IGNORED

Man of Steel - New Trailer

Squee

since i know hollywood is reading my posts and reviews on this forum and carefully taking notes, i'd like to see a cosmic scale sf comic book film. also, reboot the shadow. it's everything that was missing from nolan's batman. gangsters, psychic powers, dames. get a cg orson welles to play lamont cranston, maybe throw in some pre-code violence and drug use. can't go wrong.

by the way, I printed out this post and scattered about fifty copies around hollywood; give it 16 months

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't agree with that, because the christopher reeves version is hardly definitive. but this looks like poop. i know i'm never going to see silver age sci fi superman or something along the lines of all star superman or geoff johns various runs but this looks like the same dour shit that killed superman returns. why is everything so dark? whole movie looks like it takes place inside a depressed computer.

silverage superman would prob be the best thing to base a movie off of, in my opinion also. i think the much maligned luthor battlesuit was actually kind of cool and makes sense. and i prefer that take on luthor the most. he's a brilliant scientist who uses science to do evil. that's kind of awesome, and i think is just what a superman movie needs. joker pushed the 89 batman and dark knight to their levels of mainstream awareness that they achieved, at least as much as batman himself in those movies if not far more. having great portrayals of the villains makes this stuff. luthor in the 70s superman movies, as much as i like hackman, just didn't do it. and spacey's sure as hell did not. they need a luthor that is actually threatening, that actually kills people, has a menacing physical appearance and is memorable and stands out. they need to make a badass luthor like ledger did with joker. and i think the scientist luthor is the one to do that. not the fat republican businessman or the uggg.. president. or any other retarded things they did with luthor.

mad scientist. uses kryptonite. has crazy science gadgets and possibly a battlesuit. it should be hard to fuck up luthor and not have him be menacing, but hollywood has managed it how many times now?

anyway that said i think this one could be good. who knows?

that wasn't really my point for mentioning it john. it's kind of clear that that's what he was meant to be, though. it's really besides the point, which is that to me a corrupt businessman is far less exciting than a scientist who can make things, to do.. things. businessman and politician lex is just boring as all hell comparatively. i really don't understand the logic behind saying 'hey lets take what was historically superman's nemesis, and remake him as a.. politician! well, i do understand the logic. it's more about DC making political commentary than it is about having compelling stories. if you look at the plots in superman comics, they aren't exactly shakespearean masterpieces. far from it. it just seems to me kind of a joke to try to work real world commentary into something that's written at maybe a 5th grade level. it's like having political/social commentary in WWE wrestling.

seriously. you're aware of the time where superman split into a red and blue supes? i really liked the death and return plot as a kid but i look at individual comics from that era now and cringe. its all about punching things and who can punch hardest, and having another dumb big monster each week, which is made out to be the ultimate monster, and another new, colored tights wearing super-hero with a different combination of the standard powers which would be featured in supes comics to try to springboard them into their own thing. why bring real world politics into a trainwreck like that? or at least why take the main villain of the comic and use HIM to espouse political views to teens/preteens?

Guest Gary C

[youtubehd]dwYatpwrs8s#![/youtubehd]

Lots and lots of action scenes. Careful you don't ruin the final film for yourself.

But I think I saw Clark/Superman with a withered face... And then he reaches towards the sun. I'm wondering whether Superman will get nuked and have to regenerate from solar power.

wow. it looks like at least someone is finally trying to make a good action packed superman movie. i don't want to get my hopes up too much, but it looks like at least someone is finally in the ballpark with what needs to be done with a superman movie.

looks like Snyder is also taking a cue from Sam Raimi's excellent super hero battle fight choreography from the Spiderman series. Which i approve of since I don't think any super hero film has been more visually exciting than Spiderman 2.

i've personally bitched about how they used zod in the older superman movie, because i didn't like his character and always thought they should have used brainiac or others first. but i think it looks like they might be using him in an interesting way here, creating moral dilemnas for supes to deal with which is another thing i've always thought needed to be in a good superman movie. he has to be forced into making tough decisions and maybe coming up with his own creative solution rather than the choices presented to him. at least, i always liked the comics best where they made him use his brain to solve problems.

i hope that part where he's falling into a pile of skulls is an actual scene and not a dream sequence or something. properly dark that is! Still have no confidence whatsoever in Zack Snyder's ability to put together a cohesively genuinely emotionally impacting film. Even though i got some enjoyment out of Watchmen, it's undeniable that it was an exercise in really good taxidermy but also somehow managed to suck out most of the truly emotional and dramatic moments from the book (with some exceptions, Comedian's confession was well done, so was the Mars scene).

I hope that with Nolan's guidance this doesn't just turn into another flashy music video type of movie, the cast though gives me some confidence that Russel Crowe and Costner wouldn't have signed off on something as banal as 300 or Sucker Punch

Archived