IGNORED

hurricane sandy

jules

we are about to get slammed over the next few days here. I usually don't panic over weather but if I am being honest, I'm a little freaked out by this storm. they are calling it the frankenstorm because it's actually a monster hurricane colliding with two other systems during a full moon which will have the tides all messed up, perfect for wreaking maximum havoc on our coast. this one is not going to be pretty, in fact they are saying this could be the largest storm in recorded history for the northeast. wtf.

good luck all my northeast peeps.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in Massachusetts, about 30 minutes south of Boston, and apparently it's going to rain with winds at 37mph. Whoop de doo, but we shall see.

"This afternoon's 3:30 pm EDT H*Wind analysis from NOAA's Hurricane Research Division put the destructive potential of Sandy's winds at a modest 2.8 on a scale of 0 to 6. However, the destructive potential of the storm surge was record high: 5.8 on a scale of 0 to 6. This is a higher destructive potential than any hurricane observed since 1969, including Category 5 storms like Katrina, Rita, Wilma, Camille, and Andrew."

post-16-1351506512_thumb.png

Guest uptown devil

some of my best friends live in ny and boston, hoping this is just more sensationalist storm hype like so many times in the past, though i fear it's not.

we really need to figure out how to destroy hurricanes from space. can't we just shoot some fucking missiles into it or something?

"This afternoon's 3:30 pm EDT H*Wind analysis from NOAA's Hurricane Research Division put the destructive potential of Sandy's winds at a modest 2.8 on a scale of 0 to 6. However, the destructive potential of the storm surge was record high: 5.8 on a scale of 0 to 6. This is a higher destructive potential than any hurricane observed since 1969, including Category 5 storms like Katrina, Rita, Wilma, Camille, and Andrew."

post-16-1351506512_thumb.png

higher destructive power than katrina? did i just read that? :ohmy:

stay safe everyone :(

post-21746-1351512131_thumb.png

Very concerned about the already lower than expected pressure and the rest of the phasing that has yet to occur.

Good Morning !!!

Woke up around 6:30 AM to the sound of the wind here on Cape Cod.

Noticed a pale orange sky too...very ominous.

Steady winds approx. 18 MPH gusts to 35 MPH.

Light rain...temp 58F.

NWS just (well at 7:30) issued F warnings for most s/e Phila counties.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY NJ HAS ISSUED A

FLOOD WARNING FOR,

MONTGOMERY COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA,

PHILADELPHIA COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA,

DELAWARE COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA,

CHESTER COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA,

Already power outages NYC area was only 48 last hour now 3,000!!!

It's moving at 20mph now!

Flooding by Bally's in AC

http://twitter.com/t...3071873/photo/1

meteorologist forum: http://forums.accuwe...c=30127&st=2780

cera-storm-surge-10-29-1130-utc-nyc1.png

latest.jpg

Ocean city nj

post-16547-1351513473.jpg

From @JitneyGuy on twitter...what he says is 80 feet of boardwalk floating free at Atlantic and New Hampshire Avenues. Wow!

http://www.facebook....4...e=1

OBS 40:

Estimated Surface Wind (30 sec. Avg.) Using Estimated Reduction Factor

84.0 knots (~ 96.6 mph) Category Two Hurricane

SFMR Peak (10s Avg.) Sfc. Wind 84 knots (~ 96.6 mph)

Air temperature and dew point were marked bad.

WATMMers please stay safe.

Stay safe peeps, here in Rhode Island and we're being told to brace for getting hit pretty hard, power outages, etc. worse than Irene last year. Schools, services, gov't offices cancelled across the board, yet its business ass usual at my office. Hoping we close shop by noon at least.

I'm just following information on this forum http://forums.accuwe...c=30127&st=2860 , apparently the members who frequent it are pretty hardcore about this stuff and they are all saying they underestimated it because it is taking on tropical storm characteristics... some reports are now saying this will be a Cat 2, instead of Cat 1... and with the apex of the storm at the same time of a full moon/high tide, the flooding could be bad

Holy shit what a BAD TIMING for deepening. Some wind reports are around 95-100mph now. The gulf stream is helping the process plus the extremely low pressure will cause more wind damage than predicted. Wow.

me: 12:20:30Z

Coordinates: 35.5833N 71.7W

Acft. Static Air Press: 696.7 mb (~ 20.57 inHg)

Acft. Geopotential Hgt: 2,776 meters (~ 9,108 feet)

Extrap. Sfc. Press: 961.8 mb (~ 28.40 inHg)

D-value: -

Flt. Lvl. Wind (30s): From 244° at 44 knots (From the WSW at ~ 50.6 mph)

Air Temp: 10.5°C (~ 50.9°F)

Dew Pt: 8.1°C (~ 46.6°F)

Peak (10s) Flt. Lvl. Wind: 44 knots (~ 50.6 mph)

SFMR Peak (10s) Sfc. Wind: 79 knots* (~ 90.8 mph*)

SFMR Rain Rate: 0 mm/hr* (~ 0 in/hr*)

Archived