IGNORED

Man of Steel - New Trailer

Squee

because even the people who are most vocal about their hatred of certain films still very much enjoy films.

I have yet to see a film discussed on here that garners almost universal praise from the sour, bitter individuals who revel in wiping their opinionated arses with the latest blockbuster or 'event movie' long before they've seen nothing more than a few scant seconds of carefully chosen footage that in no way could be representative of the final film.

if there was universal love for everything here, watmm would be a pretty boring place no?

I'm not asking for "universal love" by any means... but why does seemingly everyone need to be so sour and bitter about everything when it comes to movies? Is that the "in" thing today, to hate on anything remotely popular?

For contrast, compare what I said to the comments preceding it about the trailer - I didn't shower it with praise, but I also didn't dismiss it as it had no hope of being worthwhile.

We need a Ridley Scott emoticon

i think perhaps you're confusing, at least on my end hatred of things simply because they are popular with being an extreme comic book/star trek nerd. If i didn't care about the source material I probably wouldn't have anything to say about it. I feel like Superman, at least since Donner stopped doing them has been massacred as a film series. If you're a fan of science fiction at least understand where I'm coming from, nobody has really tackled this aspect of Superman or really any comic book franchise especially in DC (besides the horrible green lantern) and it's much needed in my opinion. The Superhero movie trope and tradition has already become tired because they re-use the same formula over and over again but the comics themselves have so much more interesting material to draw from. For example, check out the DC animated movie All-star superman, half of the movie takes place in the fortress of solitude where it's basically a Willy Wonka in the chocolate factory for Superman's inventions. No movie has even shown the simple crazy fun stuff of the Superman comic, such as the key to the front door of his fortress being made of a piece of star, so it weights like 100 tons and only someone with the strength of superman can pick it up off the ground.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest zaphod

i don't agree with that, because the christopher reeves version is hardly definitive. but this looks like poop. i know i'm never going to see silver age sci fi superman or something along the lines of all star superman or geoff johns various runs but this looks like the same dour shit that killed superman returns. why is everything so dark? whole movie looks like it takes place inside a depressed computer.

haha, "inside a depressed computer". Yeah everything looks that way these days, pretty much. Snyder can "make good trailer" but that's about it.

i haven't seen the reeves version since I was a kid, I'm sure the effects are extremely dated, but christopher reeves has a great presence. Kind but otherworldly, plus the archetypal good looks. This guy looks like the scruffy, surly B-version of Hugh Jackman (who himself is a B version of...someone).

still don't understand why studios havent used a comic book template as an excuse to just do a crazy sci fi movie. Make a superman movie about Krypton please, but stop making 'origin story' cookie cutter comic book movies, it's just ridiculously bland.

Guest zaphod

yeah this guy doesn't look like superman to me. actually, hugh jackman looks more like superman than him. or at least he has the attitude down. i always imagine that the prestige is actually a superman vs batman movie.

basically DC / warner let Nolan completely obliterate any chances of making a Justice League movie that comes even close to the Avengers (and that movie wasn't even that great). I guess it's up to Gullimero Del toro now to save DC as a movie vehnicle with his 'dark universe' idea. Although it sounds too good to be true, if they do Constantine and Swamp Thing in a movie together, properly it could be fucking awesome

Guest zaphod

since i know hollywood is reading my posts and reviews on this forum and carefully taking notes, i'd like to see a cosmic scale sf comic book film. also, reboot the shadow. it's everything that was missing from nolan's batman. gangsters, psychic powers, dames. get a cg orson welles to play lamont cranston, maybe throw in some pre-code violence and drug use. can't go wrong.

No matter how baddass they try to make him, I will always stand by the opinion that Superman is a little bitch... Batman has kicked his ass at least 3 times as far as my comic knowledge goes, and Batman doesn't even have powers.

You just know that (unfortunately) the cool battle scenes in the first 10 seconds of the trailer will feature for 15 seconds in the full movie.

And the rest will be Clark falling in love with Louise Lane (again) and killing arresting a bad guy.

Guest Donkey Rhubarb

Supes should keep rocking the beard! Fuck shaving. I really dig the new score too by hans zimmer. Bang the drums.Cautiously Optomistic

• 2 weeks later...

I refuse to watch something that doesn't have scenes with the main character staring into an empty room or a field for five minutes straight. Or a movie where people talk about simple every-day topics in a sad voice for the majority of the movie. I REFUSE!

This Superman thing is not ART. I need my movies to be ART. I can't just sit down and be entertained for two hours. I just can't.

ART

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Gary C

I pooped.

Loved the alien signal bits.

Oh wait, that's only the message.

Here's the longer one (with more smashing and Inception bass).

[youtubehd]NlOF03DUoWc[/youtubehd]

if its more of that last trailer then I'll get up off my arse but it's just having to go through the boy from another planet crashes on a farm story yet again which I hope they won't drag out too much

that last Superman film was too long and too shit and Jack Schnider can make good looking fluff (Watchmen, 300) or absolute toss (Sucker Punch)

Archived