe to get some news. I got nothing but lies. I must be too used to good news channels like BBC where they make sure it's actually factual.

flol

Total bullshit about NYSE being flooded. I put CNN on to make sure Piers Morgan was still an idiot and maybe to get some news. I got nothing but lies. I must be too used to good news channels like BBC where they make sure it's actually factual.

I don't know man. It's pretty bad down there. I'd believe it.

Also, I don't think I'd trust BBC's coverage of local NYC news 100% right now.

Right now, I'm following the posts of the few hundred NYC friends I have on facebook. That shit is underwater.

Archived